bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christians say you shouldn't question God  (Read 8636 times)

Lacey23

Christians say you shouldn't question God
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »

Christians say you shouldn't question God on everything.

I disagreed with them because it is the way we learn. We learn by questioning and we learn by getting the answer. I can't just sit be very accepting of what I've been taught and leave it as it is. How do you learn without questioning God. I believe that Its OK to question because  either way, God can answer or not answer, but all in due time.  I always believed that if you feel confusion in your heart- you should keep on questioning by getting the answers that will lead to your peace in your heart. Kids learn from questioning and from experience too. It should be the same way for us. I learned so much from questioning God. i mean- when a question pops in my head, it gnaws me until i find the answer to the question and i get peace once i get it from God because God is in everything.

Am i wrong to question God? can u give me scriptures that shows that it is OK to question God or is it wrong to question God?

Please help?

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
Re: Christians say you shouldn't question God
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

Lacey,

From what i see it isn't God's word that you are questioning, but man made doctrines. What we do is ASK God for the truth, not question it when received!!
Because Him in us confirms the truth!!
That's my view.

God Bless
Sandie
Walk in the Spirit

skydreamers

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »

Hi Lacey,

I also do not think it is wrong to question.  Questioning, as you say, is part of seeking answers:

Proverbs 2:2-5
2  Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
3  For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding;
4  If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5  Then you will discern the fear of the LORD, And discover the knowledge of God.

Isaiah 1:18
Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD

When we humbly and sincerely come before the Lord looking for His truth at whatever cost, we are in the right condition to receive answers, Lord willing.  But there have also been times for me that I've cried out in frustration and anger, because I was too confused and the answer didn't come quick enough.  I have learned to wait on the Lord, be patient and in the quiet is usually when things are made clear.

The Lord does not want us to me lukewarm.  Be passionate in pursuing the truth.  It is better to be hot or cold than lukewarm.  If you stay passive and accept whatever is preached to you without your own digging and without asking questions...than you'll remain where you are, stagnant with little growth.

Revelation 3:15-16
15  'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I would that you were cold or hot.
16  'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

Luke 11:9-10
9  "And I say to you, ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.
10  "For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it shall be opened.

So keep asking, because without questions there are little answers...

Peace,
Diana

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 05:34:41 PM »

Hi Lacey,

Sandie and Diana have given you some wise council, hopefully I can expand a bit.

The Roman church purposely kept bibles out of the hands of the "common" people so they could more easily teach the heresies that would give them the utmost power over the masses.

As a sidenote here is a small portion from Ray's Lake of Fire Part 7
http://bible-truths.com/lake7.html

And so it was Tyndale who accomplished this magical rhyme of Scriptures and yet stayed very precisely to the original Hebrew and Greek wording besides properly interpreting the meaning of thought. Of course, we all know, it was really God Himself Who intended the most popular version of His Word on earth, to have that special quality about it. Sadly, Tyndale translated only about twelve books in the Old Testament before the Church thought it necessary to burn him alive at the stake for making the Word of God available to the common people. We will learn more nasty little habits of the Church in the pages that follow.

In a sense that same thing is happening in many if not most of the denominations, just listen to the man (or woman) in the pulpit and don't concern yourself with challenging unscriptural doctrines, it is way over your head!  ???

However that is not what the bible teaches, over and over we are instructed to pray for understanding, seek Him, seek the treasure that is His Word, seek discernment, etc.

Psa 119:2  Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

Psa 119:4  Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.

Psa 119:5  O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!

Psa 119:6  Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.

Psa 119:12  Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.

Psa 119:15  I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

Psa 119:18  Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psa 119:19  I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.

Psa 119:73  Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may that I may learn thy commandments.

Joh 14:21  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

PS

Psa 14:2  The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

Pro 28:5  Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:40:19 PM »

Hi Lacy and Diana, and Joe who posted while I was compiling this :)

I too believe that it is not wrong to question Scripture and of course God. Questions do not have to accusatory as in: "Tell me why God, ...." but rather inquiringly with a gentle spirit as in: "God please give me the strength and wisdom to disern your truth that I am yet unable to see."

Big difference. :)

We know we can ask, for Christ himself said:

Mat 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.  

But we also know that we can ask wrongly, thatis with the wrong intent.

Jam 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.  

I was often told as a child: "Who are you to question God?" And my answer was always the same: "Truth needs no defense."

Besides, we are taught at an early age, if we don't understand something, then we must ask as to learn.

So Lacey, I agree with Diana, continue asking witha humble heart and I am sure understanding wil be given you. :)

Love In Christ Our Saviour,
Darren

Chris R

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:30 PM »

Hi,

OK, i'll bite...what would be your question?

Chris R

Shmeggly

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:49:12 PM »

I'm not a bible scholar by a long shot, but sometimes in the bible (like when David was in distress) we see things as very 2 dimensional and unemotional.  I think of David in Psalm 6 when he says "My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?"  I think he was very emotional, and REALLY calling out to God.  And questioning.  I think God doesn't want unemotional, always in control people; He wants real people who get real with Him and call out to Him.
I've been there, and I know God can handle it.  I hope that doesn't sound too crass or trite or anything.  It's just when you are in despair or really hurting, you're going to question and call out to God. 

I'm not an expert or anything close to it, and I have been wrong many times before and will be again (and again and again!)  Just my take on it. 

As far as "questioning God" in the church, like with a leadership decision or something, they'll always tell you not to question God or you'll suffer for it, but I like to look at how Jesus spoke to the religious leaders...he certainly questioned their motives.  The church is set up to be like a dictatorship where if you question leadership they say it's like questioning God....but it's not.  Chances are you'll be questioning carnal, business minded (not Christ minded) people who have their own agenda at the forefront and don't have a clue what God wants....(sorry, I got into rant mode there...

As a side note : not all churches are like that.  Just the ones in my experience and from what I've heard from other people.  I don't want to offend anyone who may still be going to church.  I have considered visiting back myself, just to connect with the people....

Chris R

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »

Hi,

OK, i'll bite...what would be your question?

Chris R

Hi Lacey23...

Anyone?...Craig Asked this question years ago...if you had a Question for God..then what would it be?  " I know it was worded differently Craig" but since were on the subject, just thought i'd ask it again.

No sence dancing around the issue, What would you ask the Creator of all things in heaven and earth?...
Peace

Chris R

rj

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »

Hey Chris.

I can't think of one question, that i could ask(the pot asking the Potter)Thats not already answered in scripture, especially if the question began with WHY. Not that i have all the answers, but i do trust that God's plan for all humanity is perfect.

Ron

chuckt

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

GREAT THREAD AND GOOD WORDS, I HAVE BEEN TOLD  THE SAME THING, WHAT A CROCK.

WE DONT QUESTION GOD , WE QUESTION TRANSLATION AND DOCTRINES OF MEN.

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

CHUCKT.

opps sorry bout the caps!!

mari_et_pere

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »

CHUCK! I SEE NO NEED TO YELL! WE CAN HEAR YA JUST FINE!

;D :D

I'll take time to agree with what everyone said. Very good responses, better than I could've done! And to Chris's question:

I'd have so many questions for God it would take all day to list. He'd make me mute for His own sake before I was done.

I think my main one: Why is Your plan played out exactly as it is? Why not differently? Why so You want  things exactly as they are? (why not? He won't mind the question.)

Matt

DuluthGA

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 03:52:13 AM »

Overall I will always have questions for my God.  I don't mean for this to be my signature item, but why in His written works, didn't He portray both  'His' Fatherly/Motherly state then Their firstborn Son all to indicate the progression of THEIR FAMILY all the more so and COMING SONS and DAUGHTERS [daughters, which are not specifically mentioned at all in the manuscripts, sigh.] Beats me.    ???

Love this thread.  Dear Diana you state you've learned to wait on the Lord.

At my stage, I only am learnING to wait on Him.  Please pray for me.

And I agree, Diana, you raised a great point that we find Him [His still voice] in the quiet...  in quiet... so true.  Who turns off their TVs and talk radio and CDs and DVDs, ipods, etc. to listen to His quiet???  Not many.

Thanks ALL,  Janice

skydreamers

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 04:55:30 AM »

Dear Diana you state you've learned to wait on the Lord.

At my stage, I only am learnING to wait on Him.  Please pray for me.

Hi Janice,

Of course I will pray for you!  Please pray for me also, because you said it much better than I..."learnING"....you and me both sister!  I love to be like a child before our Savior, but like a child I also still stomp my feet and ask "Why, why, why!"  on too many occasions...

Getting better,  but certainly not there yet! ;) ;)

Peace,
Diana

Kat

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 01:46:03 PM »

Hi Chris,

Anyone?...Craig Asked this question years ago...if you had a Question for God..then what would it be?  " I know it was worded differently Craig" but since were on the subject, just thought i'd ask it again.

There is a thought that keeps running through my head.  It's about the spirit.  Ray has talked about the eye and how wonderously it is made.  He also has said the God the Father is not a man, He doesn't have arms and legs or eyes,  because if he had eyes he couldn't see in the back of His head.  Ok I can almost understand that about God the Father.  But what about all the spirit being, spirit is invisible they really don't have eyes. 

Just how does spirit beings see?

I don't mean understand, I mean look at things.  With our eyes we have a narrow field of vision, as we get older we don't see as good. 
So when we become spirit, how will our vision be?  Will we be able to see anywhere at anytime and we will be able to just focus our mind on something and see it?  I just can't get this figures out to any degree, I just can't imagine it.  Not a serious concern, but something I'm curious about.
So that's my question, how does spirit see?  Anyone got any ideas on this?

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:05:38 PM by Kat »

skydreamers

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »

I don't mean understand, I mean look at things.  With our eyes we have a narrow field of vision, as we get older we don't see as good.
So when we become spirit, how will our vision be?  Will we be able to see anywhere at anytime and we will be able to just focus our mind on something and see it?  I just can't get this figures out to where to any degree, I just can't imagine it.  Not a serious concern, but something I'm curious about.
So that's my question, how does spirit see?  Anyone got any ideas on this?

ooooo....that's a good one Kat!  hmmmm, yet another thing to wonder about....as if my head wasn't enough in the clouds... :D ;D :)

Peace,
Diana

Snowfire

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »

Maybe they see the same way we hear thru spiritual ears.

Lacey23

Re: Christians say you shouldn't question God( new post from Denise)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »

Wow!!! IM SO impressed with all the information that has been given to me; I didn't think I would get this much.  thank you all for answering my question.

I in a way frustrated  by my friend's mother, its a long story. To make the story short. She, didn't like the idea of me telling her daughter about what I've been learning about from Bible truths website and reading articles and she recently told  me as soon as her daughter left the room, that I shouldn't be telling her daughter these things and that  I shouldn't get in the way between her and her daughter. She got upset when her daughter started asking questions about the bible and God. Her mom responded to her daughter's question by saying this quote "You shouldn't Question God" She had so many questions, so did  I. I tried to answer her questions with what i already knew and told her to do her digging and go to church if she felt the need to go, because in my beliefs, church meetings such as these are the way how God brings his children to him, lets just say its the 1st step for new Christians to learn and have the milk before they can have the meat. the church are the baby steps for Christians so that they can figure out whats wrong with man-made doctrines. I didn't want to act as an stumbling block for that reason.  Her mother kept on insisting that she and her family go to Church. I  told her that it was fine, but  I told her that it only takes 2 or 3 people to make that meeting and it can be taken anywhere- not just at the church building, because God lives in you, not in buildings.  She disagreed, She kept on saying that you should go to a house of God to worship then I  retaliated by saying that God wants u to worship him in spirit and in truth, and u can honor him in everything you do, and she kept on insisting that we go to church anyway to worship, praise and honor God on top of that and fellowship with other Christians. I told her that u can have that at a park, at a restaurant, or at the library or in your own homes. She got angry then cut me off by stopping the conversation. her and her family are of pentecostal religion I  just discovered that their church wasn't the right one. I was just trying to offer them some comfort and guide by letting them know that they can still fellowship with Christans but in a smaller setting but they didn't like it. they felt that they need to go to a building. After the conversation i had with them, Ive learned not to talk to them unless they ask me, because I'm sick of how they make me feel. They trample me over, doesn't' even respect my beliefs. That's OK. I just didn't like the way she made me feel after she cut me off my explanations  especially after  I took the time to listen to her side. she just didn't' let me finish, and she just cut me off. responded in a way where she told me not to "influence" her daughter, because of my beliefs, because of what I've talked to her about church issue and about questioning God.

Thank you all again for responding to my questions.  I've learned alot.  when they told me not to question God. I knew something was wrong with them. I mean- its common sense to question, because that's how you learn and I had to check with you guys and see if it was OK. I mean i couldn't really say much to them after they told me not to question God because i didn't know the scriptures to back me up on that issue.  I'm gonna just let it go with them because they are obviously not interested in learning right now.  Thank you all and I apologize for not responding sooner.

Love and Peace, Denise :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.