bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The hidden pandemic  (Read 5133 times)

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
The hidden pandemic
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »

This article (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3879) in "Foreign Policy" caught my attention.

It's no secret that millions of people are killed every year as a result of crime, and in particular ORGANIZED crime.

That didn't surprise me, but this DID:

There is no correlation between poverty and crime. Some poor countries have high crime rates; others don’t. Russia is far richer than Costa Rica, but its crime rates are substantially higher than those of Costa Rica. Some have suggested that crime rates may be explained by the strength of religious institutions, measured by church attendance and involvement in religious activities. Again, the statistical evidence isn’t there. Countries with high church attendance rates, such as Guatemala or the Philippines, for example, can also be plagued by murder.

In other words; church attendance does not help to lower the crime rate...

God bless you,
Eirik

EDIT:

After some further reading on the subject, I just learned that since 1960 the number of crimes reported to the police each year has increased by 873 percent in my country Norway. Also, 32 percent of the people living in London have been exposed to brutal robberies or other violent crimes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:18:27 PM by eggi »
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: The hidden pandemic
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:45 PM »

Best be our prayers for the commence and conclusion of God's will be done on Earth, for thy Kingdom to come

You've got that right Rodger, that would be my number one prayer.  Wouldn't it be sweet to wake up tomorrow in the kingdom age?

Craig

seminole

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:10:43 PM »

part of the reason the crime rate has risen so much is the increased population. More people -more crime. Life expectancy has increased as well due to health care, nutrition , etc. People live longer, populate the world more and we have seen and will see a greater increase in the crime rate.

iris

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »

I to think it would be great to wake up and be in the kingdom age.

Iris

Falconn003

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »

Craig and Iris

I am a total daydreamer ..so don't get me started....still got mowing and pruning to do  :D :D

God bless
Rodger

gmik

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »

Is there info on Japan?  I know they have syndicates and such, but there's is such an orderly society I wouldn't expect much crime and it is VERY crowded.

When my husband was in Russia he heard about the Russian mafia alot.  He heard it stemmed from hopelessness in their culture/society. Drunkeness was rampant.

My friend was a missionary in Guatamala.  They had to carry a gun and basically stay in the compound.  Couldn't trust the police at all.

But to Eggi's post- doesn't surprise me at all about church not being much of an influence.  Now a single person/pastor can make a big difference in the life of one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.