bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sun of righteousness? (Malachi 4:2)  (Read 7512 times)

jER

The Sun of righteousness? (Malachi 4:2)
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:00:47 AM »

Is this in relationship to the "SUN" gods (mythologies of Egypt), and not the true "SON" of God, Jesus Christ?
[KJV- The Thompson Chain-Reference Bible, 1964]

"For behold, the day cometh that shall, burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name shall the SUN of righteousness arise with healing in his (it’s) wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall."

Questions:

1.   Is this designed to deceive and confuse, leading the minds of people away from the True Son of Righteousness?
2.   Some translations have "its wings" and not his wings?
3.   Since, when is Jesus referred to as the "SUN", or by "IT"?
5.   Are the Scriptures that corrupt from the Syncretism (blending/fables) of World Religions?

I have heard some use, Psalms 19:4-6… "In them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun…And, there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."  Also that of Malachi 4:2, as mentioned above – referring to the Sun, as being Jesus Christ (the Sun of Righteousness?). Should we feel justified in applying these to the Lord, comparing Him to the Sun? I do not see where He is frequently compared to the Sun in the Scriptures. Sort of like saying, He spoke more on Hell, than Heaven, which we know is not the truth.

They have even gone to the extent of saying that Paul had slightly altered the words of this Psalms (of David) in Romans, chapter 10. Yet, I see Paul’s prayers for Israel and that of salvation being open to both the Jews and Gentiles, "for there is no difference", and the word of faith.

Is there a higher justification?
How can the Sun compare to the "SON"?

Read and understand what God tells the prophet Ezekiel (chapter 8) about the sins (abominations) of his people in a vision.

(13) He (the Lord God) said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

(14) Then, he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord’s house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women   
       weeping for Tammuz.

(15) Then said he unto me, hast thou seen this, O' son of man? Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than
       these.

(16) And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch
      and the altar, were about five and twenty men (twenty-five), with their backs toward the temple of the the Lord, and their   
      faces toward the east; and they worshipped the Sun toward the east. (Easter Sunrise Services are not of God in   
      origin
)

The Easter festival originated from the pagan worship of the Sun Goddess: the Babylonian Queen of heaven who later was worshipped under the name of Ishtar; the goddess of spring - for whom the celebration of Easter is named, its origins!

The legend of Tammuz is that he was out hunting and was killed by a pig, or boar (i.e. Ham for dinner - the sacrifice is in the oven?). After three days, he was resurrected and ascended into heaven becoming the Sun God. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Satan always attempts to counterfeit all that is of Christ, but you cannot associate light with darkness at all.

Has this pagan festival called Easter been blended into Christianity and celebrated by the people, under the guise of worshipping Jesus Christ, likewise, the SUN of righteousness?

Thank you for your time on this topic and any Scriptural insight given is greatly appreciated.

In all sincerity - jER

jackson

Re: The Sun of righteousness? (Malachi 4:2)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

Hey  jER,

I think that Malachi was refering to Christ as the "sun of righteousness".
Lets look at Luke 1:78 and 79.

78 Because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising SUN will come to us from heaven 79 to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.

This sounds to me like a reference to the coming of the Messiah.

Isaiah 9:2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.

Again a reference to the sun as the coming Messiah.

Numbers 24:17 "I see him but not now; I behold him, but not near.  A STAR will come out of Jacob; a sceptor will rise out of Israel; He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the sons of Sheth."

The "star" and "scepter" here was possibly initially talking about David but ultimately refers to Jesus.

Hope this helps.
Jackson

mari_et_pere

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »

"Sun" here comes from the Hebrew "sheh'-mesh"
shemesh - From an unused root meaning to be brilliant; the sun; by implication the east; figuratively a ray, that is, (architecturally) a notched battlement: -  + east side (-ward), sun ([rising]), + west (-ward), window. See also H1053.

I'd say He can easily be referred to as the Brilliance (Sun) of righteousness. Wouldn't you agree?  :)

Matt

rocky

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »

Once the sun is fully risen, directly overhead; the shadow disappears. 

mari_et_pere

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »

Jer, aren't the Sun religions fascinating to read about? Few people realize that our major "religious" holidays have pagan sun roots. Easter and Christmas are total pagan holidays, 100%. History books prove it. BUT that verse you quoted is not referring to a pagan sun god I don't believe.

Does Christ compare to the Sun? Of course not, then again it's a good analogy. He's shining the light of righteousness on all who have eyes to see. Of course this is all my opinion and conjecture and I may be shot down.  :D

Matt

LittleBear

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 02:31:52 PM »

As I understand it:

As the sun is to the earth, so is the Son to His elect. The earth cannot survive without the sun, all life would die, so the elect cannot live without Christ spiritually, they would die. The sun is a type or parable. Just because the pagan religions used it does not make it any less of a wonderful analogy.

Ursula

ciy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »

I have an acquaintance that really looks at all facets of religions.  He says that there was a sect of people at some time that said that the word Israel was supposed to be spoken as a question.  In other words, "Is Ra El?"  then he said the reply would be "El Ra Is." 
This is a liitle out there but it has always amazed me that the word Israel was set up to be able to be done this way.  Also El was El Elyon, Ra was the Egyptian sun god, and Is was Issis which was a pagan god. 
I just added this because it is interesting, not anything but a pagan belief.
CIY

mari_et_pere

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »

Ursula, that's awesome. I hadn't put that together. The sun is to the earth, sustaining life, as the Son is to us, sustaining righteousness.

CIY, that's interesting. I've never heard of that before! I'm not sure about all that though. Them back then, speaking Israel is a question wouldn't sound like that. "Is" in a question? Hebrew and Greek didn't even have a word for "is" in that sense. Makes me wonder what sect of people it was.

Matt

jER

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:21:14 AM »

Matt,

Yes, interesting, however, the questions were not regarding the entire verse in Malachi. I wonder - what has been added, or taken from this Book?

There is much contrasting in the Scriptures: i.e. Light (truth)/darkness (falsehood); good (right)/evil (wrong), but, SUN/SON is a compari-son.  Then, there is the Egyptian holy trinity (triad), designed to hide the truth, or comparison? All throughout the Bible - we find GOD pleading with the nation of "Israel" to stop this horrible practice of worshiping these blood thirsty-false gods. They refused! Although, nothing happens by chance.

However - thanks All for your perspectives (points) which are well taken.

- Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.