bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: She who is in Babylon...  (Read 7489 times)

jackson

She who is in Babylon...
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

Hey everyone,

OK, I've got a question.  As I'm sure this has been discussed here before I tried searching it but couldn't find any thing relevant.  So I'm sorry for bringing up old topics ... But I just gotta know ;D

I was reading in 1 Peter last night and as I got to the end I found something I'd never taken notice of before.  In Peter's final greetings of his letter he writes:

1 Peter 5:13  She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark.

Just a few questions:
1- Who is this "she" that Peter is talking about?
2- Why is she "chosen together" with God's elect (that is who the letter is addressed to)?
3- Is the "Babylon" he speaks of here the literal physical address from which he was writing (as in the Egyptian Babylon, which was a military post, the Mesopotamian Babylon; or maybe he was talking about Jerusalem or Rome)?
4- If Peter was using the name "Babylon" symbolically as it is used in Revelation then why is he there?

Again, sorry if this is redundant but I couldn't find anything in my Bible or here to explain this.  Of course its completely possible that I didn't know what to look for :-\

Questions are the easy part, answers raise the doubt ???

In His Grace,
Jackson

hillsbororiver

Re: She who is in Babylon...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:45:33 PM »

Hi Jackson,

King James reads;

1Pe 5:13  The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Mark my son.

Amplified Bible reads;

1 Peter 5:13 She [your sister church here] in Babylon, [who is] elect (chosen) with [yourselves], sends you greetings, and [so does] my son (disciple) Mark.

and Young's Literal Translation is;

1 Peter 5:13 Salute you doth the [assembly] in Babylon jointly elected, and Markus my son.

I believe the translation you quoted Rotherham's, which is normally the one I consult most especially when a question of contradiction arises, it appears Peter was addressing his letter from the church that was established in physical Babylon and is not a reference to spiritual Babylon the harlot.

His Peace to you,

Joe

PS To my knowledge this is the first time I heard this question asked.

Congratulations!
  ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again Jackson.

Sorry I didn't address the question of "she." The church is referred to as a woman, a clean and chaste virgin in the true church and a harlot or whore in the Synagogue of Satan.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:53:46 PM by hillsbororiver »

jackson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:27:21 PM »

Joe, that was fantastic!  Thank you.

The King James and the Amplified version makes much better sence.  I was quoting from the NIV which usually gives a good read but that verse really confounded me last night.  I went to bed thinking "what in the world is Peter talking about?  Maybe he has a girl friend??? ;D".

Any way I'm glad it's not so sinister.  It appears as though I've been a victim of a bad interperation or possibly clouded thinking on my part. :-[

Which ever the case, thanks again Joe for the clarity :)

Jackson

GODSown1

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:47:47 PM »

is d@ it??,
             JokEs!!!!! welL donE JOE lol! :D GOD is GOOD!.
             muchLOVE!! Pera

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »

Thanks guys, Ray has said many times he uses multiple translations in his research, if you don't already have a link to Bible Gateway here it is; http://www.biblegateway.com/

It is a very handy tool.

His Peace to you,

Joe

mari_et_pere

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »

That's why I like using e-sword. I've got tons of translations on it and can parallel them or compare them, have concordances, dictionaries, commentaries, maps, all at my fingertips, it's great!

Matt

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »

Hi all,

It never occurred to me to compare bible translations before coming to Bible-Truths.com.   As a JW, we were encouraged to use the New World Translation only.  Growing up as a Baptist, I recall  using the King James bible only.  Now that I'm out of Babylon, I see clearly how important it is to use various translations as a study tool.  The light keeps getting brighter! :)

Rene'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.