bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good hymns/worship songs?  (Read 7349 times)

addisonrocket

Good hymns/worship songs?
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:22:45 AM »

Any suggestions for me to download?

mari_et_pere

Re: Good hymns/worship songs?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »

Be careful of hymns. Most you'll find contain unscriptural nonsense I'm afraid. They're beautiful, yes, but not to be taken seriously. IMO.

Matt

GODSown1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »

to TruE! Matt,
                 da sound may sound Good But! wot is it really sayn, Very deceiving!
                 muchLOVE!! Pera

LittleBear

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:07:11 PM »

Hi Addison,

So true, you have to be discerning and listen to the words. I'm more drawn to instrumental music at the present time, but I really like Paul Wilbur's music. Some of his songs are truly beautiful.

Ursula

mari_et_pere

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »

I thought I'd follow up on this. One thing about me: I'm a HUGE music fan. I'll like the heaviest of all heavy metal you could possibly imagine, and also the most beautiful love ballad you've ever heard. But one thing I've learned over the years is to discern what you're listening to.

I grew up singing hymns in a Baptist church. I've come to learn that most of what they say, good intentions all the well, is bogus. It's drivel. There's more meat in a Veggie Tales song than some of the heretical hymns we all know.

Just be careful what you're singing along with. You may find yourself uttering stuff you'd never say otherwise.

Matt

gmik

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »

I have the WOW yellow, and the blue one. I listen to them all the time in the car.

Hymns, alot of the time, are not scriptural as they said.  But if you can find choruses, most of them are scripture set to music.

GODSown1

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:03:23 PM »

hmm...
          um!... I hopE we werent 2 Harsh!:), got abit lost in2 wot was da Thread in da end lol!, had 2 go read it again :D.
          muchLOVE!! Pera

DuluthGA

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 04:04:47 AM »

Hello all,

Am I missing something here?  Regarding singing hymns? 

Eph 5: 19     Speaking to yourselves in psalms [this would be Scriptural as I take it] and hymns [this would not necessarily be Scriptural as I take it] and spiritual songs [again this would not necessarily be Scriptural], singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

SO WHERE"S THE PROBLEM WITH SINGING SONGS THAT DO NOT REPEAT THE SCRIPTURES EXACTLY????

I honestly don't get the line of thought that it would be wrong to sing a simple human song of praise.  Would a kind enlightened BT soul please help me out on this?

It is has become interesting to me that [as far as I can tell from my reading of the entire N.T.] that the making of any music AT ALL [in worship or praise] is essentially not referred to [again, AT ALL] in the New Testament.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So should we hang that (music/the playing of instruments) up too?  I an seriously curious about this.

I'm so very happy to be here!

Joy, Caregiver

skydreamers

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 04:50:05 AM »

I personally still love to listen to music of many different types.  Perhaps it satisfies a carnal desire, I don't know.  There are times it just seems to uplift my soul.

Whatever the truth is on the matter God has not made it clear to me one way or the other.  But we are creative beings, able to make beautiful music.  I can't see (at this point in my walk) that we should have to give that up. 

Having said that, I do understand why some have left it behind, especially the "Christian" music.  It does seem that the "Christian" music industry is following hard after the secular music industry.  But I don't think that means there aren't some inspiring artists however, that have a sincere heart for worshiping God through music.

One of my favorite groups for "worship" music is 100 portraits.  They are independent of the mainstream music industry, and they have put out several albums with songs that are based solely on scripture...like the Psalms.  I really love this music.

If you want to check them out you can go to their site and sample their music, and just pay and download the songs that you like.  I wouldn't know which ones to recommend because I think they are nearly all great.

Here's the site:

http://www.entertheworshipcircle.com/store/index.php?cPath=130_143&ref=1&sort=2a&page=show_all

Peace, Diana

LittleBear

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 08:36:57 AM »

Hi Caregiver,

I love music and I listen to worship music and also secular music. I can only speak for myself, but I love songs that bring my heart and mind closer to God, whether they be Christian or non-Christian.

From my earlier comment about being careful, I meant that I would now have a problem listening to and singing songs say, about the trinity, because I don't believe that now, and I wouldn't be true to myself and to God. I really listen to the words of songs now.

I like a lot of instrumental music, classical or some modern day composers. This music helps me to connect to God.  God gave human beings the ability to make and appreciate music, and I think it's a really good thing!

Hi Diana,

Thank you for the link. I'm going to check it out when I have access to a high speed computer. I'm always looking for new music. 

Love,

Ursula

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:22:46 AM »

As Ray says: "You've got to pay attention to the WORDS"

Dennis

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »

SO WHERE"S THE PROBLEM WITH SINGING SONGS THAT DO NOT REPEAT THE SCRIPTURES EXACTLY????

I honestly don't get the line of thought that it would be wrong to sing a simple human song of praise.  Would a kind enlightened BT soul please help me out on this?

It is has become interesting to me that [as far as I can tell from my reading of the entire N.T.] that the making of any music AT ALL [in worship or praise] is essentially not referred to [again, AT ALL] in the New Testament.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So should we hang that (music/the playing of instruments) up too?  I an seriously curious about this.

1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also.

Jam 5:13  Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Hi Deluth,

There are plenty of references to music/song/singing in the NT but the words being sung must be with understanding and truth and not parroted due to tradition especially when the tradition is based in error.

In regard to music in general or playing instruments like just about anything else these things can be used for good or evil depending on where the heart is, there is nothing inherently wrong with music, quite the opposite, it is a gift from God.

Remember;

1Co 6:12  All things are lawful unto me, but allthings are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Temperence and discernment, we need these two things in every part of our life.

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

His Peace to you,

Joe

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »

Yes, Paul wilbur is my favorite spiritual group too Ursula;  even though I don't listen to him much anymore since I came out of the Messianic groups.  I can listen to certain secular songs (rock and roll) and it will literally stir up my emotions to the point to where I begin praising God;  (for example, the rock and roll song called  "OOO THAT SMELL", since I praise God in knowing that my brothers no longer have that drug problem (praise Him)  And then there is a country song that speaks of a man who drank himself to death and how his wife did the same thing out of her deep sadness...it makes me stop and pray for the strength of a certain relative who struggles with alcoholism.  Certain others songs bring me joy and makes me smile and makes me just want to get up and dance to the beat of that song only.  I think music is such an individual and personal thing.  I currently am listening to 2 diff radio stations in order to win my little boy some monster truvck tickets; however, I am definately not into this heavy metal music.  Then there are certain triggers that some songs can bring to ones' mind and emotions that are not good triggers to think upon anymore.  :o :-*

I used to go to a church that sung only aucapella.  I spoke with a woman the other day who is in her 50's and she has lost all joy in her life...imo, it is b/c she has never been allowed to sing along with spiritual songs that use instruments.  Talk about a group of depressed people!  This is a HUGE spiritual issue for these people that they will never be able to get over in their consciences!   ???

skydreamers

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »

1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also.

Jam 5:13  Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Hi Deluth,

There are plenty of references to music/song/singing in the NT but the words being sung must be with understanding and truth and not parroted due to tradition especially when the tradition is based in error.

In regard to music in general or playing instruments like just about anything else these things can be used for good or evil depending on where the heart is, there is nothing inherently wrong with music, quite the opposite, it is a gift from God.

Remember;

1Co 6:12  All things are lawful unto me, but allthings are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Temperence and discernment, we need these two things in every part of our life.

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for adding that!!  For me personally, that just made things all the clearer, thank you thank you....!! ;D

Peace,
Diana

DuluthGA

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 05:37:36 AM »

Joe "hillsboro river", I have realized YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  Yip!   :)

Thank you!  I AM THANKFUL FOR THE VERSES YOU WERE ABLE TO BRING FORTH regarding this, as I had not found them until now.  Many thanks!

I especially like 1Cor 14: 25 that you presented:  THE PLAYING OF MUSIC.  [millions of thanks, I don't know how I missed this in my search, you are a God send on this matter.]

I very much appreciated 1Cor 6: 12, 1Cor 9: 25 and James 5:13

Thank you again!  I knew someone at BT could enlighten me!!!  ;D

Double kiss, Caregiver

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.