bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sure where I'm going  (Read 5075 times)

Dean Peterman

Not sure where I'm going
« on: June 28, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »

Dear Friends,

I actually feel a little lost at this point in my life.   I have spent the last 20 years studying the Bible and Systematic Theology.  I had no doubt that hell is a real place and that most people would end up there.  I was totally convinced that I had the truth.  It is sort of ironic that I started to question the existence of hell last year when I read Dr. Norman Geisler's four volume set of Systematic Theology which consisted of almost 3000 pages.  I have read hundreds of books on christian theology over the years but for some reason Dr. Geisler's chapter on Hell caused me to question the entire doctrine.  His proofs and justification for it struck me as being unreasonable, unbiblical and unjustifiable.  This spurred me to do further researach on the internet, including Bible Truths and a few other websites.   I eventually came to the conclusion that the Bible when correctly translated does not teach that people will be eternally punished in a place called hell.   However, if you understand the importance of hell in christian theology you know that without the doctrine of hell most of Christendom collapses.  It doesn't mean the Bible when correctly translated is wrong or that Jesus is not the Son of God etc, but it does mean that much of what I believed is not true.  Hell, more than almost any other doctrine is what holds Christendom together.  Without hell, Christendom is like a story without an ending.  So now that my understanding of the Bible has just crashed and burned into oblivion I am not sure where to go from here.  I know I am better off knowing the truth about hell but it does leave me with a lot of questions that need answers. 

Sincerely,

Dean

gmik

Re: Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »

Dean, we have ALL felt that way.  Please keep reading the excellent threads here so that you know you are not alone. Its bone-jarin, jaw dropping, meat of the Word.  It isn't easy.  But its the best way!!

Keep reading, studying, praying, and fellowshipping here.  You will get thru this period of your walk.

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »

Hi Dean,

Very sincere post, For me once i had been given one truth, the next truth came easier, "Free Will" is a powerful truth to wrap your mind around, keep reading the website, compare scriptures, keep studying.

Peace

Chris R

Kat

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 11:47:56 AM »

Hi Dean,

I have read hundreds of books on christian theology over the years

All the book in the world will not help your understanding, only the scrutures.
When you understand the few mistranslated words in the Bible and how Christianity has built their whole belief system on those mistranslations. 

Hell, more than almost any other doctrine is what holds Christendom together.  Without hell, Christendom is like a story without an ending.

There is an ending and a much better ending than the insane eternal, burning in hell that Christianity teaches.

At the white throne judgment all will be judged in righteousness, but it will be a severe correction to many.
You can read about that judgment in the lake of fire series.  Here is a link to a article on the judgments.

TWO JUDGMENTS BY FIRE
http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

mari_et_pere

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »

Without hell, Christendom is like a story without an ending.

It's not a story, and why does it need an ending? Sounds to me that God is doing a mighty work in you my friend.  :)

Matt

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »

Hello Dean

What an awesome experience you have come through....that of your house built on sand that came crashing down! That is precisely what is necessary before the truth is revealed to you.
Here is an excerpt from this link http://bible-truths.com/lake13.html

THERE IS HOPE FOR THE BUILDERS ON SAND

Yes, there is HOPE for all those who build their house upon the sand? But there is hope only according to God’s choosing. Remember, "many are called, but FEW ARE CHOSEN."

Every one who is chosen out from the called, will have first built their spiritual house upon the sand, and it will FALL! Every one who is of the chosen FEW will leave his "First Love" (Rev. 2:4). There is a time when all of the chosen will "look back," and see a time when they were not, "…FIT for the Kingdom of God" (Luke 9:62). It happened to Peter, it happened to the other eleven apostles, it happened to Paul, it happened to Paul’s followers, it happened to the entire early church, it will happen to US!

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

skydreamers

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 01:28:28 AM »

Hang in there Dean, you're on the right path! ;) :)

mari_et_pere

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 02:46:45 PM »

Dean, another thought on your post: you've spent 20 years studying. Why stop now? You're not lost, bro. You're at a turning point! You hit a fork in the road, and you've just turned down the right path! Don't lament over your past travels, rejoice at your new found quest!

I attended a private christian school from age 4 until I was 16. They taught me a lot. As far is the scriptures are concerned, however, most of it was dung. It took lots of studying and reading and praying and fellowshipping to realize the truth. I'm still learning, and with 20 years under your belt, I bet you can teach me a few things. Hang in there man.

Matt

UncleBeau

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:16:33 PM »

Hey Dean,

Do you remember when Jesus said, "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."? There was a time once that I was in deep thought about everyone going to hell. At that time I believed just like I was taught. I wondered if I were to ask God to save everyone, would he do it? Could I have possibly been more loving that God himself? Certainly not. Starting to believe whether or not something is true, like the false doctrine of hell, is like finding a watch on the beach like some that prove creation use as an analogy. Of course the thing was made, but for what purpose? Do people wonder "why" the watch was there? Of course they do, just not in that context. Even "if" there was a hell, what would it's purpose be? for torture? for revenge? If there's no purpose for such a place, then what would it be to God? a waste basket?

your friend,

-Beau

Dean Peterman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »

Dear Beau,

Thank you for your insights.  I don't know if I mentioned this before, but in case I did not, I want you to know that after much study and prayer on the subject I have concluded the Bible does not teach people are going to spend an eternity in hell.  As I now know this is a mistranslation.  I read through the entire New Testament and pulled out every verse that even remotely addressed the subject.  Then I  studied each of those verses to determine what they actually said.  To my surprise the Bible doesn't even close come to teaching the reality of an eternal hell.  I had been deceived.  I now know every verse that touches on the subject and even how many times the word hell is used (or misused).  People that believe in the existence of hell often say that Jesus taught more about hell then he did about heaven.  All I can say to that is, "You've got to be kidding."  Thanks again Beau.  I always enjoy your insights.

Sincerely,

Dean

UncleBeau

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »

thank YOU Dean, I think a lot of us have certain subjects that it takes a while to get a good grip on. You know, in law, some people specialize in specific things... like divorce attorneys and accident claims. The false doctrine of hell and things like proving the immortal soul issue seem to be where you are excelling more than others because you're looking at every twist and turn on the matter...every verse...every word. It takes a great man to put that much heart and determination into studying the Word of God. Sometimes I wish for that determination and drive for the truth in some of my family. Keep rightly dividing the Word, my friend. You're doing great!

your friend,

-Beau

Dean Peterman

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 08:14:56 PM »

Thank you so much Beau,

I appreciate your kind words.

Sincerely,

Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.