bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about Jesus in Bethany  (Read 9528 times)

Redbird

Re: A question about Jesus in Bethany
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »

It was also the custom in that day, for the wife to annoint the husband for burial.  This goes along with what you said Diana. :)

Lisa

Kat

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:17 AM »

Hi Diana,

Very well put  :)

mrsnacks, that's the way I see it too.  Everything is as God wants it.  The poor will always be with us in this age, we can't change that.  Of course if we have a opportunity, we should help someone in need.  I believe it does more good for the one giving, in building character. 
But as you said, But in reality giving attention and giving what you have to Him is the most important thing you can in serving Jesus.  For those given eyes to see, seeking Him is what it is all about.

Mark 12:30  and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength." This is the first commandment.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

mrsnacks brought up something important:

The Scriptures say to love God with all thy heart and to not worship any other gods but Him. Sounds selfish to one who doesn't have eyes to see or ears to hear. Why is God a jealous God ? Why does He command worship ? Why does Jesus say "follow Me. "

I used to see this as vanity on God's part. Why would He demand worship? In that time I also considered worship to be, you know, like worship in the churches (singing, dancing, shouting).

Now when we worship Him in Spirit and Truth, it's more obvious that God doesn't need our worship, we need to worship God! We need to be changed into His image, it's not for God's benefit, it's for OUR benefit.

I think also that Mary's act of love was good for her because SHE needed to realize a couple of things.

She did it for His burial.

For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. (Mat 26:12 KJV)

Interesting to note that this was in fact part of the burial ritual:

They took, therefore, the body of Jesus, and bound it with linen clothes with the spices, according as it was the custom of the Jews to prepare for burial; (Joh 19:40 YLT)

When Mary did this it was part of her dying to the cares of this world, it's a type of what Paul says in Romans 6:

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (Rom 6:4 KJV)

We need to fix our eyes on Jesus Christ, because WE need it, not because of vanity on His part.

God bless you,
Eirik

PS.

And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?

And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.

Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth. (Zec 4:12-14 KJV)

----

They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. (Mat 25:3 KJV)

Is this speaking of the same oil?
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:08 PM »

Wow ty all so much, such awsome insight, i trully appreciate it.

Praise the Lord He is good =]

Keep it coming on the oil if you want, i'm listening and waiting! Eagerly!

=]

Love,

Alex

Shmeggly

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:49 PM »

That was really deep Diana, and very well said!  :)

CIY, I was feeling not that great, and it was reflected in how I looked at the whole thing.  I knew you meant it in a good way....I know you didn't mean to literally send Ray money, it was just as an example.  And I shouldn't have even compared telling people the real truth and setting them free to what televangelists spew....I apologize. 

It's still humbling and amazing how my eyes can be opened, and how ignorant I can sound at times!  There is a lot of wisdom on this forum, even if I don't understand a good portion of it....

I wrote a song once, and the words fit me well:

"How was I to know... that You cared... for me?  And how could I be blind....yet I claimed that I could see!" 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.