bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some quotes  (Read 3792 times)

mrl1970

Some quotes
« on: July 05, 2007, 02:08:32 AM »

Here are some quotes I found on a couple of sites.

Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
Francis Cardinal Spellman (1889 - 1967)

God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.
J. G. Holland

Sometimes it seems like God is difficult to find and impossibly far away. We get so caught up in our small daily duties and irritations that they become the only things that we can focus on. What we forget is that God's love and beauty are all around us, every day, if only we would take the time to look up and see them.
Matthias, Correction Weblog, 11-01-03

I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit accomplishes all through me.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.
Albert Einstein
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
Heywood Broun (1888 - 1939)

The public will believe anything, so long as it is not founded on truth.
Edith Sitwell (1887 - 1964)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.
Cherie Carter-Scott, "If Love Is a Game, These Are the Rules"

It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M. Nixon (1913 - 1994), in his White House farewell

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), Sybil, 1845

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.
Epicurus (341 BC - 270 BC)

Take hope from the heart of man, and you make him a beast of prey.
Quida

We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)

Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849)

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller

I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.
Helen Keller

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)

Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Nothing is as certain as that the vices of leisure are gotten rid of by being busy.
Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD), Moral Letters to Lucilius, 64 A.D.

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

How would man exist if God did not need him, and how would you exist? You need God in order to be, and God needs you— for that is the meaning of your life.
-Martin Buber

"Truth to me was dead, God had never lived, life was full of pain, and death was the end of life. As a young Atheist, I sincerely believed that man had created God to fill the gaps in knowledge that would never be spanned by experience, reason, or science. In 1983 the God who pursues those who deny him interrupted my existence, he captured my soul with raw love. Two decades later, God's tangible friendship still amazes me. To deny his existence I'd have to first deny my own." 
-Alicia Britt Chole

gmik

Re: Some quotes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »

I am printing these!  These are about as good a collection as I have seen.  Each one can be thought and mulled on.

In my classroom, I like to use these "deep thoughts" as handwriting assignments.  Sometimes we can get into really good discussions.

Thanks.

ciy

Re: Some quotes
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »

The thing that strikes me in reading these quotes is how one can see the gospel or some application to the bible in each and everyone of them. 

Just as the Word says, "God is all in all."

CIY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.