bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re spurious scriptures  (Read 5573 times)

chav

re spurious scriptures
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »

Hi all

Being the pedant that I am , I am currently working through the list of spurious scriptures provided by Kat  (see esword link)
it makes some interesting reading particularly Mark !6:9-20 which was added later.
in effect that chapter appears to end very abruptly

'and they went and fled from the tomb for trembling and astonishment had seized them,and they said nothing to anyone , as they were afraid' verse 8

Hardly a glorious conclusion.

My question is , knowing this was added at a later date,(in all probability to tidy things up  ) do we totally disregard these verses ? or do they have some element of truth in them ?
When, how and why were they added ?

cheers

Dave UK

Pax Vobiscum

Re: re spurious scriptures
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »

Perhaps you would benefit from the pedantic treatment of this subject by Bart Ehrman. 

His The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament is a scholarly work not intended for the weak of heart.

For a more easy-to-read on the subject, perhaps Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why can supply you with some history of this phenomenon.

Good luck.

Peace

seminole

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »

What does "pedantic" mean?

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:10:10 PM »

What does "pedantic" mean?

Good question :)

Pedantic
  • marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects
        http://onelook.com/?w=pedantic&ls=a

Darren
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:12:15 PM by YellowStone »

steve

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »

From the American Heritage Dictionary, One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules
without having an understanding or experience of practical affairs.One who exhibits his learning or scholarship ostentatiously.

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »

Before this goes a different way, I used the word "pedantic" as a play on the original poster claiming  to be a pedant (an archaic term for a male school teacher or one who focuses on minutiae).  No more, no less.  I in no way wanted to malign Professor Ehrman's exceptional scholarship or his books.

Peace
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:01:20 PM by Pax Vobiscum »

seminole

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.