bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaking the earth  (Read 5155 times)

iris

Shaking the earth
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

Hebrews 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

Hebrews 12:27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shakin, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Is this talking about the elect or about people in general? Could it also be referring to buildings and such? Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Iris

Redbird

Re: Shaking the earth
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:48 AM »

Hi Iris,

I think those verses can be speaking of all of the above mentioned.  Also, things in the physical and spiritual realms. :)

Peace to you ~ Lisa

iris

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been doing some research on both of the
scriptures, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Iris

Redbird

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »

You're welcome, Iris.  Here are some scriptures to my thoughts;

1 Th 1:3  Remembering without ceasing your work of faith and labor of love, and patience of hope in OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, in the sight of God and our Father.

1 Th 5:8  But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for a helmet, the hope of salvation.

1 Cr 13:13   And now ABIDETH  FAITH, HOPE, CHARITY, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:32:20 PM by Redbird »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »

Hi Iris,

Hebrews 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

Hebrews 12:27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shakin, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Verse 26 is in reference to Exodus 19, when God came down to Mount Sinai to give the Israelites the Law.

Exo 19:11  And let them be ready for the third day. For on the third day the LORD will come down upon Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.
v. 17  And Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain.
v. 18  Now Mount Sinai was completely in smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire. Its smoke ascended like the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mountain quaked greatly.
v. 19  An d when the blast of the trumpet sounded long and became louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God answered him by voice.
v. 18  Now all the people witnessed the thunderings, the lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off.

As we know this is but a shadow of what is to come.
So in Heb. 12:27, Paul is talking about; "the removing of those things that are shakin, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain."

Here is the meaning of shaken.

shaken
G4531
saleuō
to waver, that is, agitate, rock, topple or (by implication) destroy; figuratively to disturb, incite: - move, shake (together), which can [-not] be shaken, stir up.

I believe the word shaken in this verse is talking about throwing down corrupt things in this world, both in heaven and on the earth, when Christ returns.  As is referred to in Isaiah and Luke.

Isa 24:19  The earth is utterly broken, the earth is split apart, the earth is violently shaken.
v. 20  The earth staggers like a drunken man; it sways like a hut; its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again.
v. 21  On that day the LORD will punish the host of heaven, in heaven, and the kings of the earth, on the earth.

Isa 13:13  Therefore I will make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken out of its place, at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger.

Luke 21:25  "And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves,
v. 26  people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
v. 27  And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

When Christ returns it will not be calm and subtle event, all will see Him coming.

Rev 1:7  Behold, He comes with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, and those who pierced Him will see Him, and all the kindreds of the earth will wail because of Him. Even so, Amen.

So in Heb. 12:27, "the removing of those things that are shakin..."  I think this is talking about all the the things in the world that are not solid in the truth.

2Th 2:1  Now we beseech you, brethren, touching the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together unto him;
v. 2  to the end that ye be not quickly shaken from your mind, nor yet be troubled, either by spirit, or by word, or by epistle as from us, as that the day of the Lord is just at hand;

So we are not to be shaken from the truth, so we can stand before the Lord at His return.

Eph 6:13  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

I hope this was put together in a way that you can understand what I was trying to convey  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

iris

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

Hi Kat,

Thank you so much for your kindness, and all the scriptures you provided.
I understand these two scriptures a lot better now.

So in Heb. 12:27, "the removing of those things that are shakin..."  I think this is talking about all the the things in the world that are not solid in the truth

So we are not to be shaken from the truth, so we can stand before the Lord at His return.

Eph 6:13  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

I Think your right.
Heb.12:27 uses the word signifieth, so these things would probably be
Spiritual rather that physical.

Lisa, thank you for the scriptures. They talk about Faith, Hope and Charity.
The greatest of these being Charity (Love). Love is something we all need more of.

Peace and Love,
Iris

insanezenmistress

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:06 AM »

After reading these posts........i had no answer, but i did "go to" a passage of scripture and it seemed to express something of an answer.

So without my comment, if this is for you, here are the verses.

Ezekiel 31:10-18

Therefore, thus says the Lord God "Because it is (you are)high in stature, and it has set it's top amung the clouds ( thick boughs) and its heart is haughty in its loftyness, therefore I will give it into the hand of a despot of the nations; he will thoughtly deal with it. According to its wickedness (our wickedness) I have driven it away.

And alien tyrants of the nations have cut it down and left it on the mountians and in all the valleys its branches have fallen, and its boughs  have been broken in all the ravines of the land. All of the people of the earth have gone down from its shade and left it.

On its ruin all the birds of the heavens will dwelll   and all the beasts of the feild will be on its fallen branches in order that all the trees by the waters may not be exaulted in their stature, nor set their top amoung the clouds(thick boughs), nor their well -watered mighty ones stand erect in their sight. For they have all been given over to death, to the earth beneath , among thesons of men, with those who go down into the pit.

Thus says the LORD GOD, "On the day when it came down to sheol I caused lamentations; I closed the deep over it and held back its rivers And it's many waters where stopped up, and i made Lebanon mourn for it (be darkened for it)  and all the trees of the feild wilted away on account of it.

I made the nations quake at the sound of it's fall when i made it go down into Sheol with those who go down into the pit; and all the well-watered trees (drinkers of water) of Eden, the choisest and best of Lebanon, were comforted in the earth beneath.

They also went down with it to Sheol to those who where slain by the sword; and those who were its strenght(arm) lived under its shade among the nations.

To which among the trees of Eden are you thus equal to in glory and greatness?  Yet you will be brought down with the trees of Eden to the earth beneath; you will lie in the midst of the uncircumcised, with those who where slain by the sword. 

SO IS  Pharaoh and all his multitude!   Declares the Lord God.

chuckt

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »

ohhhhhh neat thread.

11 For other foundation can no one lay beside that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone is building on this foundation gold and silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw,
13 each one's work will become apparent, for the day will make it evident, for it is being revealed by fire. And the fire, it will be testing each one's work -- what kind it is.
14 If anyone's work will be remaining which he builds on it, he will get wages.
15 If anyone's work shall be burned up, he will forfeit it, yet he shall be saved, yet thus, as through fire.
16 Are you not aware that you are a temple of God and the spirit of God is making its home in you

if you are the temple of God you will constanlty be being measured.

lots more eh................

peace
chuckt
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:01:19 PM by chuckt »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.