bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Refined  (Read 4684 times)

hillsbororiver

How Refined
« on: June 23, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »

Job 23:10  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

Zec 13:9  And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as  silver is refined, and will try them as  gold is tried: they shall call on my name and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Mal 3:3  And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Sometimes as I observe and contemplate the world around me trying to tie in the lessons God has signatured in His creation some thoughts will rise and constantly stir around in my mind. I thought it interesting as I was looking at some beautiful gold artifacts being displayed at how much effort and technique it took to get the raw material from the earth and the process(es) taken from the point of extraction to getting the finished product to the display case. I love how scripture continually points us to the natural, physical world to gleen His spiritual Truths.

Gold

Although the Earth's crust averages a mere 0.004 grams of gold per ton, commercial concentrations of gold are found in areas distributed widely over the globe. Gold occurs in association with ores of copper and lead, in quartz veins, in the gravel of stream beds, and with pyrites (iron sulfide). Seawater contains astonishing quantities of gold, but the process of recovery is not economical. The ancients found quantities of gold in Ophir, Sheba, Uphaz, Parvaim, Arabia, India, and Spain. By the time of Christ, written reports were made of deposits in Thrace, Italy, and Anatolia. Gold is also found in Wales, in Hungary, in the Ural Mountains of Russia, and, in large quantities, in Australia. The greatest early surge in gold recovery followed the first voyage of Columbus. From 1492 to 1600, Central and South America, Mexico, and the islands of the Caribbean Sea contributed significant quantities of gold to world commerce. Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, and Hispaniola contributed 61% of the world's newfound gold during the 17th century. In the 18th century they supplied 80%. Following the discovery (1848) of gold in California, North America became the world's major supplier of the metal. From 1850 to 1875 more gold was discovered than in the previous 350 years. By 1890 the gold fields of Alaska and the Yukon edged out those in the western United States, and soon the African Transvaal exceeded even these. Today the world's unmined reserves are estimated at 1 billion troy oz (31 billion grams), about half in the Witwatersrand area of the Republic of South Africa.

The distribution of gold seems to validate the theory that gold was carried toward the Earth's surface from great depths by geologic activity, perhaps with other metals as a solid solution within molten rock. After this solid solution cooled, its gold content was spread through such a great volume of rock that large fragments were unusual; this theory explains why much of the world's gold is in small, often microscopic particles. The theory also explains why small amounts of gold are widespread in all igneous rocks; they are rarely chemically combined and seldom in quantities rich enough to be called an ore. Elemental gold has a melting point of 1,063 deg C and a boiling point of 2,966 deg C.

Although each ounce of gold recovered requires the processing of about 100,000 ounces of ore, there is so much gold deposited in rock veins that this method accounts for more than half of the world's total gold production today. The gold in the veins may be of microscopic particle size, in nuggets or sheets, or in gold compounds. Regardless of how it is found, the ore requires extensive extraction and refining.

Crushed to powder;

When alluvial deposits were exploited, the separation of the mineral from the burden occurs as part of the panning/sluicing operations; the same process was often applied to the ores mined from other deposits. In this case it's necessary at first to crush and sieve the ore in water. The crushing of ore to a powder was performed first by heavy iron pestles in stone mortars followed by grinding mills with a vertical axis by the Roman times. The Laurion mines used a system in which the powdered ore was spread over a large, plastered, slightly inclined table surrounded by water channels. Water played over this (and recycled!) could be used to partially separate the metal from the ore. In the Roman period, alluvial deposits were excavated using large volumes of water - as much as 34 million litres per day provided by multiple aqueducts at a single site. The water could be delivered as a continuous stream or in waves to help remove unwanted components of the ore.

Not only fire but pass the salt please!

Gold and silver could be separated ("parted") by a process called salt cementation. In ancient times cementation required that gold be beaten into thin sheets and placed in a coarse earthenware container with salt (sodium chloride), heated between 600 and 800C for a few days. On heating, the salt evolves chlorine gas and HCl. The latter reacts with water vapour from the wood fire and ferric oxides found in the earthenware container to produce FeCl. The various chlorine compounds react with the silver, particularly along grain boundaries in the metal to produce AgCl which is volatile. The silver in the bulk of the grain diffuses to the boundaries and also reacts, the gold remains. The silver contaminates the container and the furnace from which it can be recovered by cupellation. The parting process is still the standard assay process; when the result of parting is no decrease in the weight of gold, the gold is pure.

I thought this was interesting, some very pertinent parallells don't you think?

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

skydreamers

Re: How Refined
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »

Hey Joe, I missed this before...that was super cool...thanks for putting that together.  I agree with you, it is beautiful to see the spiritual in the natural world around us, I missed it for most of my life, but now I eagerly search for it.  I was cleaning out my fireplace the other day of all the ashes...and the scripture came to me from Isaiah about God giving us beauty for ashes.  Simple but profound moment for me.

Peace,
Diana

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »

Hi Diana,

I was speaking of this with another member here a couple weeks ago, it is amazing that when our eyes begin to be open to spiritual things how the physical world also looks differently.

Remember as a small child how mysteriously wonderful the pedals of a flower would look as they open to the morning sun? Or capturing snowflakes and actually looking at the individual patterns in each one? All the wonders of His creation that surrounded us being anxiously absorbed by our young enthusiastic minds? As we get older we often are too busy, complacent or jaded to take much notice of these small little miracles of creation, our natural surroundings.

Now I tend to see the world with the eyes of a child but it is not so much the natural beauty or wonder that captures my attention but how anything and everything has spiritual implications as we see His Signature on all things, even the ashes in your fireplace!  ;)

At first we only see the physical but as we spiritually mature we see His Hand in everything and this is indeed a very exciting thing.

Thank you for your response.

His Peace to you Sister,

Joe

jER

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »

"I see", said the "blind man."

Great contrast to the process of our spiritual growth...

Thanks!

-jER

aktikt

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »

Joe,

I was talking about this exact subject with my brother a little while ago.  We were talking about how our minds were gaining a clarity and single-mindedness to them that we didn't have before.  I have noticed that I am actually able to concentrate fully on a task ... and complete it!  Instead of being a "double-minded man unstable in all my ways" I am beginning to have clarity in the things I set out to do.

Mat 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 

You also mentioned in your post above that you were viewing the world as a child does.  That is, like how children find beauty and mystery in the natural world.  I mentioned this very thing to my brother as we were talking about this clarity of mind I mentioned above.  We recalled these verses:

Mat 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
Mat 18:2  And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
Mat 18:3  And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 18:4  Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

This bolded phrase is rather strong language wouldn't you say. 

Josh

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:09:41 PM by aktikt »
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

Hi Josh,

I do know what you mean, instead of the conflict of doing something to just get by versus doing what is best we begin wanting to do things RIGHT, even if we know we can get away with something sub par or flat out wrong it is no longer an option, what a relief to be having that struggle purged away.

As seeing with the eyes of a child this world has become new, not really in an innocent sense but as far as seeing His wonderful creation as being a shadow for His spiritual truths. The lessons of the spiritual things being taught through the physical. So much of what I had been taking for granted as an adult I see now as timeless, not the physical matter but the spiritual lessons all around us, it has always been there but the scales were still on my eyes.

We are being refined Brother, it can get messy and a little hot but we can be assured He is right there with us!

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.