bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Spirit" returns to God  (Read 7240 times)

John9362

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
"Spirit" returns to God
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:14:22 AM »

Hi guys,
You have been so helpful I need to ask you something else.
When a person dies and the "Spirit" returns to God, do we know what happens to that Spirit ??
The body is returned to the earth and the soul is no more, what is the returned Spirit doing in heaven with God?

Thank you
John

chrissiela

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »

John,

Our 'spirit' comes from God. It is the breathe of life that is in each of us that makes us a living 'soul'.

Chrissie

eutychus

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:50 AM »

do we recieve the breath of life at conception or has it been passed on to us by eve?

Laren

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:24:17 AM »

what i find interesting, is all living creatures have this same breath of life, yet; i don't think animals can be created into the image of Christ.  Something there more than the spirit that gives life, isnt' there?

eutychus

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »

Quote from: Laren
what i find interesting, is all living creatures have this same breath of life, yet; i don't think animals can be created into the image of Christ.  Something there more than the spirit that gives life, isnt' there?

seems to me we are born spiritually dead and only Christ brings life :wink:

this whole breath of life has got me thinking.

whats in the blood?

Laren

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »

Quote from: eutychus
Quote from: Laren

seems to me we are born spiritually dead and only Christ brings life :wink:

this whole breath of life has got me thinking.

whats in the blood?

Lev 17:11  For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh atonement by reason of the life.

chrissiela

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 01:10:44 PM »

Gen 6:17  And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Gen 7:22  All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

Psa 104:29  Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.

Ecc 3:19  For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »

I want to tell my BT brothers and sisters what I experienced last week.

Long story short; My neighbor had a boyfriend that was hidding an alcohol addiction and hidding violent tendencies. It all came to a head last August and he left in his vehicle. No one (not even his children) has seen him since then.
About three weeks ago, my neighbor received a call from the Sheriff's department; they found him hanging from a rope up in the mountains.
My neighbor has asked me to pray for him, so I asked her why would I need to pray for him; he's dead. She then informed me that according to her belief system, she thinks I should pray that he gathered up enough tools for his next life. I tried to explain to her about the spirit, soul, and body at death but she did not want to hear any of that.

Patrick

hillsbororiver

"Spirit" returns to God
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 09:29:24 PM »

Good stuff Chrissie, here is more in that vein;

Gen 2:7  And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath5397 of life; and man became a living soul.

Lifeless body + breath of God =  living soul  

Gen 6:17  And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath7307 of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Job 33:4  The Spirit7307 of God hath made me, and the breath5397 of the Almighty hath given me life.

Act 17:25  Neither is worshiped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath,4157 and all things;

H5397
נשׁמה
neshâmâh
nesh-aw-maw'
From H5395; a puff, that is, wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect or (concretely) an animal: - blast, (that) breath (-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.
596, 3956

very similar to;

H7307
רוּח
rûach
roo'-akh
From H7306; wind; by resemblance breath, that is, a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions): - air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit ([-ual]), tempest, X vain, ([whirl-]) wind (-y).

G4157
πνοή
pnoē
pno-ay'
From G4154; respiration, a breeze: - breath, wind.

Ecc 12:7  Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was:,  and the spirit7307 shall return unto God who gave it.

The spirit described here is the breath of life, as in the scripture Chrissie quoted;

(Ecc 3:19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath(7307);  so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.)

When all souls die (man or beast) the breath of life (spirit) goes back to where it originates, to God, inanimate once again, until the resurrection.

soul5315

H5315
נפשׁ
nephesh
neh'-fesh
From H5314; properly a breathing creature, that is, animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental): - any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead (-ly), desire, X [dis-] contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortality, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.

gmik

spirit returns to God
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 12:30:54 AM »

This has been very good stuff!  So instead of the spirit soul and body that we have been taught, I am from dust and to dust I shall return. The breath of God(Life) with the dust makes me a soul. When I die, my body goes back to dust, God's breath(spirit) returns to God, and there is no more soul. At the Resurrection, God's spirit or breath will reunite with me (earth, earthy as dust) and I will be in Him for the aions.  Am I even remotely close??

nightmare sasuke

Re: spirit returns to God
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 06:35:25 AM »

Quote from: gmik
This has been very good stuff!  So instead of the spirit soul and body that we have been taught, I am from dust and to dust I shall return. The breath of God(Life) with the dust makes me a soul. When I die, my body goes back to dust, God's breath(spirit) returns to God, and there is no more soul. At the Resurrection, God's spirit or breath will reunite with me (earth, earthy as dust) and I will be in Him for the aions.  Am I even remotely close??

You are close. However, your body will be raised a spiritual body like Christ's body and no longer will be "earth, earthy as dust."

hillsbororiver

Re: spirit returns to God
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 07:55:35 PM »

Quote from: gmik

Yes Gena, as Nightmare said at the resurrection you will be given a new, spiritual body unless of course you are alive at that time, then you shall be "changed in the twinkling of an eye" what an exciting, glorious promise we have!

1Co 15:50  Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Co 15:51  Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep but we shall all be changed,

1Co 15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Co 15:53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1Co 15:54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.