bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memorable First Day on the Job  (Read 5725 times)

hillsbororiver

Memorable First Day on the Job
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »

Rookie plumber 'burns down £5m mansion'

A rookie plumber is believed to have burnt down a £5 million waterside mansion on his first day at work.

More than 60 firefighters were called to the listed building after a soldering job went wrong, says the Daily Mail.

Kittery Court, in Kingswear, Devon, is owned by Andrew Brownsword - famous for his Forever Friends range of greeting cards.

Workers at the site were determined to keep the identity of their plumber colleague a secret.

But residents suggested the fire was accidentally sparked by a 17-year-old apprentice.

John Howes, of Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said the plumber was working for a firm of sub-contracted mechanical engineers and was "very upset".

He said: "It appears at this stage that this was an unfortunate plumber who was soldering in the roof space of a large building, which was undergoing total renovation."

One neighbour of the property which stands in 1.6 acres said: "I heard it was started by a teenager on his first day. You have to feel sorry for the poor lad. He must feel terrible."

Anyone have any "welcome to your first day" stories?  :o

Peace,

Joe

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:47:36 PM by hillsbororiver »

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Memorable First Day on the Job
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »

;D  ;D

My first day was too long ago!    ;D

gmik

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 04:02:27 PM »

My first job was at an ice cream parlor.  I stayed cold and w/ a sore arm all summer.  Also they threw away all unsold goodies and we couldn't even pick em out of the garbage!!

rk12201960

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »

Hi Joe,
my first job was on a drilling rig in Singapore.
My Dad hired me and I thought, this is going to be easy, NOT!

He handed me a sledgehammer and pointed to the side walk on the rig and said, You got a lot of work young man I suggest you get to it!

He knew that the only way to teach me value was to put me in the pit so to speak. Little did he know he was teaching more than he thought.

So our Father now hands us a sword of understanding and shows us what has to be cut down and rebuilt in the true light of Gods Word.

Wisdom and Peace

Randy  8)

jER

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »

Hello Joe,

This would not be a renovation of...Joyce Meyers, and company?
Just wondering? (5 million - wow?)

- jER   ;)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:55:54 PM »

jER,

So what is the scoop on Joyce Meyers & Company?

Something I missed?  I understand that she is quite popular with the ladies.

Indiana Bob

jER

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:54:23 PM »

Let’s just say, "All who preach are not doing it, entirely for the Lord."

Furthermore, this may not be the thread for such discussions, if allowed (although, related to false teachings)?

-jER

Patrick

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »

My first "paying job" was working for my dad at his trucking business. Dad let me change the oil in one of his trucks (keep in mind this is a BIG truck with an oil capacity of 50 quarts). He bought motor oil in 55 gallon barrels.
After changing the oil, I replaced the hose back in the drum, cleaned up, and we left (it was the end of the day).
I was still a young pup, maybe 14, and when dad and I got to the shop the next morning, there was motor oil all over the shop floor (this was a big shop; you could park an 18 wheeler in there). Dad's first question was, "did you put the drain plug back in the oil pan?" "Yes Sir", I replied. "Are you sure?" "Yes Sir."
The fill hose had fallen out of the holder and started a siphoning affect and just about emptied the barrel.
I'm guessing there was about 20 gallons of motor oil on the floor; it was a huge mess.
Dad had to go buy more oil soak, and it took ten 25lb bags and 6 hrs to clean up.

One of my scariest moments was having a cotton bale explode on me when I tried to load it with the forklift. It was burning inside and when I squeezed it with the loader, it blew up. All of the other bales next to it started burning, some embers got over to the cotton trailers and started them on fire, next thing I knew, the cotton gin was on fire. None of this was my fault, but I sure heard about it from all of my dads friends.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »

Hi Patrick,

I bet your Dad's friends had a field day with that!   :D

My first day at Stromberg Carlson, well I should say first night as I was on the 2nd shift was also memorable. I was hired fresh from high school and my first job there was on the maintenance crew, my cousin Tommy who is a year older also worked there and had achieved the high status of Dispatcher but in reality he was a forklift operator moving materials around with various motorized pallet jacks, forklifts, etc.

Anyway, I was returning from lunch and my cousin was tearing down the aisle without a load and headed for the turn full steam ahead while giving me a "how cool am I" type of look.... as he made the turn the pallet truck started to tip and he jumped off in an attempt to keep it upright, it was a split second maneuver (quite impressive actually) as he managed to keep it from falling on it's side. It was balanced precariously for a moment or two but he began to lose the battle as I rushed to help him get it fully upright, just as I got there to help the Plant Manager (Night) came cruising by in his golf cart and shouted "what the **** are you guys doing?!!" His booming marine drill Sergeant voice startled us both long enough to lose our hold and gravity did the rest, BOOM! The metal hitting the concrete floor made a noise loud enough for a bunch of people to race over to see what was happening.

It must have been a great show for the spectators as they watched my cousin and I play a couple of Gomer Pyles as Sergeant Carter was screaming in our faces, "what are you clowns doing with our equipment?!!"

My cousin took full responsibilty immediately and the Big Boss told me to get back to my area as he continued spitting very loud questions at Tommy to the howls of laughter from the audience. I could not get away fast enough.

There was one benefit that came out of it, everybody pretty much knew who I was on my very first shift.  ;)

His Peace to you,

Joe

Patrick

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »

Hi Patrick,

I bet your Dad's friends had a field day with that!   :D

Joe, some of them are still having a "field day" with that, 30+ years later. ;D
The last time I went "home" (TX), I went to breakfast and saw some of dads old friends, one of them just happened to be the man that owned the cotton gin (those guys are still meeting at the coffee shop in the mornings). After all the "what the heck are you doing these days, you still have that death wish (speaking of the motorcycle racing)", Wendall (cotton gin owner) said, "you remember when you started that fire at my gin?" ::) That just opened the door for the others to say, you remember when you did this or that?
Of course, everyone had a big laugh and I got a free breakfast. ;D

headed for the turn full steam ahead while giving me a "how cool am I" type of look....

Have been in that position myself, and more times than not, had a similar result.
There was this girl that I had been trying to get a date with for several weeks and she decided to come to a race. I was leading the event, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw her standing next to the fence. Of course on the next lap, I thought I'd show off.
The end result was, I lost control and spent the next 2 weeks in the hospital , and she started dating another racer (she was not there to watch me, I found out later).
Hasn't our journey been an exciting one? ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.