bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One of the most forgotten men in Scripture  (Read 14646 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
One of the most forgotten men in Scripture
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »

I have been pondering something for a few days now, and have thought of this question many times in the past.  If I could meet and talk to one person in the bible (other than Jesus) who would it be?

Paul?, one of the disciples? An OT saint or prophet?  No

I think I have came up with the answer, at least for me, at this point in my life. 

Care to guess?

Blessings!
Craig

rk12201960

Re: One of the most forgotten men in Scripture
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »

Hi Craig,Great question!
Hmmmm  ???

Would it be Adam?

Gods speed.
Randy

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »

Hi Craig,

Now you got me to thinking about this.
Probably not one that you mentioned.

Right Randy, what about Adam, first man, walked with God in the garden, would be some really good conversation there.  I'd talk to Eve get the women's perspective.

Or what about Noah, building the ark, but amagine seeing all the animals come on board, and the floor, then the new land.  You would get some interesting stuff from him I'm sure.  But I would talk to his wife, you know the women's perspective.

Then what about one of Jesus' brothers, it would be great to hear stories of Him growing up.  And yes I would want to talk to His sister.

Interesting question.  One day we will be talking to all these people  8)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Redbird

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »

Hi Craig,

Jabez came to mind.  Though he wasn't altogether forgotten, as a little book came out several years ago, dedicated to his prayer.  But, the bible does not tell us what happened to him....after God granted his request!  I would like to find out what became of him.

Peace, Lisa

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »

Hi Craig,

I have two men whom I would like to speak too. One would have to be Jonas, so I could find out what really happened during his time in the belly of the whale. :)

There are of course many wise and nobel men that could teach me much, but the person whom I would like to speak to most would be the centurion who stood at the foot of the cross as Christ died.

Something was revealed to him then and there, for he said:

Mar 15:39 And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.  

To me, that must have been the most profound experience possible. I wonder how it changed his life.

Great question :)

Love in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:28:04 AM by YellowStone »

DizzyD

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »

Craig,
                         You really know how to get people to blow a gasket so early in the morning.
               I had the same question put to me about 2 yrs ago and I have had time. I have mused about this off and on and at this point and time have a candidate in mind. The reason for this person came about because of his commitment to what he was called to do in an age where it could have cost him his life if hes was wrong but he trusted the calling. This person would be Joseph. I would absolutely love to know what it would have been like to watch my Savior grow up before my eyes. I do wonder what stories Joseph is going to have to tell.

Craig

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:43:29 AM »

Bravo!!!!!!!!!
Dizzy

I'll elaborate more myself later today.

Craig

mari_et_pere

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

I do wonder what stories Joseph is going to have to tell.

Gosh I about spit my pop out when I read that line! If Joseph is anything like my parents, he'll embarrass the socks off of Jesus. "Ha! Did I ever tell ya about the time that Jesus was helping me on the roof, and it was still wet........"

Matt

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »

Hi Craig,

There are really so many Adam, Abraham, Moses, Job, David, Isaiah, actually any and all the men of old would be awesome to say the least, but Joseph and his unique perspective of our Lord in His youth and the personal trials the circumstances of Mary's pregnancy and Jesus' birth presented to him (and Mary) must have been an experience only he could explain.

Great topic!

Joe

Craig

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »

O.k.  Joseph the earthly father of Jesus was my choice.

At this point in my life and in the middle of the awesome responsibility of being a parent, I would love to meet and talk to Joseph.

Mary is always talked about and Joseph is just an asterisk but can you imagine the pressure he must have felt and how blessed he was among men to be chosen to rear the Son of God?  I can't even imagine. A father must instill many things into a young man as he grows up, and for God to give that responsibility to Joseph must have been very humbling to him.

Remember that in that day and age the women kept the home but the men took the role of taking care of his family both spiritually as well as their physical existence.  How he must have worried for Jesus well-being.  What would it have been like to raise Jesus as a son and teaching him a trade?  What kind of example would he need to have shown Jesus while interacting with others, his worldly views, etc.?  How bad must he have felt when he failed to live up to the responsibility given to him and he displayed the human traits all fathers do at times?

Would he have lost his temper with Jesus at times? (Son, how many times have I told you, measure twice, cut once?) :D

In my humble opinion, Joseph was probably the greatest man in scripture next to Jesus, and I would love to talk with him.

Craig
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:58:53 PM by Craig »

Patrick

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 08:15:16 PM »

Would he have lost his temper with Jesus at times? (Son, how many times have I told you, measure twice, cut once?) :D

Jesus: Dad, remember Who you are talking too.  :D

Sorry, Craig, I could not resist. ;D

I can't imagine having children in any day and age. It scares the beejeebies out of me.
Endeavour to Persevere!  Lone Watie (Chief Dan George/Outlaw Josey Wales)

Robin

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »

I ran across this letter years ago. When I read it, it really hit me that the men and woman in the bible were human just like we are. That's easy to forget sometimes. The letter is just a story and not in the bible, but I thought it could have possibly happened in this way. They were all human just like we are with struggles and emotions just like we have.

Joseph's Letter Home
by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson

Dear Mom,

We're still in Bethlehem--Mary and I and little Jesus.

There were lots of things I couldn't talk to you about last summer. You wouldn't have believed me then, but maybe I can tell you now. I hope you can understand.

You know, Mom, I've always loved Mary. You and dad used to tease me about her when she was still a girl. She and her brothers used to play on our street. Our families got together for supper. But the hardest day of my life came scarcely a year ago when I was twenty and she only fifteen. You remember that day, don't you?

The trouble started after we were betrothed and signed the marriage agreement at our engagement. That same spring Mary had left abruptly to visit her old cousin Elizabeth in Judea. She was gone three whole months. After she got back, people started wondering out loud if she were pregnant.

It was cloudy the day when I finally confronted her with the gossip. "Mary," I asked at last, "are you going to have a baby?"

Her clear brown eyes met mine. She nodded.

I didn't know what to say. "Who?" I finally stammered.

Mom, Mary and I had never acted improperly--even after we were betrothed.

Mary looked down. "Joseph," she said. "There's no way I can explain. You couldn't understand. But I want you to know I've never cared for anyone but you." She got up, gently took my hands in hers, kissed each of them as if it were the last time she would ever do that again, and then turned towards home. She must have been dying inside. I know I was.

The rest of the day I stumbled through my chores. It's a wonder I didn't hurt myself in the woodshop. At first I was angry and pounded out my frustrations on the doorframe I was making. My thoughts whirled so fast I could hardly keep my mind on my work. At last I decided just to end the marriage contract with a quiet divorce. I loved her too much to make a public scene.

I couldn't talk to you. Or anyone, for that matter. I went to bed early and tried to sleep. Her words came to me over and over. "I've never cared for anyone but you.... I've never cared for anyone but you...." How I wished I could believe her!

I don't know when I finally fell asleep. Mom, I had a dream from God. An angel of the Lord came to me. His words pulsated through my mind so intensely I can remember them as if it were yesterday.

"Joseph, son of David," he thundered, "do not fear to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."

I couldn't believe my ears, Mom. This was the answer! The angel continued, "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

The angel gripped my shoulders with his huge hands. For a long moment his gaze pierced deep within me. Just as he turned to go, I think I saw a smile on his shining face.

I sat bolt upright in bed. No sleep after that! I tossed about for a while, going over the words in my mind. Then I got up and dressed quietly so I wouldn't wake you.

I must have walked for miles beneath the moonless sky. Stars pricked the blackness like a thousand tiny pinpoints. A warm breeze blew on my face.

I sang to the Lord, Mom. Yes, me, singing, if you can imagine that. I couldn't contain my joy. I told Him that I would take Mary and care for her. I told Him I would watch over her--and the child--no matter what anyone said.

I got back just as the sun kissed the hilltops. I don't know if you still recall that morning, Mom. I can see it in my mind's eye as if it were yesterday. You were feeding the chickens, surprised to see me out. Remember?

"Sit down," I said to you. "I've got to tell you something." I took your arm and helped you find a seat on the big rock out back. "Mom," I said, "I'm going to bring Mary home as my wife. Can you help make a place for her things?"

You were silent a long time. "You do know what they're saying, don't you, son?" you said at last, your eyes glistening.

"Yes, Mom, I know."

Your voice started to rise. "If your father were still alive, he'd have some words, I'll tell you. Going about like that before you are married. Disgracing the family and all. You... you and Mary ought to be ashamed of yourselves!"

You'd never have believed me if I'd tried to explain, so I didn't. Unless the angel had spoken to you, you'd have laughed me to scorn.

"Mom, this is the right thing to do," I said.

And then I started talking to you as if I were the head of the house. "When she comes I don't want one word to her about it," I sputtered. "She's your daughter-in-law, you'll respect her. She'll need your help if she's to bear the neighbors' wagging tongues!"

I'm sorry, Mom. You didn't deserve that. You started to get up in a huff.

"Mom," I murmured, "I need you." You took my hand and got to your feet, but the fire was gone from your eyes.

"You can count on me, Joseph," you told me with a long hug. And you meant it. I never heard another word. No bride could hope for a better mother-in-law than you those next few months.

Mom, after I left you I went up the road to Mary's house and knocked. Her mother glared at me as she opened the door. Loudly, harshly she called into the house, "It's Joseph!" almost spitting out my name as she said it.

My little Mary came out cringing, as if she expected me give her the back of my hand, I suppose. Her eyes were red and puffy. I can just imagine what her parents had said.

We walked a few steps from the house. She looked so young and afraid. "Pack your things, Mary," I told her gently. "I'm taking you home to be my wife."

"Joseph!" She hugged me as tight as she could. Mom, I didn't realize she was so strong.

I told her what I'd been planning. "We'll go to Rabbi Ben-Ezer's house this week and have him perform the ceremony."

I know it was awfully sudden, Mom, but I figured the sooner we got married the better it would be for her, and me, and the baby.

"Mary, even if our friends don't come, at least you and I can pledge our love before God." I paused. "I think my Mom will be there. And maybe your friend Rebecca would come if her dad will let her. How about your parents?"

I could feel Mary's tiny frame shuddering as she sobbed quietly.

"Mary," I said. I could feel myself speaking more boldly. "No matter what anyone says about you, I'm proud you're going to be my wife. I'm going to take good care of you. I've promised God that."

She looked up.

I lowered my voice. "I had a dream last night, Mary. I saw an angel. I know."

The anguish which had gripped her face vanished. She was radiant as we turned away from the house and began to walk up the hill together.

Just then her mother ran out into the yard. "Wait," she called. She must have been listening from behind the door. Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"I'll get your father," she called, almost giddy with emotion. "We," she cried as she gathered up her skirts. "We," she shouted as she began to run to find her husband. "We ... are going to have a wedding!"

That's how it was, Mom. Thanks for being there for us. I'll write again soon.

Love, Joseph

The Birth of Jesus Christ
Matthew 1:18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
   20But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23“The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”–which means, “God with us.”

24When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Joey Porter

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:29:10 PM »

O.k.  Joseph the earthly father of Jesus was my choice.

At this point in my life and in the middle of the awesome responsibility of being a parent, I would love to meet and talk to Joseph.

Mary is always talked about and Joseph is just an asterisk but can you imagine the pressure he must have felt and how blessed he was among men to be chosen to rear the Son of God?  I can't even imagine. A father must instill many things into a young man as he grows up, and for God to give that responsibility to Joseph must have been very humbling to him.

Remember that in that day and age the women kept the home but the men took the role of taking care of his family both spiritually as well as their physical existence.  How he must have worried for Jesus well-being.  What would it have been like to raise Jesus as a son and teaching him a trade?  What kind of example would he need to have shown Jesus while interacting with others, his worldly views, etc.?  How bad must he have felt when he failed to live up to the responsibility given to him and he displayed the human traits all fathers do at times?

In my humble opinion, Joseph was probably the greatest man in scripture next to Jesus, and I would love to talk with him.

Craig

This is a good point.  I, myself, have always just thought of Joseph as being just there.  But you bring out a good observation about him.  He had to have been a man of fine character to be the earthly father of Jesus.

My guess was going to be Tola son of Puah, the son of Dodo.   8)

GODSown1

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:20 PM »

Wow!!!! Amen & Amen,
                                   d@ was so Awesum!!!, yep! hez my choice 2 :).
                                   muchLOVE!! Pera

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »

Judas.  Definitely Judas.

Peace

(Been on vacation, but kudos for some interesting discussions!)

DuluthGA

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 04:04:18 AM »

I would have voted for Judas also.

With intrigue, Janice

Chris R

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »

Hi Craig,

I like the way you think!....I suppose a sit down with Joseph would be really enlightening, Great choice!

But i guess "depending on were your thoughts are" I would pick "Lazarus"
How many guys could ya sit down with and say....so..how did it feel to be ressurected back to life? Ceartainly there is no perception in death, but we do feel the process of dying, and likewise, we must then "feel" the process of ressurection.

But even more than that "Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus."[John 11-5]

Lazarus knew the Lord, and that conversation would be pretty cool also!

thanks

Chris R.

TimothyVI

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »

All of the apostles made great sacrifices for Jesus.
But I think that Judas made the first and possibly the greatest sacrifice.
He made his very name a synonym for traitor. And don't forget that Jesus chose him
for that task.
I would definitely like to talk to him.

Tim

chuckt

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »

goliath :P

hillsbororiver

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »

You know if anyone wants to have a sit down with Judas there are plenty of his ambassadors in the pulpits and on TV who are constantly betraying Jesus for filthy lucre. They too have the same spirit within them as Judas did in him.

Luk 22:2  And the chief priests and scribes sought how they might kill him; for they feared the people.

Luk 22:3  Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

Luk 22:4  And he went his way and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him unto them.

Luk 22:5  And they were glad and covenanted to give him money.

Luk 22:6  And he promised and sought opportunity to betray him unto them in the absence of the multitude.

I remember "Jesus Christ Superstar" where the premise was that Judas was the real hero of the New Testament, the gospel of Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.