bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus' Body Marred Beyond Recognition  (Read 8265 times)

Joey Porter

Jesus' Body Marred Beyond Recognition
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:45:38 AM »

Isaiah 52
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him —
       his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
       and his form marred beyond human likeness—

How do you all think this applies in a spiritual sense?  Meaning -  the church is referred to as Christ's body in the New Testament.  But with all of the divisions in Christianity, and all of the sins committed in the name of Christianity down through the years, the true Christ is unrecognizable to the world, because the church (His body) does not represent Him in Truth.  The church, with all of its false doctrines, has marred His body.

But even still, the very next verse shows us that there will be a time when the True Christ will be recognized by all nations:

15 so will he sprinkle many nations,
       and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
      For what they were not told, they will see,
       and what they have not heard, they will understand

I think about how this also relates to Peter cutting off the guard's ear before the crucifiction.  Those who do not preach Christ in Truth actually use the sword (the Word of God) to "cut the ears off" of those who would listen, so that they can't hear or understand the True Word of God.  But Christ will heal the ears of those who have not heard the true message, just as He healed the ear of the guard who was sent against Him.

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:48:55 AM by Joey Porter »

rocky

Re: Jesus' Body Marred Beyond Recognition
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:58:38 AM »

This may be off track from where you were going with the thread, but I see it as he descriptive of the death of the flesh, the old man.

Completely disfigured, the old must die, so the new creation can be born. 

Jesus was the forerunner, the first to die, die to the flesh.  The circumcision of the flesh.  Marred, bloody. 

Just as John the baptist was beheaded, born under law, he had to lose his head. 

Mat 14:10  And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison.

The first fruits also have to lose their head

Rev 20:4  And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Just my thots, and sorry if this is a different direction you were going. 

Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 03:19:47 AM »

Good point.
I have heard some say (e.g. Jack Chick) that the extreme cruelty of the scourging and crucifixion cut Christ’s body beyond recognition. I think this is an accepted belief in our western tradition because we consider pain as physical.
However the Hebrew background is one of shame, as opposed to physical pain. There are many horrifically more painful ways to die, but none compare to the shame, humiliation and degradation of crucifixion. 

Now this is my point; I believe Christ’s face was marred by the emotional trauma that He knew was coming His way as He bore our shame and the forsaking of His Father.

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 03:37:42 AM »

I can see both of these views. It is kind of like like the potter and "the clay" analogy in Esekial and Romans. The OT speaks collectively of Israel as the clay and the NT speaks to us individually.

Spiritually speaking we are disfigured beyond recognition in the worlds eyes... they see us as apostate.  Everything we say is foolishness to them.  Everything about us disgusts them.  Just look at the emails to Ray.

The orthodox church imagines actual physical be-headings in the tribulation but we know that the spiritual/soul beheading is going on right now. We know that we have to mortify our 'self' and take up the cross daily.

The world wants to believe that after the sinners prayer, the price has been paid in full and now they await their material blessings. No pain only gain .  We believe what Jesus said .....the flesh profits nothing ....but the Word is Spirit and Life.

Beloved

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:32:37 AM »

This part of my post got cut off )

In addition Peter might have cut off an ear but we also have to remember that it is all in God's plan for them not to hear spiritually.

Deu 29:4  Yet the LORD hath not given you a heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day.

Because of their own sinful nature
Ti 4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2Ti 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine;but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

God can also give them a whole lot of ear wax (from these sought after TV teachers) to irritate and plug up their ears.

Beloved   

Joey Porter

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »

Thank you all for the replies.

I think about how Jesus said:

Matthew 23
 15"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell (gehenna) as you are.

This probably relates to Christ being unrecognizable to those who are led astray by the ones who use the Word of God in improper ways - by using condemnation and  fear of eternal torment. Or those who use it to control people.  Thus, the true Christ is marred and recognizable.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.