bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: personal 'off forum' continuation of discussions  (Read 4299 times)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
personal 'off forum' continuation of discussions
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »

Folks and moderators,

I understand and completely agree with the moderation style of this privately owned forum.

I also understand that sometimes we get stuck on a particular topic and want to hear a little more from a new friend on the forum.  As in face to face round table discussions, it is often difficult to fully grasp another person's perspective until you repeat back what you understood them to say. 

Perhaps in that situation, an alternative would be personal communication directly to that individual's email until the topic is thoroughly expounded to the satisfaction of the participants.

I am willing to discuss more in depth, any topics any of the members would like to expand upon.  If any of you folks agree, please print your personal email address in the profile section so we can get together in private without drawing everyone else into the expanded discussion.

This should be safe since the profile is open to members only as I understand it.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions.  :o)

bob.breyfogle@gmail.com

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: personal 'off forum' continuation of discussions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »

Bob,

You can PM members and it would accomplish the same thing, and email addresses would not have to be given out.

Craig

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:39:16 PM »

Craig,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that again.
In the past I tried a couple of times and didn't receive a response and wasn't sure I was getting through.
I suppose that I thought that the PM was filtered or moderated also.
Your 'simple machines' forum is very well done and has lots of options that I am unfamiliar with since my experience has been with yahoo and with google mail where everything seems to be in time sequential order.

If a person is focused on general discussions, how would they know if I sent them a personal?

Sometimes when I send a message it doesn't appear in the section I had been reading until much later.  Are these all delayed while they are moderated?

I respect your forum's privacy and purpose, but the many options are confusing to me.  When I don't log on for three days the topic is often locked at message 30 for example when I had been reading and wished to respond to message 5 before there was any controversy or before the subject had fizzled out.  Then if a subject is closed the person who wrote number five will never know that I responded.

I don't understand the option area "all new messages since your last log on"  it doesn't seem to work for me.  Or maybe I'm just being ignored and that is my own fault for being boring or redundant. In my other forums, it is considered un-friendly to not acknowledge a members message even if all you do is say that you are busy.

Forums are more useful when they are simpler, even if they are more dangerous.

However, please understand that I do appreciate the need for a fire wall, especially after the problems you all had with the former provider.

I remain your humble servant and friend.  Bob

Sue Creamer

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »

Hi Indianbob,

I did not realize that I could receive personal messages and therefore was not looking for them until just this morning when I was pushing buttons (that's how I learn) and I found some messages, much to my pleasure.  I hope that those who were kind enough to send me a message can forgive my MAJOR lack of computer savvy..I will always respond and am always pleased for the personal attention. 

Your friend,
Sue Ann

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:19:03 PM »

Hi Bob,

If a person is focused on general discussions, how would they know if I sent them a personal?

The forum is set so that anybody that sends a pm, the person you are sending it to will receive a message box.  This message box will appear as soon as you sign in or if it is sent while you are at the forum, it will come up whenever you click to a new page or post.  This message box is only to indicate you have a message, you must go to the top of the page and you will see a line like this;
                                          click here
                                               V
 Home  Help  Search  Profile  My Messages  Calendar  Members  Logout

This will take you to your message board where you can view all your message any time. 

Sometimes when I send a message it doesn't appear in the section I had been reading until much later.  Are these all delayed while they are moderated?

I'm not sure about this delay you are talking about.  I'm unaware of mods holding posts to consider them.  Maybe on a rare occasion this has been done, but the poster would have been informed about this.

As Sue Ann said, look around at some of the options and click on some of them, you might just be unaware of what's there.  If you are still having problems let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to better help you.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »

In the past I tried a couple of times and didn't receive a response and wasn't sure I was getting through.
I suppose that I thought that the PM was filtered or moderated also.

They should be going through and no, pm's are not moderated and they can't be viewed by a moderator

It should appear at the top of the screen like Kat said

I'm not sure I understand you here.  I've not seen any delays myself and individual posts cannot be moderated, so they should post right away

When I don't log on for three days the topic is often locked at message 30 for example when I had been reading and wished to respond to message 5 before there was any controversy or before the subject had fizzled out.  Then if a subject is closed the person who wrote number five will never know that I responded.

Unfortunately that can happen.  Topics take quick turns down dead end streets.  If you want to respond you can start a new topic and copy and paste the post you wish to respond to in that post.  But please don't try to resurrect the controversy, that could get you in trouble with the moderators ;D
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.