bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How'd THEY do it??  (Read 19638 times)

Redbird

Re: How'd THEY do it??
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »

The word scholar appears twice in the KJV bible;

1 CH 25:8  And they cast lots, ward against ward, as well the small as the great, the teacher as the scholar.

MAL 2: 11-12  Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the LORD which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.  12 The LORD will cut off the man that doeth this, the master and the scholar, out of the tabernacles of Jacob, and him that offereth an offering unto the LORD of hosts.

I think that is interesting and speaks for itself.
Peace to you, Lisa

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »

Was it Godfather III where Al Pacino said "Just when I thought I was out...."?

It seems a very popular endeavor here to quote Bible verses which pit the righteous against the learned.  Of course, it is convenient to administer these verses from sources whose translations push the point we are trying to make.  These sources were written by.... you guessed it... theologians who went to school and were taught by all manner of people to attain the knowledge, skills and abilities to give you the wherewithal to attack... theologians!

Beloved, please hear that your statements merely remind me of so many instances where contributors disdain academics (medicine, science, and particularly those poor misguided theologians!) and is not meant to slight you in the least.

My point is this:  Unless God Almighty speaks directly to us OR we are so well trained in the classics that we can read primary source material, THEN we are all beholden to the translative and interpretive abilities of theologians and linguists we have never met!

I will continue and encourage others to read everything from Plato and Camus to Ray Smith, Charles Spurgeon, A. W Pink, Billy Graham, Karen Armstrong and even that rascal Bart Ehrman!  You know the bumper sticker about thanking teachers?  Perhaps believers need a sticker that says, "If you can read your Bible in your native language, thank a theologian!"  I cannot think of a decent Biblical reference which is opposed to knowledge --  there are plenty that deal with the misuse of, or misperception of, or narow, legalistic adherence to knowledge.  Challenging the status quo is a Christ-like endeavor! 

Now, for those spiritually arrogant whose "truths" have been delivered directly from the Spirit of the Living God, please shut me up (shut me down?) by showing how you came to your conclusions without the benefit of the "carnal" endeavors of others! 

I thought so. 

Peace

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »

Pax

Eph 5:13 ...all...ALL THINGS that are reproved are made manifest by the LIGHT ( by the WHAT? LIGHT not carnal flesh...LIGHT!) for whatsoever does make manifest is LIGHT....(Light...LIGHT not scholarship or the wisdom of the worldly....BUT LIGHT...Who is the Father of LIGHTS Pax....twice stated in ONE SENTENCE...LIGHT. Who is the Father Pax? Flesh...your worldly wise fools?  I think God means what He said and said what He means!)

You say Pax : please shut me up (shut me down?) by showing how you came to your conclusions without the benefit of the "carnal" endeavors of others! 

You asked so nicely! :D ;D

Arcturus :)

seminole

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »

Pax you make a good point. It may not be and probably won't be appreciated on the forum but I for one think you have a good handle on it. Especially for me who reads no Greek or Hebrew at all.
Nole

hillsbororiver

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2007, 09:10:13 PM »

It seems a very popular endeavor here to quote Bible verses which pit the righteous against the learned.  Of course, it is convenient to administer these verses from sources whose translations push the point we are trying to make.  These sources were written by.... you guessed it... theologians who went to school and were taught by all manner of people to attain the knowledge, skills and abilities to give you the wherewithal to attack... theologians!

1Co 1:26  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

Pax, you definitely have some unique thoughts and observations, you make remarks that minimize the quotation of scripture by the brethren but make pains to defend even exult the work of men who (through God's direction) helped make the scriptures available to the common man.

I do not only appreciate the time and effort of the scribes but also the time and effort of the laborers who cut down the trees to make the pulp which became the paper these Words were written on, the printers who made it a priority to produce bibles, the distributors who in some cases risked their life in getting this book into the hands of the very people the intellectuals such as the Popes, Lenin, Mao, etc. thought them better off without.

I am thankful for the technology that allows us to check, verify and search His Word at the touch of a keyboard. 

Most of all I thank the Lord for making His plan and purpose for His creation known to us and for directing the steps of all those He chose to carry it forward.

Beloved, please hear that your statements merely remind me of so many instances where contributors disdain academics (medicine, science, and particularly those poor misguided theologians!) and is not meant to slight you in the least.

I am quite sure Beloved can empathize with your (no intention of slight of course) being reminded of us contributors who disdain any hint of knowledge since she is a Medical Doctor who I am sure has had the experience of her educated and wise council being ignored or rejected by patients....

Now, for those spiritually arrogant whose "truths" have been delivered directly from the Spirit of the Living God, please shut me up (shut me down?) by showing how you came to your conclusions without the benefit of the "carnal" endeavors of others! 

I thought so. 

Peace

Arrogant.... that word seems to fit here, let's see what scripture has to say about this attribute of the carnal mind;

1Sa 2:3  Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogance come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.

Pro 8:13  The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Jer 48:29  We have heard the pride of Moab, (he is exceeding proud) his loftiness, and his arrogance, and his pride, and the haughtiness of his heart.

Let us pray for discernment in all things (1Kings 3:11),

Joe

Dean Peterman

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2007, 09:20:44 PM »

Dear Pax,

In case you are getting the wrong idea I want you to know that I love you as my brother.  My purpose is not to persuade you from your academic endeavors.  I just want to encourage you to always be careful.  If you would indulge me I would like to encourage you to read Dan Barker's book, Losing Faith in Faith.  He was a christian that became an atheist.  

We can learn something from all of the people you mentioned but we have to use our discernment to make sure we do not allow ourself to be harmed by something they are advocating.  I have to admit that over the years I have read hundreds perhaps thousands of theology books, books on christian history, philosophy books by both atheists, agnostics and christians.  However, my eyes are being opened to the reality that I have to stop trying to save myself by acquiring knowledge.  God is in charge and I am just a fool that has to keep reminding myself of that fact.  The thing I pray for more than anything else is the power to love other people with my whole heart.  I know I have a long way to go.  In my posts and in my life outside of this forum I make it a habit to never make sarcastic remarks, never say an unkind word (at least not intentionally), and never insinuate something but instead state it directly.  I try to be as transparent as I can.  No hidden agendas, no hidden meanings.  So please believe me, what you read in my posts is all there is.  I try to be as straightforward and direct as possible.  With all that said, my only message to you is please be careful.  

Sincerely,

Dean

DuluthGA

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2007, 04:33:22 AM »

Dean ~ thank you for the clarification on this matter; so kind of you to respond.

I hope to post more to this intriguing thread later as I appreciate it all so much.  Sorry, I am tired tonight.

With love, Janice  :)

iris

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2007, 05:33:26 AM »

Hi Tracy,

I think as God opens your eyes a little more the scriptures will become
clearer and you want feel so overwhelmed. just pray for God to show
you the deeper meanings of His word and He will help you to understand.

Iris

rk12201960

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2007, 09:50:57 AM »

I thought this might help.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

This forum is primarily a place for people of a like mind to fellowship, and secondarily to discuss and question what they learn on bible-truths.com.

If you seriously disagree with Ray, please email him directly.

If you come here to teach us, please take your teaching elsewhere.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED TO DEBATE RELIGIOUS TOPICS

Please do not make sport of persons who email Ray. Leave any criticism of the individual to Ray.

No preaching (including preaching via links).
Links are not allowed if a site or article brings its own teaching or preaching.  Links are allowed if a site it just for fun or informational, ie, you tube, google translator, Esword, etc.

No name-calling.

This forum is moderated, if you feel you cannot accept the bounds of a limited forum then don’t join.  The moderators do not have the time to explain every decision to you on why a post was deleted, so don’t expect it.

sasscell

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »

AH, another example of the two-edged sword.  Seems as though the scriptures can bring life or death.  For those looking to find God by exclusively carnal means, (study, reason, logic, science, etc.) death, as what has happened to the aforementioned Christian turned agnostic. 

1 Cor. 1:19  I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and I will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

We must call on His Spirit to bring the scriptures to life, to us and in us.  I do and have always believed that one could intellectualize their faith right away...The carnal mind can never please or find God because it cannot comprehend the one thing God wants...faith.  Faith cannot be put under a microscope...it IS NOT SEEING yet believing. 

This thread has spoken to me.  I should just relax in my study a bit more and start depending on Him to reveal more and be happy with what I get or don't get.  Thanks to all.

seminole

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

Why did the rules get brought up? It didn't seem like anyone was crossing any lines. Pax and others are just sharing what they have learned and are learning.

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »

This forum is primarily a place for people of a like mind to fellowship, and secondarily to discuss and question what they learn on bible-truths.com.

If you come here to teach us, please take your teaching elsewhere.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED TO DEBATE RELIGIOUS TOPICS

I agree, no lines have been crossed, but it is getting close.  That is why it was probably posted.

Craig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.