bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Truth?  (Read 7053 times)

bambam

What is the Truth?
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:07:07 AM »

How does a person know they have the truth?  There are so many websites, from all different angles.  Everybody has there own take on just about everything under the sun.  How can one possibly know what the truth is for sure in their hearts?  When does one know for sure they have finally come to the truth?  Because SO many people believe that they are right, and I mean they really believe it and they aren't going to budge.  I have heard it said before somewhere-there is only one truth.  That is one thing that I surely know is the truth-that everyone cannot possibly be right.  I think I am going crazy trying to know what the truth is for sure in my heart, and I don't really know for sure.  Someone might say, let it go.  But how can anyone let go of something that is life-changing if it is true?  I just want the truth, whatever it is.  I suppose it's not that easy. :-\  Any thoughts?

Robin

Re: What is the Truth?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:18:59 AM »

Hi bambam,

I can remember struggling so hard and every sentence I spoke for the longest time had the word "How" in it. "When" and "Why" were other words I used frequently.

It turned out to be "Who"

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 17
 1These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 5:
39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

John 10:
27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28And I give unto them eternal life
; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

John 8:31
 31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Dean Peterman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:58:37 AM »

Dear Bambam,

I agree with you, it can get pretty confusing.  M.G. is right.  Jesus is the truth.  God sent his only begotten son into the world to die for us and anyone that believes in him becomes a child of God.  Jesus said to love God and love other people.  If you do that you are doing what God wants you to do. 

Sincerely,

Dean

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »

Hi,

I'm not sure what your asking?  Are you asking is there a God? What?
I just dont understand. What specific truth do you mean?

Chris R

How does a person know they have the truth?  There are so many websites, from all different angles.  Everybody has there own take on just about everything under the sun.  How can one possibly know what the truth is for sure in their hearts?  When does one know for sure they have finally come to the truth?  Because SO many people believe that they are right, and I mean they really believe it and they aren't going to budge.  I have heard it said before somewhere-there is only one truth.  That is one thing that I surely know is the truth-that everyone cannot possibly be right.  I think I am going crazy trying to know what the truth is for sure in my heart, and I don't really know for sure.  Someone might say, let it go.  But how can anyone let go of something that is life-changing if it is true?  I just want the truth, whatever it is.  I suppose it's not that easy. :-\  Any thoughts?

Kat

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »

Hi bambam,

You know it is very difficult to believe, that after always wanting to have the truth, that now you have found THE TRUTH. 
I was in a church(WorldWide) at one time, that I really thought had the truth.  But I will say, there was many things that I didn't understand that they taught.  I went along with it because it sounded right to me then and I just thought I hadn't reach that level of understanding yet.  But after many years, I realized it was all wrong, and I became disillusioned.  So then I went to a Baptist church and even then I knew it wasn't right about a lot of things.  At that point in my life, I just didn't believe that it was possible to find the one perfect truth.  I didn't think any church had it and I was not even seaching for it.
But a year and half ago God lead me to BT.  I just had a few questions come up, so I did a search and bang, there it was.  I wasn't really even trying and God brought me to BT, it was just my appointed time to have my eyes opened is all I can say. 
I never had doubts once I started see the scriptures as Ray revealed what he understood.  This truth all fall perfectly into place.  From what God had already been teaching me and yes He did teach me things in the church, it was not a spiritual understanding though.  But the physical things I had learned, now came to light spiritually, it was astounding. 
So how do I know this is the Truth. 

Rom 8:16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God.

I can now open up the Word and read this Truth for myself, I could not before.  Everything I'm learning now works together to support the rest of what I'm learning.  There is not a bunch of loose ends and scripture that don't sound right with other scripture.  Now all the scripture works together.

Isa 28:9  Whom shall He teach knowledge? And whom shall He make to understand doctrine? Those weaned from the milk and drawn from the breasts.
v. 10  For precept must be on precept, precept on precept; line on line, line on line; here a little, there a little;

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »

Hi Bambam,

A couple of years ago, the Lord put it in my heart to "search" for the true religion.  I just knew that there was a "truth" out there some where.  I had been both a Baptist and a Jehovah's Witness.  I was confused and frustrated.  The Lord sent me on a "research" journey of Christian religions.  He put it in my heart to look for His remnant church.  I knew it existed, I just didn't know where.  After months of "sampling" various Christian religions and searching many Christian websites, He led me to what I believe and know in my heart is the truth!

Pray and ask God to reveal "truth" to you.  This may sound like a simple answer, but the only way you will ever know the truth is when the Lord decides to reveal Himself to you.  Once that happens, your doubts and confusion will disappear and you will start to know the truth, and, as Jesus said, "...the truth will set you free." (John 8:32).

Rene'

chuckt

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »

hi all. good topic, i use to feel the same.

we all have to come to understand.

i live yet no longer i live but Christ liveth in me

it is hard all the differetn doctrines floating out there, i always come back to this:

1 If I should be speaking in the languages of men and of the messengers, yet should have no love, I have become resounding copper or a clanging cymbal.
2 And if I should have prophecy and should be perceiving all secrets and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so as to transport mountains, yet have no love, I am nothing.3 And if ever I should be morselling out all my possessions, and if I should be giving up my body, that I should be boasting, yet may have no love, in nothing do I benefit.
4 Love is patient, is kind. Love is not jealous. Love is not bragging, is not puffed up,
5 is not indecent, is not self-seeking, is not incensed, is not taking account of evil,
6 is not rejoicing in injustice, yet is rejoicing together with the truth,
7 is forgoing all, is believing all, is expecting all, is enduring all.
8 Love is never lapsing: yet, whether prophecies, they will be discarded, or languages, they will cease, or knowledge, it will be discarded.
9 For out of an instalment are we knowing, and out of an instalment are we prophesying.
10 Now whenever maturity may be coming, that which is out of an instalment shall be discarded.
11 When I was a minor, I spoke as a minor, I was disposed as a minor, I took account of things as a minor. Yet when I have become a man, I have discarded that which is a minor's.
12 For at present we are observing by means of a mirror, in an enigma, yet then, face to face. At present I know out of an instalment, yet then I shall recognize according as I am recognized also.
13 Yet now are remaining faith, expectation, love -- these three. Yet the greatest of these is love.

hang in there grow in LOVE.

chuckt

sasscell

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »

Hi BamBam.  I know exactly where you are comming from.  Whenever I hear or read something that throws my faith for a loop, I always can come back to a few simple truths:  If there is ONE thing that I KNOW beyond any doubt, it is that I AM A SINNER.  Who can deny it??  And if there is ONE THING a sinner needs, it's forgiveness.  NO OTHER RELIGION IN HISTORY OFFERS THIS, this is where Christianity stands alone.  No other religion, no other book speaks to and of the most basic human dilemma...SIN. THIS is why I believe that Jesus is the Christ, and the scriptures are His book.  Beyond that, yes, there are still contraversies within Christianity and raging millenia long debates over interrpretation of scripture.  However, God has graciously made certain Truths crystal clear to those who want to see.  For me these things are the bedrock I come back to...WHEN MY HEAD STARTS TO HURT!!

bambam

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »

Last night I read "...the Spirit is Truth."  I honestly thought every one would talk about having the Spirit, and that was how I would know the Truth.  Like, duh?  :D  But, it was not you who told me that.  No, I read it in 1 John chapter five.  The Spirit IS Truth.  So, it's all about a Person.  I have to say honestly, it does not make knowing the truth any easier.  But maybe I have been looking at this all wrong.  The Truth is the Spirit and knowing the Spirit IS knowing Truth.  I don't know.  I was even questioning the existence of God last night.  I think I have come back to my senses today a bit.  There is just so much that makes it hard.  Like God is love, but He is a God of wrath.  Those two attributes seem diametrically opposed but found in the same God.  Is He still love when He is full of wrath towards the heathen?  I think I am getting off the track here.  Sorry.  Thanks for all of the insight.  I am plugging along.  :-\

Beth :)

carol70

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »

God's wrath isn't without reason, considering how weak and evil the carnal mind is.

Rom 1:18  For the wrath of God is revealed from Heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19  because the thing which may be known of God is clearly revealed within them, for God revealed it to them.
Rom 1:20  For the unseen things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being realized by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, for them to be without excuse.
Rom 1:21  Because, knowing God, they did not glorify Him as God, neither were thankful. But they became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22  Professing to be wise, they became fools
Rom 1:23  and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man, and birds, and four-footed animals, and creeping things.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

Hello Everyone,

There have been some very good answers and insights in this thread!

As Ray has addressed in regard to the 'unpardonable sin' I believe that train of thought is also applicable here. Are you constantly meditating about your relationship with God? Are you beginning to hate your carnal nature and the sins you are prone to? Do you strive to learn more of Him and to please Him?

Or are you complacent in your standing with God? Do you feel no need to study, read, pray, repent, seek His guidance in all things? Do you feel rich in spirit and that you are saved (first resurrection) and that nothing can take that away?

If you feel the need to constantly hold Him closer and closer to your heart you are being drawn to Him, as we get closer to God our baser nature becomes increasingly more obvious to us, Christ's Spirit within us (our new man) rejects the things we once held dear (that is tribulation, chastisement), our carnal mind stops being something we justify (our old man) in fact we want to leave it behind and become a new spiritual creature.

Revelation 3 (King James Version)

13He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

14And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

19As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

22He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Take comfort in the fact that you are constantly thinking about Him, not just at a church service once or twice a week for an hour or so patting yourself on the back because you found Him.

No, we take comfort because He has seen fit to draw us to Him and to purge us of our carnal nature by dragging us through His purifying fire in the here and now!

If there is complacency in our spiritual life then we truly need to repent, but if we are complacent we cannot see the need to repent. Be thankful for these questions, this strife, this need deep inside to get closer to Him.   

I hope this is of some help.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

Good Word Joe.  Thanks.

GODSown1

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »

wow! I jus feel I hav 2 say dis :D,
                                           How can n e 1 d@ Truly says he knows or knows d@ der is Truly a GOD den turns around & says on another day hmm....  "I wonder if"?? short answer has 2 b its GODS plan 4 dem, Right!? :D. Well since Im not really a reader or writer :) (its not hard 2 tell) wot keeps me Honest! in CHRIST! is our very! own bodies, our organs, blood vessels, heart, muscles etc... cum on pple how Amazing is d@? a Big Bang! get Real U got b joking!!! or mad or dumb or lost!! etc.. :D  We had 2 b created, YES!?, I look @ creatures d@ defie?? Evolution of dis hea World Ive looked much closer in2 animals of the land, fish of da sea, birds of da air, insects etc.. dey AlL hav a Purpose!, Plant needs dis bird, dez animals need 2 do dis 4 dis 2 happen etc.. etc.. goes on & on AMAZING!! GOD!!!. The TRUTHS of da Bible & hw many hav tried 2 prove it wrong But! in return actually end up Proving it RIGHT!, um! & All the meaningz bhind da scenes (so 2 speak) etc etc.. so wot im tryn 2 say Well!!! am sayn hw can n e 1 wit even half a brain Deni GODS existence!!! & GOD being "The CREATOR". GODBLESS! HIS GREAT EXISTANCE!! AlwayZ!!!!.
                                            muchLOVE!! Pera

Ps. I hope dis doesnt offend n e 1, its just wot I feel I had 2 share, dont let unesacary fings hinder ur FAITH! PeacE!! 2 U AlL, BlesSuP!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:06:02 AM by GODSown1 »

oneofthefew

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 02:03:40 AM »

Hi Kat,

I'm only new to this forum and like you, I am one of the few who has NOW "come to a knowledge of the truth."

I would just like to say how it was twice as refreshing reading your reply to bambam about your experience in finding the truth. Everything you said, that was precisely how I would have related my own story (when God led me to this site) in finding the truth.

God bless you.

oneofthefew

Kat

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »

Hi oneofthefew,

I am glad that you have joined us here  :)
Well we already have our journey in common, so we can relate.
I see you have jumped right in with posting, it is good to have your perspective.
If you have any questions, let me know, I'll be glad to help if I can.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »

Hi BamBam

Finding the truth for me and knowing it as such for me has been interesting to say the least.

What follows is a part of a response to another post, but it fits here. :) (I buried myself in study material)

I think I must have found every contradiction / fallacy ever conceived. I realized that the truth was not going to be found there (not because it wasn't, just that I couldn't) I then walked away from all my Bibles and study aids.

It was here that I learned a most fundamental truth; for when Christ said: "Look and you shall find" and "Ask and you shall recieve" he wasn't talking about physical eyes and ears, but rather our spiritual. It wasn't after I stopped trying to "find" the truth of God myself, that he slowly began revealing himself to me. The crazy thing was that I knew he had been there all along.

Another profound thing happened, the contradictions vanished, the words or rather their message stood out clearly, and the mixed up jigsaw puzzle of truth that I could not fatham, began falling neatly into place.

The Spirit and the Word must be in harmony, because they are one and the same.

Thanks for your post,

Love in Christ,
Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.