bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is witnessing to the unbeliever really supposed to be done ?  (Read 4841 times)

mrsnacks

Now that we are coming out of Babylon which is great. Thank God really for calling me out.

We have been taught in Christendom to witness and get the unbeliever to say the sinners prayer and take advantage of every opportunity to get them saved right ? The scriptures do say to go out in the world and make disciples. Is the world He is talking about the church world ?  We all have been told by Ray and others that Jesus spoke in parables. So what is the meaning behind the words when Jesus said to His disciples to go out and make disciples. Or is that to be taken literal ?

And I ask this because in my personal life - my dad is in his late 70's. He believes that there is a God and believes in God but doesn't take Him very seriously. What I mean is he doesn't really pray and study and doesn't appear to have a relationship with God. I haven't discussed spiritual things with Him unless he brings it up which is very rare. I am concerned for him. I am relieved and comforted that all will be saved so I don't worry about an eternal hell for him or anyone. So what I do now is just pray for him. But I don't think it is right to push Christ down people's throats if they are not ready to hear. Even though most Christians mean well- but hurt the cause of Christ even more by their zeal without knowledge and understanding. The Word does say to have an answer to those that asks. If they don't ask then we should keep our mouths closed right ?

skydreamers

Re: How is witnessing to the unbeliever really supposed to be done ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

Hi Mrsnacks,

Here's an excerpt from Ray's paper "Winning Souls for Jesus" which I think speaks to some of your question:

LIGHT AND SALT DON’T ARGUE OR MAKE NOISE

"Ye are the salt of the earth… Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid… Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 5:1,14,16).

Salt does not make any noise, and light does not argue Scriptures. Neither salt nor light makes any sound whatsoever. Maybe there is a lesson in there.

Too many people learn a few truths of God and think that they are ready to take on the world. They usually start by trying to embarrass their Pastor with their new-gained knowledge. Usually they fall flat on their face on the very first try. It’s all about motivation. If your motivation is carnal, God will not back you. Yes, I know, all of you are saying: "But my motivation is to show them God’s truths." Yes, sure, I understand, but THEY DON’T WANT TO HEAR GOD’S TRUTHS, and you already know this, so what is your point? Leave them alone and let them taste your salt and see your light and admire your good works, and perchance they will even praise God for your new-found humility,

You will never argue anyone into accepting the truths of God’s Word. As salesmen are often taught: "You might win the argument, but loose the sale," so don’t argue. And this: "He who is persuaded against his will; is of the same opinion still."

http://bible-truths.com/souls.htm

I did what many have done, when I found out about the saving of all men, I was so excited I had to go and tell all my closest friends and family.  Fortunately for me, most were graciously open to listening but only one took the ball and ran with it and started to study it for herself.  The rest showed no further interest.  At first I was sorely disappointed and so I would bring it up at every opportunity...trying to "push" it...then I read Ray's paper and prayed about it and slowly let go of my own overwhelming desire to "make" everyone see.  It was hard, but I've had to wait on the Lord and see where He leads.  I've had to learn to be at peace with God's decision to open the eyes of those whom He chooses, not me.

Now, I still think, you can gently bring up your new found beliefs to your closest circle...(they'll find out sooner or later) and then leave it alone unless they show further interest. 

My husband has no interest in spiritual things, though he believes in God, and he is the only one I didn't bombard with all this stuff...(I only went after the Christians :D ;))  Well, here's the interesting thing, just a couple of months ago my husband started asking questions totally out of NOWHERE.  (I've studied this for over two years now).  God really is faithful if you let Him do His work and be His instrument.  Then you will not mistakenly hog the glory to yourself as if you somehow intelligently won your case...you will have no doubt that the Glory goes to God!

God really works in mysterious ways...

Peace,
Diana

YellowStone

Re: How is witnessing to the unbeliever really supposed to be done ?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »

Hi MrSnacks,

Actions always speak louder than words. Paul understood well this fact.

1Cr 9:19   Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

1Cr 9:20   To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

1Cr 9:21   To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

1Cr 9:22   To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

We are not alone, for the Great Comforter, the Spirits will provide the words needed at the proper time.

Rom 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

1Cr 2:13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.  

Well this is my understanding,

Love In Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:38:34 PM by YellowStone »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.