bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Poll

Are gods real ?

are real
- 1 (16.7%)
are figurative
- 5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: god(s), little g  (Read 4472 times)

CEO

god(s), little g
« on: July 04, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »

I'm reading a local author, Gerald Mcdermott.  Are the gods mentioned in the following real, seperate spirits or are they gods only in the imaginations of men??

Ps 82  God has taken his place in the divine council,
          In the midst of the gods he passes judgment.

Ps 89  The heavens praise your wonders, O Yahweh,
          And your truth in the council of the holy ones.
          For who in the skies can compare to Yahweh?

Deut 32:8-9  When the Most High apportioned the nations,
                    when he divided humankind,
                   he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
                     according to the number of the gods;
                    Yahweh's own portion was his people,
                       Jacob his alloted share.

Satan is the god of this world.  He is real.  Are the gods of the nations members of the heavenly host?  Are they real?
Are the gods being spoken of in these verses a prophecy of the elect who will be rewarded and rule with Christ?
Intriguing stuff.  Without bibletruths.com I would only be confused and fearful of these mysteries, instead I am only curious.

Askseeknock

Charles O

chuckt

Re: god(s), little g
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:10:37 PM »

23 For, passing through and contemplating the objects of your veneration, I found a pedestal also, on which had been inscribed, 'To an Unknowable God.' To Whom then, you are ignorantly devout, This One am I announcing to you.
24 The God Who makes the world and all that is in it, He, the Lord inherent of heaven and earth, is not dwelling in temples made by hands,
25 neither is He attended by human hands, as if requiring anything, since He Himself gives to all life and breath and all.
26 Besides, He makes out of one every nation of mankind, to be dwelling on all the surface of the earth, specifying the setting of the seasons and the bounds of their dwelling, for them to be seeking God, if, consequently,
27 they may surely grope for Him and may be finding Him, though to be sure, not far from each one of us is He inherent,
28 for in Him we are living and moving and are, as some poets of yours also have declared, 'For of that race also are we.'
29 The race, then, is inherently of God; we ought not to be inferring that the Divine is like gold, or silver, or stone, a sculpture of art and human sentiment.
30 "Indeed, then, condoning the times of ignorance, God is now charging mankind that all everywhere are to repent,
31 forasmuch as He assigns a day in which He is about to be judging the inhabited earth in righteousness by the Man Whom He specifies, tendering faith to all, raising Him from among the dead -- "
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:11:39 PM by chuckt »

josh

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »

While others may "exalt themselves" and "display themselves as being God" (2 Thess. 2:3-4)... I assure you, there is but one God.

1 Corinthians 8:4
Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.

1 Corinthians 8:6
But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.

Concerning the passages you originally inquired about...

Psalms 82:1
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods

The Hebrew word here that is translated into "the gods" is: 

"'Elohiym"
1) (plural)
    a) rulers, judges
    b) divine ones
    c) angels
    d) gods
2) (plural intensive - singular meaning)
    a) god, goddess
    b) godlike one
    c) works or special possessions of God
    d) the (true) God
    e) God

Here is another translation that may help to illustrate that this verse is not referring to other "gods"...

Psalms 82:1 (NASB)
God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers.

Now the next verse:

Psalms 89:5
And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O LORD: thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints.

The Hebrew word here that is translated into "the saints" is:

"qadowsh"
1) sacred, holy, Holy One, saint, set apart

Again, I believe that it is clear here that this is not referencing a group of "Gods."

The last verse, Deut. 32:8-9... I believe Rodger has already addressed.

Hope this helps.

God's Peace.
Josh

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:45:20 PM by In Medias Res »

Falconn003

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:01:31 PM »

Josh

BRAVO ! SPIRITUALLY said and divided so very well.

Charles
 Josh has provided for you here one of many patterns you can use with your study on the Word of God.

Rodger
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:02:40 PM by Falconn003 »

CEO

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »

Josh, Rodger, Chuck

I knew you would come through. 

You will not deny there are spirit beings, powers, principalities, rulers, authorities, cherubim, seraphim, elders and satan that God can use any way He wants?  These spirits have no power over the members of the body of Christ unless we allow them in.  Indeed when the elect's change comes the elect will rule and judge even them ?

This is good stuff.   

Askseeknock

Charles O
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.