bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 6951 times)

shibboleth

Jury duty
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:18:47 PM »

Well, it's finally happened. I have been summoned for jury duty. I know many people who have been summoned, but this is my first time. I was wondering what you guys and gals think about believers serving on jury and passing sentence on an individual for a crime committed. Is there any scriptual support for being on a jury or is this one of those conscience issues?
I don't have to go for another month, but thought I would get your input before I go.

Sorin

Re: Jury duty
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:25:50 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
Well, it's finally happened. I have been summoned for jury duty. I know many people who have been summoned, but this is my first time. I was wondering what you guys and gals think about believers serving on jury and passing sentence on an individual for a crime committed. Is there any scriptual support for being on a jury or is this one of those conscience issues?
I don't have to go for another month, but thought I would get your input before I go.

Oh that sucks Debra. I really don't know what to say about that in terms of whether or not it's a sin to be on jury duty and judge people. I hope I never get summoned, but if I do, I'll say "not guilty" no matter how much proof there is that the person is guilty just because I'd be so mad for getting summoned there. and basically it's what they would get for summoning me. :lol:

jennie

jury
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »

I actually had fun at jury duty! I got to meet so many interesting people. I got my wallet stolen but it turned out all right. I got stopped at the metal detector because I had a pocket knife in my purse. My Daddy gave it to me. The boys around here carry theirs in their pockets , the girls in their purses. Down here, people still have gun racks in their trucks! I didn't get picked because they asked me what my beliefs on Christianity were and I told them. They said that wouldn't make me a good jury person! Looks to me like it would make you more honest. I don't know!

eutychus

Jury duty
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:44:23 AM »

go and be a light in the darkness.

Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

while you are sitting there waiting to be called the person next to you may need a word of encouragment, or just a smile and a pleasant conversation.

and if you get picked, that will be of God too.

go in love and wisdom of Christ.

Harryfeat

Jury duty
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »

Hello,

Jury duty does not seem to conflict with religious beliefs.  You are not judging anyone for committing a sin.  You are determining whether you believe that someone broke the civil rules and laws, based on the evidence and testimony given.  

I agree that it is not likely that you will actually be called to a jury.  If so the lawyers will probably dismiss you for their own reasons.

I agree that the justice system sucks but it would be a lot worse without us.  Just picture yourself in the defense chair for some involuntary "crime" that you allegedly committed.  Wouldn't  you like someone like yourself on the jury?

The jury is not allowed to ask questions during the trial and there were so many things that I didn't understand. What with side bars and all.  I finally raised my hand in the middle and said that I didn't underatand the significance of what had just been said.  The judge was furious with me for raising my hand but decided to answer my question.  It turns out that the defense counsel was telling us that the defendent  was pleading guilty to six of the seven charges.  

To my surprise, I was selected for a jury in a drug case.  Even more scary, the other jurors unanimously elected me the forman over my protestations. I was shocked because I thought I was  the youngest person there.   I finally agreed just to get on with it.  When I look back on it I have to laugh 'cause the only qualification I seemed to have was that I was the only one wearing a business suit. :roll:  :lol:

It was interesting back in the jury room deciding the innocence or guilt for the seventh item.  There were two people like Sorin who adamantly said not guilty based on principle.  There were four people who voted guilty just based [I later found out through a lot of questioning]  on the fact that the man was black and they didn't really care what the evidence was.  The rest of us looked at the evidence and testimony.  We had several questions to be clarified and the judge provided us with answers that weren't always understandable and sometimes caused more questions.

I was able to expose the prejudices for what they were and finally get everyone to agree.  I have to say that I learned a lot about people, their motives and that support and opposition  can come from the most likely person.  It was a real eye opener for me and caused me to stop judging a book by its cover and try harder to understand the meaning behind the words spoken.  Not everyone can articulate clearly what they mean.

I think that you will just be giving to Ceasar what is required of Ceasar and the justice system will be the better for you being a part of it.

feat

shibboleth

Jury duty
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Thank you all for your input. I have been thinking about all the ramifications of being on a jury, and am still not sure if I it is right or not. {Right for me, anyway} A few years ago I would have said it was a civil duty and part of being a citizen of the USA. Now, after reading Rays material, and seeing how Jesus really had nothing to do with the way governments were run, I am not so sure.

I know there are a lot of problems with the justice system. Innocent people are sent to prisions, and guilty people are set free. But, nothing has changed and if we don't have good people on our juries, then who is going to take such a job seriously? I know it's in Gods hands, but He did give us a mind to think about the consequences of what we are doing.

I know I probably won't be picked, but the possibility is still there.

I have believed in a paid jury system for the past few years. It would be worth the money to just have people who were trained and knew the law to some extant, and hopefully, make better choices.

hillsbororiver

Jury duty
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 05:00:18 PM »

Hi Debra, it is a bit of a drag just having to go to the Court House and proceed through all the hoops and mazes. I agree with what feat said that this does not compromise your faith but in fact is a civic duty (render to Caesar), I have a feeling though that if you fill out the questionnaire with honest answers as to your beliefs you won't be chosen anyway.

My wife got summoned for jury duty a few weeks ago and she immediately called them and said she could not be there on that day and they told her ok you're off! I tried that once and they told me I better get my tail in there, actually I have been summoned twice, rejected once and picked once.

A guy I used to work with said when he was asked about impartiality replied "who needs it, if the cops arrested the guy he must be guilty" that got him right out the door.

I am not suggesting you say that.......................

Joe

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 10:00:36 PM »

I received my first, since I moved to AZ 9 years ago, jury summons. I did a search, because I knew it had been talked about here before; so I am just replying to a topic already started.

I do know of some folks that would rather spend time in jail because of Scripture. I have read the Scripture they quote and don't really understand. I dislike saying I'm confused, however I am.
So, this will be a topic of study and prayer for me.
I have already sent my questionnaire back, online, and I have to call the day before to see if my group must attend.

buddyjc

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »

I got called for Federal grand jury once.  You don't answer any questions for this, they just draw chips out of a box, and if your number is called your in.  I had to serve for 18 months, two days a week.  My employer was not a happy camper, but there was nothing he could do about it. 

Brian

gmik

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 01:34:57 PM »

Well, ::) :-[

Jokes on me.  I didn't look at the dates and I got so excited to see Debra, Soren, Isabell and Jennie posting.  I was so happy!!   THEN... I noticed the dates.....oh well.......

Anyhoo, I got summoned to Federal all the way in Detroit.  I got my principal (I teach), and my 2 doctors to send in notes that I shouldn't serve all that way, yada yada and sure enough i got excused forever!!!

My husband served on a jury locally and totally loved it!!

So it just depends.  But I see no scriptural reason not to. Patrick it could be a great learning experience and you do meet new people. :)

gena

Brett

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »

go and be a light in the darkness.

Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

while you are sitting there waiting to be called the person next to you may need a word of encouragment, or just a smile and a pleasant conversation.

and if you get picked, that will be of God too.

go in love and wisdom of Christ.

Very good point! Absolutely is "OF GOD". ;)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 05:54:10 PM »

Maybe this is just a practice run for when you will be called to judge angels and nations with Christ .....we don't have jury where I live....only one Judge who sleeps sometimes.... :-\

Arcturus :)

SandyFla

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »

I've gotten called for jury duty (selection) twice but was never picked.

jennie

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

Just wanted to let you know ... I'm still here!!! I haven't been able to participate as much because we have som hard things going on in our lives right now. Much love, Jennie

gmik

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 10:24:17 PM »

Hi, Jennie.  How is Michael doing?? Now that the wedding is over won't things get a little easier?  Don't want to hi-jack thread, but it is so good to hear from you.

gena

jennie

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 05:23:45 PM »

I surely hope that things will get easier since we've had the wedding. Michael is doing all right. His strength is still less than usual  but thankfully there was no cancer. We have no insurance so we'll owe the doctors and hospitals for the rest of our lives but that will be okay too. Michael's dear Mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She also has diabetes, lupus and congenital heart disease. I have been trying my best to take good care of my Michael and take care of his Mother and Daddy too. I have always felt that when I married Michael his family truly became mine and what I would do for my blood kin I will do for Michael's family. I did all the wedding decorations, reception deco., made all the floral arrangements, bouquets, corsages and such for the wedding. I did a lot of cooking too in addition to making the wedding cake and my  daughter's veil! I think I am just about at the truly crazy level now! Oh well, that's living in the south for you! The women usually do anything anyone asks or needs and rest when we can! I miss getting to talk to ya'll so bad. Much love, Jennie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.