bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about spiritual discernment.  (Read 5383 times)

Phazel

Question about spiritual discernment.
« on: April 13, 2006, 03:04:44 AM »

I guess I need something to  study on when it is recognizable that you actually understood from the spirit.

Is it being able to recognize the truths on rays site rather than rejecting them because of a different belief.

Is it feeling that  God speaks to you personally after reading a verse and your inspired in your own life and others may not need the exact same inspiration at that time?

Thanks for any help.

Michael A.

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »

OK.

Let's begin with defining the terms.

What is "discerment"?

Can you discern the difference between colors?  How well can you discern that difference - between say 100 shades of red - or only between red and brown?  Or does it depend on what light you're using when you look at it?

How about wine.  Are you a discerning connoisseur? Or do you prefer to select your wine by the color (red or white, or perhaps "burgandy")? Perhaps you prefer the aroma, or the taste, or the aftertaste. Perhaps it depends on what you're eating with it, or perhaps not. Maybe you enjoy certain labels (winery) most - some people do.  Or perhaps your choice could be based on what impresses your date - or the waiter.  Maybe it's a certain grape you're in love with, or a certain valley in a certain country.  Or a certain price - cork or screw-top.  

If you have children, can you discern the cry of a child?  Can you tell when he is angry, and can you discern the difference between an afraid cry and an "I'm hurt" cry?  It takes not only a hearing ear, but a loving heart to discern the finer things in life - from color to cries.

Can you discern the difference between criticism that is  brutally sarcastic and that which is only cloaked in sarcasm - but is really instructive?  Most people cannot.  

What is "spirit"?

Have you looked up the scriptural references for the word "spirit" and compared them all so you will be able to discern what is common to all the verses, as well as what is different?  That would be a good place to start: making sure we understand what spirit really IS, according to the scriptures.

Take a crack at it, with a few scriptures, and I'll help you along the way.  Together, we'll look into this discerning of spirits to see what light the good book sheds on it.

OK?

Phazel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 06:43:10 PM »

OK, I'll use my favorite verse.

"If anyone wishes to come after me", he said, "he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me" (Lk 9:23).

This to me has given me meaning in my own life more to encourage my son.

My son has always wanted to be a pilot.  There was obstacles along the way with the main one being an eye problem that would not allow him to pass the FAA exam.  He was crushed when we discovered that the fix for this problem was a cornea transplant and there was no gaurantees that it would correct his vision enough.   But I always reminded him of Gods promise to help us and this is one verse I use because to me it signifies that  nothing in this life is easy and everyday we must always remind ourselves that we may never be free of a daily struggle on earth to overcome, but the outcome of following Christ makes those struggles worthwhile.

My son now has had his cornea transplant 2 years ago and is currently in flight school and just 2 months ago received his single engine pilots license.

That kind of thing is my own thoughts about it anyway.

I think some people rather than getting encouragement , may see this as just to accept the despair of life.   Am I on the right track?

Michael A.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 12:10:28 AM »

I think you're on the right track of life, yes.  But I was referring to verses which include the word "spirit" so we could begin to understand what "spirit" really means by the context of its use in the bible.

Here's a site where yuo can do word searches in english:
http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/

Here is a word search I did on the word "spirit":

1. Genesis 1:2
      The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
      Genesis 1:1-3 (in Context) Genesis 1 (Whole Chapter)

2. Genesis 6:3
      And the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.â€?
      Genesis 6:2-4 (in Context) Genesis 6 (Whole Chapter)

3. Genesis 7:22
      All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died.
      Genesis 7:21-23 (in Context) Genesis 7 (Whole Chapter)

4. Genesis 41:8
      Now it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled, and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. And Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was no one who could interpret them for Pharaoh.
      Genesis 41:7-9 (in Context) Genesis 41 (Whole Chapter)

5. Genesis 41:38
      And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?â€?
      Genesis 41:37-39 (in Context) Genesis 41 (Whole Chapter)

6. Genesis 45:27
      But when they told him all the words which Joseph had said to them, and when he saw the carts which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived.
      Genesis 45:26-28 (in Context) Genesis 45 (Whole Chapter)

7. Exodus 6:9
      So Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel; but they did not heed Moses, because of anguish of spirit and cruel bondage.
      Exodus 6:8-10 (in Context) Exodus 6 (Whole Chapter)

8. Exodus 28:3
      So you shall speak to all who are gifted artisans, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron’s garments, to consecrate him, that he may minister to Me as priest.
      Exodus 28:2-4 (in Context) Exodus 28 (Whole Chapter)

9. Exodus 31:3
      And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
      Exodus 31:2-4 (in Context) Exodus 31 (Whole Chapter)

10. Exodus 35:21
      Then everyone came whose heart was stirred, and everyone whose spirit was willing, and they brought the LORD’s offering for the work of the tabernacle of meeting, for all its service, and for the holy garments.
      Exodus 35:20-22 (in Context) Exodus 35 (Whole Chapter)

11. Exodus 35:31
      and He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom and understanding, in knowledge and all manner of workmanship,
      Exodus 35:30-32 (in Context) Exodus 35 (Whole Chapter)

12. Leviticus 19:31
      ‘Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.
      Leviticus 19:30-32 (in Context) Leviticus 19 (Whole Chapter)

13. Leviticus 20:6
      ‘And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.
      Leviticus 20:5-7 (in Context) Leviticus 20 (Whole Chapter)

14. Leviticus 20:27
      ‘A man or a woman who is a medium, or who has familiar spirits, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones. Their blood shall be upon them.’â€?
      Leviticus 20:26-28 (in Context) Leviticus 20 (Whole Chapter)

15. Numbers 5:14
      if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him and he becomes jealous of his wife, who has defiled herself; or if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him and he becomes jealous of his wife, although she has not defiled herself—
      Numbers 5:13-15 (in Context) Numbers 5 (Whole Chapter)

16. Numbers 5:30
      or when the spirit of jealousy comes upon a man, and he becomes jealous of his wife; then he shall stand the woman before the LORD, and the priest shall execute all this law upon her.
      Numbers 5:29-31 (in Context) Numbers 5 (Whole Chapter)

17. Numbers 11:17
      Then I will come down and talk with you there. I will take of the Spirit that is upon you and will put the same upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, that you may not bear it yourself alone.
      Numbers 11:16-18 (in Context) Numbers 11 (Whole Chapter)

18. Numbers 11:25
      Then the LORD came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was upon him, and placed the same upon the seventy elders; and it happened, when the Spirit rested upon them, that they prophesied, although they never did so again.
      Numbers 11:24-26 (in Context) Numbers 11 (Whole Chapter)

19. Numbers 11:26
      But two men had remained in the camp: the name of one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad. And the Spirit rested upon them. Now they were among those listed, but who had not gone out to the tabernacle; yet they prophesied in the camp.
      Numbers 11:25-27 (in Context) Numbers 11 (Whole Chapter)

20. Numbers 11:29
      Then Moses said to him, “Are you zealous for my sake? Oh, that all the LORD’s people were prophets and that the LORD would put His Spirit upon them!â€?
      Numbers 11:28-30 (in Context) Numbers 11 (Whole Chapter)

21. Numbers 14:24
      But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it.
      Numbers 14:23-25 (in Context) Numbers 14 (Whole Chapter)

22. Numbers 16:22
      Then they fell on their faces, and said, “O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and You be angry with all the congregation?â€?
      Numbers 16:21-23 (in Context) Numbers 16 (Whole Chapter)

23. Numbers 24:2
      And Balaam raised his eyes, and saw Israel encamped according to their tribes; and the Spirit of God came upon him.
      Numbers 24:1-3 (in Context) Numbers 24 (Whole Chapter)

24. Numbers 27:16
      “Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation,
      Numbers 27:15-17 (in Context) Numbers 27 (Whole Chapter)

25. Numbers 27:18
      And the LORD said to Moses: “Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him;
      Numbers 27:17-19 (in Context) Numbers 27 (Whole Chapter)

This is only 25 verses, and there are many more.  But do you see (after reading a few of these verses) how you can begin to get a sense of what the word means from the context in which it is used?

Phazel

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 10:20:38 PM »

Well to me,  I see a common ground that is somethng that is not of the flesh, so anytime a passage is talking about spirit,  then I must try to see beyond my humanity.

I still may be missing the point.

I think my serious confusion over this is what I have seen growing up and in all the churches I have visited.

There are two perspectives that I believe are clouding my judgment.

1.  spiritual discernment was always used to explain how to understand a verses "true" meaning when if read flat contradicted the christian doctrine.

2. being filled with the spirit always explained rampant jibberish during a service,  flopping and rolling around on  the ground,  part of why I always doubted my faith was because I never experienced anything like this or even remotely close.

joyful1

wondering about tongues
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:59:29 AM »

I too am interested in understanding more about "spiritual discernment" and "the Spirit of God"...about 2 years ago, I stopped "speaking in tongues" because I simply felt in myself that this was not of God....(I've always been in control of it, however, I must say that I still believe that something supernatural is happening when the words come to my mind to speak, its almost automatic without any thought to it...which is what worries me now)....my husband and friends have questioned whether or not that was a wise decision for me....but I need more study on this, and until I can explain it scripturally to others, I won't allow those words to come from me at all....sorry if this is maybe getting off the subject....please disreguard if you want to keep this thread going in an another direction. Enjoyed the notes so far...good list!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.