bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A shadow of things to come  (Read 6634 times)

bambam

A shadow of things to come
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »

Just as the Old Covenant was a shadow of better things to come, is the New Covenant a shadow of even better things to come.  I was thinking about this when I read the phrase "from glory to glory" found in 2 Cor.3:18.  We are being changed into His image one step at a time.  There is also the fact that when the religious leaders of Jesus day were faced with who and what Jesus was all about, they didn't get it.  They had Moses and the prophets and didn't even realize what it all meant.  So too, the religious leaders of today have the New Testament and do not even realize what it means-or what's in store for the coming ages.  I don't fully comprehend much myself, but one step at a time I see more and more.  It's hard to understand what "church"  was when Paul was alive, but they had it right-at least more than now.  Over years and years the church has been changed just as the temple and all of it's doings were infiltrated in Jesus day.  So the next thing is just another stage in the process.  I guess that's why I ask if the New Covenant is a shadow because religion just doesn't get it.   They have the New Testament and have distorted it through the years just as the religious leaders did with Moses and the law.  It meant something they did not see, and the New Testament means something Christendom does not see.

Blessings,
Beth     

hillsbororiver

Re: A shadow of things to come
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:29:32 PM »

Great post Beth!

I believe this underlines what your topic is all about;

2Ti 3:12  Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

2Ti 3:13  But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

2Ti 3:14  But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

2Ti 3:15  And that from a child thou hast known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

LittleBear

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »

Hi Beth!

1 Cor 13:12  For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

We are in a process of refinement and of knowledge. There are many things that I still don't get, and there are many things that I don't even know of that God will reveal to me and to you in due time. Every time I get another nugget of wisdom, I rejoice, because I know that much more than I did before. What an honour to be transformed into His image!

Love,

Ursula

Bradigans

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 11:37:49 PM »

Just as the Old Covenant was a shadow of better things to come, is the New Covenant a shadow of even better things to come.  I was thinking about this when I read the phrase "from glory to glory" found in 2 Cor.3:18.  We are being changed into His image one step at a time.  There is also the fact that when the religious leaders of Jesus day were faced with who and what Jesus was all about, they didn't get it.  They had Moses and the prophets and didn't even realize what it all meant.  So too, the religious leaders of today have the New Testament and do not even realize what it means-or what's in store for the coming ages.  I don't fully comprehend much myself, but one step at a time I see more and more.  It's hard to understand what "church"  was when Paul was alive, but they had it right-at least more than now.  Over years and years the church has been changed just as the temple and all of it's doings were infiltrated in Jesus day.  So the next thing is just another stage in the process.  I guess that's why I ask if the New Covenant is a shadow because religion just doesn't get it.   They have the New Testament and have distorted it through the years just as the religious leaders did with Moses and the law.  It meant something they did not see, and the New Testament means something Christendom does not see.

Blessings,
Beth     

I don't even believe it's meant for all to get it besides the called and chosen. Jesus said to His disciples in Matthew 13:17 - For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. Like then, everybody is not a disciple of Christ.

As far as the New Testament being a shadow like the Old Testament, I'm not certain. Matthew 11:13 says - For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.Also read Hebrews 8:1-5 about the Old Testament Tabernacle (law and prophets) being a pattern and foreshadow of things to come. Do you have any scripture to support that notion of New Testament being possibly a shadow like the Old Testament?

Anyway, my personal belief is that the Old covenant is still in fulfillment phase. Jesus said in Matthew 5:17 - Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Christ is still here. Do you remember pentecost? He hasn't left, and I believe is still fulfilling Old covenant through His Holy Spirit filled lively stoned Church (1Pet2:5). I believe a lot is going on subliminally, and we can't always expect to be fully aware of THE SPIRITS movings.     

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »

As far as the New Testament being a shadow like the Old Testament, I'm not certain. Matthew 11:13 says - For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.Also read Hebrews 8:1-5 about the Old Testament Tabernacle (law and prophets) being a pattern and foreshadow of things to come. Do you have any scripture to support that notion of New Testament being possibly a shadow like the Old Testament?   

Hi Bradigans.

You ask: "Do you have any scripture to support that notion of New Testament being possibly a shadow like the Old Testament?"

I am not sure what you were thinking when you asked this question. :)

1Cr 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Cr 15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Cr 15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The whole Greek Scriptures speak of npthing but the coming Kindom of God.

Luk 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

Mans, interpreation of God's Word will be done away with. Even the need for fleshly apostles to convey the Word to the masses. The coming Kingdom and all that will be required of the chosen will bring about something no man can foretell. Not even the NT. For it, is merely a shadow of what is to come.

I am sure you can see this :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

gmik

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:54:41 AM »

Joe, it is interesting that Timothy was told the holy scriptures would make him wise unto salvation....

and wasn't that speaking of the OT or was that just the first 5 books, or the prophets???  Was that saying that all you need is the OT to find Christ...

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:19 AM »

Hi Gena,

Remember these letters were not only for the addressees but for all believers through all the generations, it is true though that the OT was full of prophecies of Christ (Isaiah especially comes to mind) but the NT amplifies the OT prophecies, it is a testimonial record of the fulfilment of all things through Christ.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Kat

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:38:08 AM »

Thanks Joe, your insight into this matter is appreciated.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

bambam

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »

Interesting input from everyone!! ;)  Sometimes I think about what people had before the old testament came into being.  There were many generations of people who lived before Moses and the prophets.  What I find interesting, and what led me to the question in the beginning of this thread, was the fact that averything seems to be happening in stages.  From the beginning creation to the new testament, things happened in certain ways in each generation.  But how many people actually knew what the Old Covenant really meant?  Not many.  Just as with the New Testament.  Someday all those that thought they new the Bible and what it means are going to look back just as we are able to do with the Old Testament.   I can picture people saying, "Oh that's what the New Testament was all about."  I honestly can't sit here and quote scripture to back my rambling thoughts, but as I read and study, these are the things that have been coming into my heart. ;D 

Blessings,
Beth   

Bradigans

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

Hi Bradigans.

You ask: "Do you have any scripture to support that notion of New Testament being possibly a shadow like the Old Testament?"

I am not sure what you were thinking when you asked this question. :)

1Cr 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Cr 15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Cr 15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The whole Greek Scriptures speak of npthing but the coming Kindom of God.

Luk 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

Mans, interpreation of God's Word will be done away with. Even the need for fleshly apostles to convey the Word to the masses. The coming Kingdom and all that will be required of the chosen will bring about something no man can foretell. Not even the NT. For it, is merely a shadow of what is to come.

I am sure you can see this :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

My question is this, is the kingdom already here waiting for some of us to by faith enter in? Jesus said in John 6:63 - It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. Luke 17:20-21 says - And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation (2 Corinthians 5:7): neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.What is this kingdom of God that's suppose to be in you? Romans 14:17 says - For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.Is the kingdom related to the fruit of THE SPIRIT? I'm not stating anything here. I'm finding out, i don't know anything. I'm just posing a question here in regard to my limited knowledge and insight. Again, is THE KINGDOM a plain of spirituality? John the baptist did say I believe in anticipation the coming of Christ and His Church in Matthew 3:2 - Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Is the kingdom already here awaiting some of us by faith to enter in? Hebrews 4:11 - Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I know I may be way off here in my quest for the truth. I do believe though that there are some folks living on some high spiritual plains. We would probably never notice them in our affluent society based on what we call their circumstance and plight in life. They go unnoticed. I would love to get to that other side, but know now that I am yet too carnal and plugged in. I still want things to be too convenient. I want to experience the kingdom, but not the pain it may take to get there. Matthew 16:24 - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.I more or less here right now. Luke 9:62 - And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.I believe I'm beginning to look back like the nation Israel because I'm wondering when will all the pain end. I know I went off on a tangent. 

YellowStone

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »

Hi Bradigans, more than likely I was a little brash in my response to you, so please forgive me.

All that you write is true. There are those being pulled into God's kingdom and His rule right now, but it is only a "shadow" of what is to come. Perhaps this is a good way of understanding wat I am trying to say. When Christ walked the Earth, he cast a shadow but he no does no longer. Christ in his true spiritual is free of shadows. Look at yourself now standing in the sunlight, do you no cast a shadow? Do you see Christ at yourside?

Paul knew that he too cast a shadow, but in an instant to come, he would no longer.

1Cr 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.

Everything we see, hear, taste, touch or smell is but a shadow if the glory to follow.

Love in Chrost,
Darren

Bradigans

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »

Hi Darren, how's it going? I now see where you're coming from. Amen!!!

oh, and know need for an apology. I'm finding out through posting e-mail, it doesn't always denote one's impression or expression. I look at some of the post i wrote, and I say I hope they don't think I meant it like this or meant it like that.

Anyway, I see exactly where you're coming from now. thanks!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.