bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back online  (Read 6775 times)

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Back online
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »

I thought I'd be productive Fri morning and do some cleaning up in the back pasture, now that all the weeds are dead from the lack of water and high heat.
I was doing some clearing with a tractor and pulled up my phone line (that was supposed to be buried a minimum of 18" below ground in pipe). So, I've been dead in the water since then. The phone comp pulled a quick one on me; the line was in pipe for about 6' from the pole, then it was just buried in the dirt, and 6' before the house it was run in pipe again. >:( ::)
So, I did a little rewiring this morning and service is back.
It's good being a "jack of all trades, master of none." :D ;D
Thank God, I have a friend that works for the phone company. He came out to see the damage, get a supplies list, and he is going to come out and help me replace the line and bury it IN PIPE on his next days off.
If I called in a work order, this would cost me about $500 to repair because I cut the line, even though the original work (10 yrs ago) was not done properly.

I was having withdrawls Sat night because I could not visit the forum. So, I watched some video of Ray to ease the pain. ;)
Yes, I confess, I could not check the racing results either. I had recent projects racing in TX and UT and wanted to see how they were doing "without" me.
One did not qualify  :(, and the other placed 14th out of 33 riders in his first "Pro AMA" event  ;D.

I have some catching up to do on the forum.

hillsbororiver

Re: Back online
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »

Hi Patrick,

Glad to see you back!

It is amazing that there is zero accountability with the phone company, maybe they should have a fitting slogan such as;

YOU PAY US TO FIX OUR SHODDY WORK!
(if you don't like it, fix it yourself)

Your friends at the phone company.  8)

Take care,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »

Good story Patrick.

I hate that w/drawal feeling! ;)

iris

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »

Hi Patrick,

I'm glad you got everything working again and were able to get back
on line.  It's awful not to be able to get on the Internet!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Iris

Patrick

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:55:06 PM »

Not long after I made the post, my "green acres" connection was lost and I could not get connected to the Internet.
Worked with AOL for over an hour trying to resolve the issue; they finally told me that all they could suggest was doing an uninstall and reinstall. I did and still had the same problem.
There is a Home Depot about a 1/2 mile from here, so I went and bought some Cat5 cable (I have the conduit), dug the ditch (8 hrs to dig 100' with a pick and shovel), ran the wire in the pipe, and called my buddy to see if he could swing by to help me hook it up. While I was awaiting his arrival, I tried to get connected again and everything went fine.
When my bud got here, I told him what had happened, and he laughed. He then told me, there is a phone comp guy working on a box just up the road. I did not understand how my phone could work fine, but could not get thru the dial-up process. He just grinned and said, stick to engines and let me hook up the line. Well, he knew that would not go well with me, but that's why he said it. His way of trying to relieve some of the tension I built up digging the ditch. We are not positive that the problem was phone comp related, but everything sure pointed that direction.
So, anyway, it's been a long day; I have the latest and greatest phone line and don't have to worry about hooking it with the tractor again. I do have to cover everything up tomorrow, but that will be a piece of cake.
My hands have never fit a pick or shovel very well, and I'll have about $100 in chiropractor bills to get straight again. ::) Crushed/compacted granite is hard digging. I'd hit it with the pick and it would only penetrate about an inch. After you got thru the first 6", the digging was not that bad. I'm tired and I hurt. :'( :)

Hi Patrick,

Glad to see you back!

It is amazing that there is zero accountability with the phone company, maybe they should have a fitting slogan such as;

YOU PAY US TO FIX OUR SHODDY WORK!
(if you don't like it, fix it yourself)

Your friends at the phone company.  8)

Take care,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I've had several conversations with QWEST about accountability. Customer Service really does not seem to exist with them.

Good story Patrick.

I hate that w/drawal feeling! ;)

Hi Patrick,

I'm glad you got everything working again and were able to get back
on line.  It's awful not to be able to get on the Internet!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Iris

Gena/Iris, being without never bothered me too much in the past, but it really did this time. Saturday night was an eye opener for sure. I have become dependant on the Internet for several reasons. What had me so worked up this time was that all my bills were due and I pay everything, except the rent, over the Internet and get all worked up if I let one become past due. I set it up that way due to all of my traveling. I could not ever convince myself to set them up on automatic payment, I felt more comfortable being involved in the payment process.
I just knew I was going to have to find my checkbook and do it the "old fashioned" way. I'd have to go buy stamps and take everything to the Post Office. So, instead, I hot wired the phone line to avoid this. ;D

Patrick

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:44:20 AM »

Hey Patrick,

My electric power line went from 120 volts to 75 volts and half the light bulbs went from almost white light to yellow.  The power company came right out and dug a hole to repair the electric and hit the telephone line and I too lost my phone and internet.  The phone man came out to fix it and advised that he didn't have a trencher available so he laid a line on the surface and connected it in about 10 minutes.  It's just small copper wire in our area.  The phone man did return a week later to bury the permanent, shielded line, but I was not out of service for very long and I only had to be careful to not snag the phone cable with my car when I drove over it.

I suppose if you had fiber optic cable it would be more difficult, but we only have that on trunk lines between cities here in rural Indiana.

Congratulations on your patience and long suffering and it's good to have you back.

Bob

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »

Still backfilling?  ;)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »

Hi there Patrick.  I'm glad your'e back online and fellowshipping.  (the internet seems to be one of those things...YA CAN'T LIVE WITH IT AND YA CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT...) ;)

If you are ever coming through from AZ., you have to drop by Lubbock  and say hi!  Your racing sounds adventursome and interesting. :D

Patrick

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »

Still backfilling?  ;)

;D

Backfilled, watered, tamped, and backfilled again.

skydreamers

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 03:34:01 AM »

Is this suppose to mean something to a city girl???   :D :D

Patrick, welcome back...however you did it ??? ::) :o ;D

Peace and luv to ya,
Diana

Patrick

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

Is this suppose to mean something to a city girl???    :D :D

Patrick, welcome back...however you did it ??? ::) :o ;D

Peace and luv to ya,
Diana

Just means I covered up the ditch. ;D

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »

The proper way!  ;)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

I thought the same thing Diana! ??? ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.