bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All in All  (Read 6613 times)

ciy

All in All
« on: July 03, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »

These verses are a good, simple example of how God operates all in all.

6And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd.
7But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered.  8And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.
Jonah 4:6-8

I have done it and I know of so many others that would say, "God sure is good to me.  He provided me a large leaf to shade me against the sun." 
Then when all hell broke loose, "The devil came and took away all of my joy and happiness.  He even made it worse than it was before I had the shade."

Amazing, the greatness of God's plan.
CIY

lilitalienboi16

Re: All in All
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »

These verses are a good, simple example of how God operates all in all.

6And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd.
7But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered.  8And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.
Jonah 4:6-8

I have done it and I know of so many others that would say, "God sure is good to me.  He provided me a large leaf to shade me against the sun." 
Then when all hell broke loose, "The devil came and took away all of my joy and happiness.  He even made it worse than it was before I had the shade."

Amazing, the greatness of God's plan.
CIY

LOL, poor jonah.. haha thx for the scripture =]

Love,

Alex

gmik

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »

WOW.

I knew that story, but not in that context.  Thats how we Christians treat scripture.  God did, God prepared, and we turn around and say satan did it.

Truly, God is All in All.  Luv it!!

skydreamers

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »

Hi CIY,

Thank you for sharing that!  Your post caused me to go and read that whole chapter of Jonah.  There's a lot in there, but it is so very cool how more and more reading of the bible is solidifying everything we are learning here at BT.  Very cool.

Here is the chapter in The Message version:

Jonah was furious. He lost his temper. He yelled at GOD, "GOD! I knew it--when I was back home, I knew this was going to happen! That's why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness! "So, GOD, if you won't kill them, kill me! I'm better off dead!" GOD said, "What do you have to be angry about?" But Jonah just left. He went out of the city to the east and sat down in a sulk. He put together a makeshift shelter of leafy branches and sat there in the shade to see what would happen to the city. GOD arranged for a broad-leafed tree to spring up. It grew over Jonah to cool him off and get him out of his angry sulk. Jonah was pleased and enjoyed the shade. Life was looking up. But then God sent a worm. By dawn of the next day, the worm had bored into the shade tree and it withered away. The sun came up and God sent a hot, blistering wind from the east. The sun beat down on Jonah's head and he started to faint. He prayed to die: "I'm better off dead!" Then God said to Jonah, "What right do you have to get angry about this shade tree?" Jonah said, "Plenty of right. It's made me angry enough to die!" GOD said, "What's this? How is it that you can change your feelings from pleasure to anger overnight about a mere shade tree that you did nothing to get? You neither planted nor watered it. It grew up one night and died the next night. So, why can't I likewise change what I feel about Nineveh from anger to pleasure, this big city of more than a hundred and twenty thousand childlike people who don't yet know right from wrong, to say nothing of all the innocent animals?"
Jonah 4:1-11

Peace,
Diana

ciy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »

Thanks Diana,

You blessed me back.  The Message version is powerful.

CIY

Shmeggly

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »

Yes Diana, that is very powerful and humbling to read.  I have never read the Message version....it certainly makes you look at lifes situations a little differently! 

James

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

Here to add from "The Word on the street Translation by Rob Lacey."

Jonah 4:9-11

God comes back at Jonah, "What right have you got to be angry about the vine?"

Jonah's not thinking straight: he still wants to die.

God says, "You took a liking to the vine. But did you water it or plant it: Was it down to you that it grew? No. One day it was here; the next gone. And you're in mourning for it! Well, Nineveh has 120,000 people (plus cattel) who are like little kids, not sure if they're coming or going - they need a dad! Why can't I care for them if I want to?"

Hard question to someone convinced God's only interested in the Jewish nation. It's tough admitting you're wrong!

For me the word "vine" stands out in this translation. Jesus is the vine!

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

gmik

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »

Well, I went and read the whole book in the concordant literal version.  However, I did need the Message & Street translation to clear it up for me :D

Again I am dumbfounded that God is All in All; and Sovereign is all over the Bible and I never ever saw it!!!

LittleBear

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »

I can certainly relate to Jonah. It's so much easier to take comfort and be at ease when God gives us the vine shadowing us and protecting us from the elements of the world.

But when He prepares the worms and hot winds to buffet us, the tendency is to wish to die. Boy! How often have I done this?! How quickly this happens!

But I thank God for the worms and the hot winds because in these experiences He shows us His heart and His mercy. Isn't it wonderful that even though Johah was angry and sulking, God revealed His intentions, and like to a child, patiently explained Jonah's personal lesson plan?

I think God will do this more and more in the lives of His elect. We all have our own personal Ninevehs that He gives us charge over, and He will teach us His ways in all situations, whether we have the gourd to shade us or if there is a hot wind to scorch us. Eventually we will learn the lessons. Eventually we will learn not to sulk!

Psalm 119:7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart when I have learned thy righteous judgements.

Ursula

DuluthGA

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »

Hello CIY!

Here's a quickie concept on what strikes me as God being all in all:

If there were no Babylon, there would be nothing to come out of! 

Sometimes it helps me to state the obvious as I'm no intellectual giant! 

Therefore, I've learned to praise Him for ALL sorts of ICKY things!   ;D

With joy, Janice

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 12:43:28 AM by DuluthGA »

ciy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »

Janice

That is what is called "count it all joy" because "God works all things to the good of those who love him and are called".  If we will fill up with the Word of God until we are transformed and have the mind of Christ so that we really believe that it all comes from God because he is all in all, then we will definitely know the truth and it will set us free.

You are right.  When there is a famine in the land we must go into Egypt (Bablyon where they babble on or Samaria where they say Mary) because they have the corn (knowledge about God), but then we have to come out of Egypt and go out into the wilderness in order to get to know God intimately. 

God is always the cause and at whatever moment in the day, God has you exactly where you are supposed to be at that moment.  That knowledge should give us tremendous peace.

CIY

DuluthGA

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 01:07:18 AM »

Yes, my dear, I count it all joy, and it gives me tremendous peace, no matter what.

Thank you kindly  :)  Janice

LittleBear

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

God is always the cause and at whatever moment in the day, God has you exactly where you are supposed to be at that moment.  That knowledge should give us tremendous peace.

CIY

This is beautiful CIY,

Ursula

gmik

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 04:15:38 AM »

Ciy, I agree w/ Ursula.  That is a powerful thought.

Now, why am I up at 2:00AM?????? ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.