bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taken from  (Read 4688 times)

Sorin

Taken from
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »

the email titled "Sabbath?"

Ray said: "COMMENT:  You are not alone, Johan. Paul had many people who rejected the Gospel by being the same thing: "Ye observe days and months [month means MOON], and times, and years (Gal. 4:10).  Paul could no more persuade them in his day to give up the physical and obey the spiritual (John 6:63), than I am able today. If people can't DO SOMETHING PHYSICAL THEY DON'T FEEL SPIRITUAL.  That's just the way it is.  "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the NEW MOON [as you are now trying to instruct me as necessary], or of the SABBATH DAYS [as you are also accusing me of 'spiritualizing away the Sabbath']" (Col. 2:16).

He is so right here! In my native language (Romanian) Luna means moon, but it also means month. for example " O lună de zile", literally translated means: A month of days

But in English, the actual meaning would be a full month, or a whole month
Goes to show how you can not translate from one language into another literally.

Just food for thought, I guess......

Sorin
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:22:47 AM by Sorin »

YellowStone

Re: Taken from
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:54 AM »

Hey Sorin,
Thanks for a very interesting post. Joe posted a long the same lines recently, the differences between: Translation and Transliteration.

Translation provides a direct word for word rendering based on common understanding, while transliteration attempts to provide the true intent or meaning of the word used originally.

Thanks for pointing this out. Sometimes we must look beyond the spoken word of man.

Love on Christ,
Darren

seminole

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »

Our native tongue has so many references to the natural side of this life. It is beautiful and to me speaks praises to God for the creation. We plant by the moon, we heal by the seasons and so on. If you took the native tongue and translated into "the King's English" it may not make sense. You have to take the languages as they are and figure out the meaning to others based on their language.

Sorin

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »

You're most welcomed, Darren. Thanks for checking it out, and your comments. You too Seminole.
Hmm... that sounds like an interesting post by Joe. Perhaps I ought to check that one out sometimes.

Peace,

Sorin

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 11:09:39 PM »

Thanks Sorin :)

Here's a link to Joes thread. Very interesting:
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4870.15.html

Love,

Darren

Sorin

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »

Thanks for the link Darren! I shall definitely check it out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.