bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I knew then............  (Read 6360 times)

DizzyD

If I knew then............
« on: August 09, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »

I just had a flashback to my days of Babylon when I was about 15 or 16 yrs of age (I am now in my mid 50's) One sunday morning the pastor told the congregation that God had revealed to him that Jesus was coming back within 2 yrs, well that is well past that time. I was new to  churchianity at that time and was not familiar with scriptures, but needless to say the scripture says that the only one that knows when that will be is the  Father. If I had known that at that time I would have stood up and refuted what was just said.
                       The main thing I question now is why did not one of the elders or deacons do that. It just seems to validate the point that lost sheep will follow anyone that says "Lord, Lord" blindly thinking nothing of it, or not thinking at all.
                            Bud

gmik

Re: If I knew then............
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »

Yep, I read 88 reasons Jesus is coming in '88.  Really believed it but all the while, deep inside, that nagging persisted...""no one knows but the Father, no one knows but the Father"......

I would just push that thought further down or would drown it out because I wanted the 88 reasons to be true more than the Word.  Yuck!

musicman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »

I think he meant 2088.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:15:07 AM by musicman »

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »

Hi Bud,

I know a lot of people with a lot of regrets regarding mistakes made long since. I made a pact with myself many years ago to die without a regret. I was young then and it sounded reasonable. :)

Yet, invariably things happen and we find ourselves in places we could never imagine. I believe there are two things we must take from this when looking back:

1. Knowing all that one knew at the time, how could have things
    been done differently? Thus no regrets

2. What was that God teaching me? Remember to fully know love,
    one must understand the depths of despair. Or to know
    and appreciate goodness, one must first understand evil.

I do not believe that there is a single momemt lost on this Earth that can not be turned into a positive experience. Sometimes He leads us into darkness in order to show us the light. I am thinking there will be more than a few who will be truly blinded when they finally see the truth.

Psa 23:1  The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.
Psa 23:2  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 
Psa 23:3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Psa 23:4  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Psa 23:5  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 
Psa 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Love to you in Christ,
Darren

gmik

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »

I think he meant 2088.

LOL ;D   Probably!!

Jackie Lee

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:54:07 AM »

Nice post Darren!

rvhill

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »

I think he meant 2088.

Sir Isaac Newton said 2060, but something tell me he is wrong, and it will be after that date

iris

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »

I think he meant 2088.

Maybe he really meant 2008!  ;D

About 5 years ago I was reading on a website that this guy had gone through the bible and figured up that the 6000 years since the making of Adam would end in 2008.  :D  ;D  :D

Peace and Love
Iris

rvhill

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 05:16:00 AM »

I think he meant 2088.

Maybe he really meant 2008!  ;D

About 5 years ago I was reading on a website that this guy had gone through the bible and figured up that the 6000 years since the making of Adam would end in 2008.  :D  ;D  :D

Peace and Love
Iris

The real question is when was Adam made? The bible does give his age at death, but did that start when he was made, or when he ate of the fruit?

iris

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »

Hi rvhill,

That's a good question!!!  ;D

I think though, he started at a time line. Which may have been the flood and then worked his way forwards and backwards. Its been a while since I read about it and my memory isn't what it used to be!  :D  ;D

Peace and Love
Iris

gmik

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 02:09:38 AM »

Maybe its not years at all, but generations.  Matthew tells us that it was 14 generations from Abe to David; 14 generations from David to Babylon; 14 generations from captivity in babylon until Christ.(Matt 1:17)

That could mean something?  Maybe?? (I haven't a clue)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 08:21:50 AM »

I believe that Jesus comes to some of us through judgment NOW and others will face the second death.

When He is coming is not important. That He is coming is and to whom He comes that too is important. Are we His children under His chastisements now or not? Are we on easy street and believing the lie or not? Are we knowing that our life is but a vapour and are we discerning in ourselves whether or not we have been called in this life to suffer correction, repentance and judgment or is that reserved for later?

For all the time we have, I am grateful....not that I do not want Him to return...but have to clean up real quick....and receiving daily His Grace is the vital need I believe....Grace..."divine influence on our hearts"...ref Ray Smith

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:26:11 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.