bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loving your enemy.  (Read 14039 times)

lilitalienboi16

Re: Loving your enemy.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 12:54:37 AM »

I think if a person is brought to Christ and begins to have Christ living in him/her- then and only then will he/ she change from ungodliness to being Christlike. It is a process but there is no other way. Any other change is at a superficial level.

Bravo, Snack you nailed that.

Remember Christ said live by the sword and die by the sword.

You can never forcefully change anyones opinion by beating it into them.  Or threatening them (hell), they are just the same old filthy rags.  On the outside they may agree with you and want to be "one of the guys" but inside they are the same ole beast.

Craig

Craig, perhaps I am slow and if I have read your post wrong, then please forgive me.

People who live in glass houese should never throw stones. Oh it is so easy condemning our leaders and military for "killing" our enemies, while we live in a nation that has only ever had one serious attack on the main land in it's history. (forgive me if I am wrong, I have only been a citizen for 2 years) Is not the peace, saftey and the right to even converse online in this forum a direct result of the many decisions and sacrifices made by many commanders and countless young men and women who gave their life for the freedom we enjoy.

Yet there is more to this than simply letting others do our fighting for us, for are we not instructed to be in subjection to our earthly rulers whom are there and ordained by God himself. Who is one denying, if one refuses to serve in the millitary for "scriptual" reasons.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Rom 13:2  Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

Rom 13:4  For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil. 

Rom 13:5  Wherefore [ye] must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake

Well this is how I see it. :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

If you serve in war, and kill, you are denying God. If you refuse to serve in war because of the Word of God, and are thrown into jail, then you are bieng persecuted for righteousness sake, and you have nothing to fear.

Render to God, what is His, and to ceaser, his.

Follow the law, but if the law of our nation, the law of men contradicts that of God's law, then you know whose kingdom you are apart of.

Acts 5:29 "Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!"

We must obey God, rather then men my brothers and sisters.

Love to you all,

Alex

YellowStone

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »

Alex I agree.

We must always obey God before men

Rom 13:2  Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

So if we don't fight as commanded, who are we disobeying? Men or God?

Yours In Christ,
Darren

GODSown1

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 01:29:16 AM »

Alex! Amen brother,
                              Thanks dude Very up lifting! right wen I needed it, Thank YOU FATHER.
                              muchLOVE!! Pera

Sorin

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 01:53:54 AM »

Quote from: mrsnacks
Mr Snacks . You rest your case ? Is it that simple ?

Me resting my case was in the context of Christians not being true followers of Christ.

Quote from: mrsnacks
Aren't there some wars justified and others not ?

I think in the OT there were some that were justified, but not under the New Covenant.

Quote from: bleak
If the US were attacked ( I am not talking about 9-11) you would oppose the US to retaliate ?

The US is being attacked, as is the rest of the non-Muslim world. Would I oppose the US, or the rest of the world to retaliate? Of course not, then again I never claimed to be a "true follower of Christ" and I've even said before that I don't "love my enemies". But my point was, those who are "true followers of Christ" have to (love their enemies).

I think my problem is, I have all this knowledge, and I see things that Christians can not. Yet, I am still a sinning machine. But, I'd rather be a sinning machine than a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:00:47 AM by Sorin »

bobf

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 01:59:52 AM »

We should submit ourselves to the ruling authorities so long as they do not command us to break Christ's commandments.  Christ commanded me to resist not evil.  So if they command me to fight evil with guns, bombs, killing etc....   Disobeying them is obeying God.

YellowStone

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 02:27:54 AM »

We should submit ourselves to the ruling authorities so long as they do not command us to break Christ's commandments.  Christ commanded me to resist not evil.  So if they command me to fight evil with guns, bombs, killing etc....   Disobeying them is obeying God.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Rom 13:4  For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.  

Yes, but Bob, by whoses authority is the sword wielded or gun fired? By whose order is the command given? Is he who is fighting not a God ordained revenger to execute wrath (punishment) upon him that doeth evil.

So how can such as these be disobeying God or the teachings of Christ? This not saying that I have the God given right to protect many family, but it is saying I do NOT have the right to refuse the command to fight. The command given by an authoritative figure, put in place and ordained by God.

Does it not say that whom ever resists such orders will recieve damnation. How will anyone explain that they didn't understand to Christ on Judgment Day. It seems pretty clear to me.

Love in Christ,
Darren

Redbird

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 03:05:30 AM »

Darren,

It is late and I am tired...so this may be a really dumb question.  Are we sure that all the books of the bible are written specifically to us?  Just a thought, because I tend to go by what Jesus says more than any other person in the bible.

Peace to you dear brother,
Lisa

josh

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 03:06:30 AM »

Mr. Snacks,

Christ's commandments are spiritual (John 6:63) and cannot be understood by those who do not have the God given understanding to compare spiritual with spiritual...

1 Corinthians 2:10-16
But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God's deep secrets. No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit. And we have received God's Spirit (not the world's spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.

When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit's words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, WHO can know the Lord's thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ

Unfortunately the carnal mind is at opposition to the things of God...

Romans 8:6-8
So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. That's why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God

The leaders of this country, or any other country for that matter, whether past, present or future have been raised up by God and are simply acting out the sequence of events that God has caused in order to show those who he has chosen that the way of this world, only leads to more war and death... that their is a more excellent way, LOVE.

Unfortunately, those who wage wars here on this earth do not have their minds fixed on the spiritual, but instead are busy trying to fix this broken physical world. They are too concerned with the physical and cannot be expected to follow the spiritual law that Christ brought... there are very few that are chosen to know and understand this path.

That being said, you ask... is God opposed to his children fighting in combat?

Those who are true followers of Christ are "Ambassadors of Christ" (2 Cor. 5:20) and consider their citizenship to be in heaven. (Philippians 3:20). We have revoked our earthly physical citizenship and have become ambassadors for Christ... and should no longer participate in the politics or military affairs of what is now a foreign country to us.

You then ask... "We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the American revolution. So does that mean that the revolution was not of God ?"

While "ALL THINGS" are being worked according to God's plan (Ephesians 1:11)... the life that is required of the elect is very different than that of the rest of the world.

God is using those who have not heard, those who have heard and have ignored, those who are called but are deceived, those who are chosen but not faithful, and those who are chosen and faithful till the end... God is using all of these individuals in order that His perfect and entire will for this age is accomplished.

As for the tragic events of 9/11... and other similar events in history, the world will continue to act in the only fashion they know how.... "an eye for an eye" ... but for those of us who are attempting to endure to the end, that we may be found chosen and faithful... we must abstain and live a quiet and peaceable life.

1 Timothy 2:1-2
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.

Our wars are fought with prayers similar to this.... "not mine, but thy will be done."

God's Peace.
Josh

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:09:13 AM by In Medias Res »

Kat

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 03:15:27 AM »

Here's how I look at these scripture, Darren.

Rom 13:1  Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. This would be talking about God's sovereignty over all governing power on earth.
Rom 13:2  Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.  To resist what God has ordained, by taking up arms, will incur judgment.
Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,  So rulers are not to be feared for those of good conduct, and do what is good, like love your enemies, and you will receive his approval.
Rom 13:4  for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; he is the servant of God to execute his wrath on the wrongdoer. Sounds like God is in control here.  Why would God's chosen join up and literally fight, what God has ordained to be.  When the sword is used by God chosen, it is His Word, that spiritually kills.

Heb 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

GODSown1

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 03:17:05 AM »

Hey Lisa,
             same here I 2 go by JESUS & wot HE says mainly, I dnt no jus cant help it :).
             muchLOVE!! Pera

jER

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 03:44:12 AM »

Late one night, in a dark corner of a parking lot, two young ladies (they were younger than eighteen, although, age is not a prerequisite) were being raped by eleven older men
(if you dare call them, men).

God has already prepared you for combat (Special forces) and you are a true believer in the entire Word of God.

Now then, do you walk the other way, ignoring the situation altogether? And, turn the other cheek? (Keep in mind that it is not your cheek, nor your enemy) Or, do you intercede? (Counting the cost and fully aware/prepared for the outcome) Would you, lay your life down for them?

If these were my daughters - I could only pray that the Lord would send a man like their father, to be an intercessor for them, as well.

"…For He did not give you a Spirit of fear, but of love, sound mind and power."

(without graphic details) – jER

Please, comments welcome…to know to do good and not, is sin – is it not?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 04:09:52 AM »

Late one night, in a dark corner of a parking lot, two young ladies (they were younger than eighteen, although, age is not a prerequisite) were being raped by eleven older men
(if you dare call them, men).

God has already prepared you for combat (Special forces) and you are a true believer in the entire Word of God.

Now then, do you walk the other way, ignoring the situation altogether? And, turn the other cheek? (Keep in mind that it is not your cheek, nor your enemy) Or, do you intercede? (Counting the cost and fully aware/prepared for the outcome) Would you, lay your life down for them?

If these were my daughters - I could only pray that the Lord would send a man like their father, to be an intercessor for them, as well.

"…For He did not give you a Spirit of fear, but of love, sound mind and power."

(without graphic details) – jER

Please, comments welcome…to know to do good and not, is sin – is it not?

I would as you would, walk up to these men, and demand they stop their terrible acts immediately in the name of Christ, and if they don't, that God have mercy upon there souls and forgive them, and that He send an angel to protect these young girls.

If my please for them to stop does nothing then i would get between them and the women and try with my body between the two parties end this awful evil act. If i am beat down, and they continue to rape the women, i would again stand up and put myself between the men and the women, and if i am knocked down again, then i will stand up until the Lord brings a miracle to intercede, and to show them the power of Christ, and the power of His love!

Offcourse, i say this, but would i really do it? Haha Only God knows.

Lord willing if such evil were to arrise and any of us were found in this situation or one similar that He use us, and work through us to perform His perfect and good will. That He would make known to these evil men before Him the power of His name!

Him be glorified =]

God bless,

Alex

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 04:16:06 AM »

Mr. Snacks,

Christ's commandments are spiritual (John 6:63) and cannot be understood by those who do not have the God given understanding to compare spiritual with spiritual...

1 Corinthians 2:10-16
But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God's deep secrets. No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit. And we have received God's Spirit (not the world's spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.

When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit's words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, WHO can know the Lord's thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ

Unfortunately the carnal mind is at opposition to the things of God...

Romans 8:6-8
So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. That's why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God

The leaders of this country, or any other country for that matter, whether past, present or future have been raised up by God and are simply acting out the sequence of events that God has caused in order to show those who he has chosen that the way of this world, only leads to more war and death... that their is a more excellent way, LOVE.

Unfortunately, those who wage wars here on this earth do not have their minds fixed on the spiritual, but instead are busy trying to fix this broken physical world. They are too concerned with the physical and cannot be expected to follow the spiritual law that Christ brought... there are very few that are chosen to know and understand this path.

That being said, you ask... is God opposed to his children fighting in combat?

Those who are true followers of Christ are "Ambassadors of Christ" (2 Cor. 5:20) and consider their citizenship to be in heaven. (Philippians 3:20). We have revoked our earthly physical citizenship and have become ambassadors for Christ... and should no longer participate in the politics or military affairs of what is now a foreign country to us.

You then ask... "We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the American revolution. So does that mean that the revolution was not of God ?"

While "ALL THINGS" are being worked according to God's plan (Ephesians 1:11)... the life that is required of the elect is very different than that of the rest of the world.

God is using those who have not heard, those who have heard and have ignored, those who are called but are deceived, those who are chosen but not faithful, and those who are chosen and faithful till the end... God is using all of these individuals in order that His perfect and entire will for this age is accomplished.

As for the tragic events of 9/11... and other similar events in history, the world will continue to act in the only fashion they know how.... "an eye for an eye" ... but for those of us who are attempting to endure to the end, that we may be found chosen and faithful... we must abstain and live a quiet and peaceable life.

1 Timothy 2:1-2
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.

Our wars are fought with prayers similar to this.... "not mine, but thy will be done."

God's Peace.
Josh

Beautiful post Josh, i couldn't have said it any better.

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

All this spiritual battle is not takeing place on some physical battlefield such as the middle east, or the grounds of europe during WW2 but rather;

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

To pera, ty for your kind words, i'm glad i was able to help, whatever little bit =]

Love to all,

Alex

excellenttrader

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »

Hey jER,

Excellent example.  I'd like to see a couple more verses to back up the one you mentioned of "to know to do good and not, is sin," but it seems to me that this verse does support stepping in and fighting these guys, if necessary, in order to help the girls.  What kind of love are we showing to the girls if we don't help them?  Seems to me that if you don't help, then indirectly, if not directly, you are helping the men commit their crime. 

I'm throwing my own opinion out here, without any verses other than the one you mentioned, so maybe I'm just trying to justify the carnal side of me.  But, it seems to me that there is a difference between me turning my personal cheek when an enemy is attacking me directly and me turning my cheek when someone else is getting their cheek hit.  It takes courage and love to turn my own cheek and it takes courage and love to defend someone else's, but I'm thinking you're only showing fear if you don't defend that someone else.

Before I answered here, I pictured myself standing before God and being held accountable for how I handled this issue.  I just can't see God saying, Well done, thou good and faithful servant.  You had the knowledge, ability and opportunity to defend two innocent girls from being brutally raped by 11 evil men and you just stood there and said, "Hey guys, you're being really naughty here.  And in the name of my God, I plead with you to stop!"  Sorry, just can't see it.

But I'd really love some more verses to show me I'm right or that I'm totally thinking in the wrong.

Off to bed,

Mike

bobf

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 06:10:06 AM »

Yes, but Bob, by whoses authority is the sword wielded or gun fired? By whose order is the command given? Is he who is fighting not a God ordained revenger to execute wrath (punishment) upon him that doeth evil.

Yes, the sword is wielded by the authority of God and the person fighting is exectuing God's wrath on men like Saddam.  But God does not generally "give the order" to the rulers and they obey.  That's not how it works.  Do not mistake being appointed by God with obedience to God (examples below).

So how can such as these be disobeying God or the teachings of Christ?

They can and do disobey God even though they are appointed by God.

Pilate was a ruling authority, given power by God over Christ to have Him crucified. But Pilate was not obeying God when he delivered Christ to be crucified.  Pilate had no clue God had given him any power and he received no order from God.  Pilate was doing exactly what God's hand had determined to be done. Yet he was sinning.

John 19:10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? 11  Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Acts 4:27  For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

The pharoah of Egypt was raised up by God for the very purpose of disobeying God's commandment to "let my people go!"  Satan was given authority by God to try Job and to tempt Christ. The king of Assyria was sent by God to render judgment on Israel (Isaiah 10) but he had no idea God was sending him and had his own evil purpose for doing so.

In Acts 4 & 5 the apostles were commanded by the rulers and elders of Israel not to preach about Jesus. But they continued to preach and were put in prison for it.  The angel of the Lord set them free and commanded them to keep preaching.

Acts 5:28  Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us. 29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

There is a difference between not resisting the ruling authorities and obeying their commands when those commands are contrary to God's.  Jesus did not resist the authorities.  Nor did the apostles resist.  But the apostles obeyed God when the ruler's commands opposed God's.

God bless,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:28:07 AM by bobf »

Chris R

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 07:58:43 AM »

Hi folks,

I think this thread has covered everyones opinions, the topic isn't new, it gets started every few months or so.  I believe watching allot of T.V. generates images of helpless victims, and supernatural hero's,  fact is, few if any of us will ever face such a situation in our lives, If any of you out there have come across eleven men raping a young girl. let me know how you reacted to it?

All i can say for the military forces, is that i pray for your safety, and I pray for your enemies, that all will come to the knowledge of the truth.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Jhn 15:12-14

But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, [Luke 6:27]

I suppose one can argue until blue in the face, but it says what it says. You are NOT going to find scripture that contradicts the above verse, just to satisfy your carnal lusts

Why do you call me Lord Lord, And do not the things I say? [Luke 6:46]

Peace

Chris R

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »

Chris,

And you might wish to add that the discussion never ends well.

That is why I will lock it now.

God will never put us in a situation that we are not prepared to handle or give us a lesson to learn

Craig
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.