bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Marriage Feast  (Read 6784 times)

Kat

The Marriage Feast
« on: June 24, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »

In the early morning while laying awake in bed, I find in the quiet and dim morning light a good time for meditation.  The parable of the marriage supper came to mine and I thought these scripture seemed to fit together.  So I have searched out these scripture, that I felt help explain this parable.
In maroon are Matt. and Luke's account of this parable.

Luke 14:16  But He said to him, "A Man once gave a great banquet and invited many.
v. 17  And at the time for the banquet He sent His servant to say to those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'

Deu 7:6  "For you are a holy people to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.

Mat 22:1  And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying,
v. 2  "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a
King who gave a wedding feast for His Son,
v. 3  and sent His servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come.

Dan. 9:9  To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him.
v. 10  We have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets.
v. 11  Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice;

Mat 22:4  Again He sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, See, I have prepared My dinner, My oxen and My fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.'

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Mat 22:5  But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business,

Luke 14:18  But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to Him, 'I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.'
v. 19  And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.'
v. 20  And another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.'

Mark 4:19  and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

Mat 22:6  while the rest seized His servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them.

Mat 24:9  "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.

Mat 22:7 And, the King, was provoked to anger,—and, sending His armies, destroyed those murderers, and, their city, set on fire. (Rotherham)

Rev 19:11  Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The One sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
v. 14  And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following Him on white horses.
v. 15  From His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.

Mat 22:8  Then He said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy.
v. 9  Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.'
v. 10  And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

Luke 14:21  So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the Master of the house became angry and said to His servant, 'Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.

1Cor 1:27  But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
v. 28  and God has chosen the base things of the world, and things which are despised, and things which are not, in order to bring to nothing things that are;

Luke 14:22  And the servant said, 'Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.'
v. 23  And the Master said to the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that My house may be filled.
v. 24  For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste My banquet.'"

Mat 22:11  "But when the King came in to look at the guests, He saw there a man who had no wedding garment.
v.12  And He said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless.
v. 13  Then the King said to the attendants, 'Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
v. 14  For many are called, but few are chosen.

Rev 16:15  "Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame."

Rev 20:12  And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.
Rev 20:15  And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Luke 14:12  He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid.
v. 13  But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,
v. 14  and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

This is just my understanding, I would appreciate input.  If anyone finds other scripture that would fit, please post whatever you find.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Joey Porter

Re: The Marriage Feast
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »

This is a good thread.   :)

I think the parable in Luke 17 could relate to this issue also.

Luke 17
7"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? 8Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? 9Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "

This kind of goes back to Joe's thread about producing fruit.  In order to even be in the marriage feast, we will need to produce fruit - righteous acts.  As is written in Revelation:

Revelation 19
7Let us rejoice and be glad
      and give him glory!
   For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
      and his bride has made herself ready.
 8Fine linen, bright and clean,
      was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)

But we must keep ourselves from feeling as though we have done anything to deserve the feast.   It is truly a narrow path - producing a crop so that we might be found worthy of the feast, and yet, recognizing and acknowledging God's sovereignty in any works that are carried out through us.

How do we each, individually, ensure that we are producing a crop and "keeping our garments" while also acknowledging that is not us who is actually doing it?  I don't think that answer can be given from one man to another.  I think that comes down to each person relying on the guidance of God's spirit.  We rely daily on God to lead us in our own lives - to keep us from carrying out dead works, and to guide us into bearing the fruit, through us, that is according to His own will.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »

Hi Joey,

Good points.
It's true we must as you said, recognizing and acknowledging God's sovereignty

John 6:44  No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

And we have no power of ourself to do anything, you are right,
But we must keep ourselves from feeling as though we have done anything to deserve the feast.

John 15:5  "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

But we also have hope in Him.

John 15:7  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
v. 8  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:41:27 AM »

Hi Kat & Joey

This is a very deep thread and I pondered on it for most of the day, but then God graciously allowed me to see what I could not word.

You wrote:

Hi Joey,

Good points.
It's true we must as you said, recognizing and acknowledging God's sovereignty

John 6:44  No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

And we have no power of ourself to do anything, you are right,
But we must keep ourselves from feeling as though we have done anything to deserve the feast.

John 15:5  "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

But we also have hope in Him.

John 15:7  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
v. 8  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Joey made the valid point that all of this does indeed go back to Joes thread about producing fruit. Which prompted your response that "we also have hope in Him."

The Scripture you posted from John does hold the key. :)

Christ say's "If you abide in Me" but this is something that man cannot do on his own. How can mere man abide in anything but his carnal evil nature? :)

Christ follows with "and My words abide in you" but this is a with a twist; having the words of Christ, the Spirit of Truth is not by some chance event. It is not an "if" statement as some would believe.

This text would be understood better if Christ had said this: "If My words abide in you and you abide in Me you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you."

This puts everything into perspective. We cannot abide in Christ until He gives us the Spirit, wisdom and strength to do so, regardless of how much we may want.

And only then will one ever begin to bear the fruits of the spirit. :)

John 15:8 "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."

Joey I think this was the point you were making when you said: "But we must keep ourselves from feeling as though we have done anything to deserve the feast. "

Kat, you are perfectly correct as well, we are not without hope, but it is by him havng called us, not by us calling him. We must never forget that the fruits of the spirit are of the spirit and not of prideful man.

I thank you both for a very enlightening study. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:42:44 AM by YellowStone »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 02:24:27 AM »

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the input  :)

Your statement is right on target.

This puts everything into perspective. We cannot abide in Christ until He gives us the Spirit, wisdom and strength to do so, regardless of how much we may want.

And only then will one ever begin to bear the fruits of the spirit.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Chris R

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

Hi Kat,

after reading your thread i noticed something i hadnt before.

And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless,

Friend [ἑταῖρος]
a comrade, mate, partner

2) in kindly address

a) friend, (my good friend)

I thought it odd in the parable the the king addressed him as "freind" before he was cast out into outer darkness.

What do you all think?

Chris R

Kat

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »

Hi Chris,

I noticed that too.
What I think it must mean, is there are those in the church who have been duped into believe that they have Christ.  They have naively went along with what they have been taught.  I personally know some really good people in the church, but they are convinced they are saved now.  I don't think these people are enemies of Christ, but they must still go through the Lake of fire.
Well that's what I think  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:17:56 PM »

This may not represent only those still in Babylonian institutions/denominations but also to some who have come out of her yet did not endure to the end, one idol or another ensnared them even as they fellowshipped with the brethren.

Even the "chosen" must endure;

Joh 6:70  Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

Psa 41:9  Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

Psa 88:18  Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Kat

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »

Hi Joe,

That is a good point, only those who are faithful to the end, that is the end of this life or Christ's return whichever comes first.  They will be in the first resurrection, they will escape the wrath of God.

Luk 21:36  But watch at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of man."

Rev 17:14  They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with Him are called and chosen and faithful."

Craig, I have done a farther study on the word 'friend.'  Christ used the word on a number of occasions, but I found 2 meanings for the word.

Strong's G2083 hetairos; a comrade: - fellow, friend.
This sounds like more of an associate or aquaintance.

And there is this also;
Strong's G5384 philos; Properly dear, that is, a friend; actively fond, that is, friendly.
This is more a relationship with someone you know and are fond of.

So in the parable of the marriage feast, Matt. 22:12 ...''Friend(hetairos), how did you get in here without a wedding garment?''  The word freind here is 'hetairos,' this would mean a comrade, but not someone you would necessarily be fond of.

I could only find 2 other places where Jesus used the word friend with the meaning 'hetairos,' one is when He addresses Judas.

Matt 26:50  Jesus said to him, "Friend(hetairos), do what you came to do." Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him.

The other is in the parable of the workers in the vineyard.  At the end of this parable when Christ was handed out wage, some murmured or grumbled.  Christ adressed one of them 'friend' (hetairos).

Mat 20:8  So when evening had come, the Lord of the vineyard said to His steward, Call the laborers and pay them their wage, beginning from the last to the first.
v. 9  And when they who were hired about the eleventh hour came, they each one received a denarius.
v. 10  But when the first came, they supposed that they would received more; and they also each one received a denarius.
v. 11  And receiving it they murmured against the Master of the house,
v. 12  saying, These last have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and heat of the day.
v. 13  But He answered one of them and said, Friend(hetairos), I do you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius?
v. 14  Take yours, and go; I will give to this last one the same as to you.
v. 15  Is it not lawful for me to do what I want with my own? Is your eye evil because I am good?
v. 16  So the last shall be first, and the first last, for many are called, but few are chosen.

I wondered about the ones that 'grumbled' about what the Lord had done and He said "is your eye evil," which has to do with envy.  And He also said, "Take yours, and go," what does He mean by 'go'?  And He ends by saying, "for many are called, but few are chosen."  This doesn't seem to have a good outcome for the 'freind' that 'grumbled'  :-\

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

skydreamers

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »

Hi Kat,

It is interesting that John the Baptist knew he was not part of "the bride" but called himself the "friend/philos" of the bridegroom.

John 3:29
The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete.

Revelation 19:7-8
7  Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;
8  it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure"-- for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.

Luke 14:12  He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid.
v. 13  But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,
v. 14  and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Revelation 22:15
15  Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

but a couple of verses later....

Revelation 22:17
17  And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

Who could this invitation be to other than the dogs, sorcerers and immoral persons etc etc, because the righteous ones (the bride/Elect) and the spirit are the ones saying "come". 

It still is amazing to me to think that great men of God like John the Baptist will not be a part of the Bride/Elect..... :o ???

Peace,
Diana

Kat

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:35:32 PM »

Hi Diana,

That was interesting.  I'm seeing this word 'friend' has more implications than I knew. 
The whole thing with John the Baptist is hard to comprehend, but he died before the sacrifice was offered.  Maybe Christ had shared an understanding with him, so he knew God's plan, they were cousins. 
Though he will not be in the first resurrection, I believe he will enter the kingdom quickly.  And He will no doubt hold a position of honor, though he will not reign and rule with the saints.

I believe chapter 22 of Revelation, is wonderful.  It tells of the City, which I believe is symbolic of the kingdom.

Rev 22:14  Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.

Is this not speaking of those that are being brought into the kingdom, during Christ's reign.  As you memtioned there are those not yet purged still outside of the kingdom.

Rev 22:15  Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

But they too will enter, the invitation from Christ and the bride is to all.

Rev 22:17  The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

DuluthGA

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:30:27 AM »

Hi Kat,

Paraphrasing you (sorry I apparently cannot work the quote button):

'... some good people in the church ... I don't think they are enemies of Christ BUT they must still go through the LOF is what I think.'

How is it that you have come to discern this concept of who will and who will not be in the LOF? 

I've usually left this one up to Him, especially given:

John 5: 21    For even as the Father is rousing the dead and vivifying, thus the Son also is vivifying whom He will.

Appreciate your input on this intriguing matter!

With His joy, Janice
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:04:21 AM by DuluthGA »

Kat

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »

It's clear all must go through judgment.

Heb 9:27  And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

For the few God has predestinated to be faithful, those are judged now in this life, that they will be prepared to rule when Christ returns.

1Cor 11:31  For if we would judge ourselves (now), we would not be judged (later in the Lake of fire).
v. 32  But when we are judged (now), we are chastened by the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world (later).

1Peter  4:17  For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Rev 19:11  Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.

When Christ returns He will judge all people, this will be the white throne judgment, this is the Lake of fire.  The rod of iron that He rules with, will purge and cleanse people and the world will be brought to righteousness.

Mat 25:32  All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides His sheep from the goats.
v. 33  And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
v. 34  Then the King will say to those on His right hand, "Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
v. 41  "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, "Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Rev 20:13  The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
v. 14  Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death
v. 15  And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Isa 11:4  but with righteousness He shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and He shall smite the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips he shall slay the wicked.

Rev 19:15  From His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.

Isa 45:22  "Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
v. 23  By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'

Phi 2:9  Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the Name that is above every name,
v. 10  so that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
v. 11  and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:12:02 AM by Kat »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

Hello Janice

Common questions that come from Christiandom/Mystery Babylon are a) when did you accept the Lord? b) when did you get saved? c) when did you get born again?

All of those questions are born out of heresy, blasphemy, ignorance, and great deception. The false prophet that teaches these things will be cast into the LOF. Those who believe lies believe also the liar who was a murderer also from the beginning.

Those who hear the truth are called. Those who will die for it are chosen.

Like Judas, we may walk with Jesus, talk with Jesus, walk the walk and talk the talk but we do not know if we are elect or chosen until tested. Everyone will be tested. Some sooner than later.

From the LOF series I have come to understand  that testing is judgement and this is happening on the house of God now.  Many Christians may think they are doing just fine or that they are saved now. They are far from the truth.

I believe that to work out our salvation in fear and trembling becomes a reality by observing what we think, feel and do. This is what will ultimately be made known before the King of Kings and we will be accountable for it and will be judged for how we live both in our hearts and minds.

We know for sure that those who follow after false teachings and blind guides will be corrected. We also know that Mystery Babylon is not only a false guide, but is a lying deceiving hypocrite who seduces a following by providing the Heroine of heresy and the Opium of body life and a sentimental feeling of belonging to a hurting and lost majority. At some point for a few, the truth is heard. Thereafter we have to get to the point where we will die for it and not ignore, deny or resist it. Only those who do,and die doing so, have any hope to be in the first Resurrection.

This might sound harsh but it is not meant to at all. If anything I would hope that it simply points out that no one knows if anyone is elect or chosen while they are still alive and what Jesus said He means....Many ARE called...few are chosen.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

DuluthGA

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 01:14:15 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head Arcturus:  "No one knows if anyone is elect or chosen while they are still alive..." and I think it would be presumptuous to think otherwise.

Thanks,  :) Janice

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 05:20:01 AM »

Yes.

1 Cor 10 : 12 Therefore let ANYONE who thinks he stands, who feels sure that he has a steadfast mind and is standing firm, take heed lest he fall.

from LOF part 9 quoting Ray :

Remember always as we attempt to enlighten those whom God is calling that we are NO BETTER than those whose doctrines we condemn.

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.