bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Jude  (Read 4692 times)

hillsbororiver

Hey Jude
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »

Is there scriptural evidence that Jude is one of our Lord's brothers?

Jud 1:1  Jude2455, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called.

G2455
Ἰουδάς
Ioudas
ee-oo-das'
Of Hebrew origin [H3063]; Judas (that is, Jehudah), the name of ten Israelites; also of the posterity of one of them and its region: - Juda (-h, -s); Jude.

Mar 6:3  Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joses and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Did "Jude" identify himself as just "the brother of James" out of a converted, humble heart? Remember our Lord's (half) brothers and sisters did not believe on/in Him when He returned to His home town.

Joh 7:3  His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence and go into Judea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.

Joh 7:4  For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, show thyself to the world.

Joh 7:5  For neither did his brethren believe in him.

(John 7 is an incredible chapter to meditate on.)

Could James and Jude had a change of heart at Pentacost?

Act 1:14  These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus and with his brethren.

It is obvious there were two "James" and one died before the Book of James was written, who is this Jude a brother to?

Act 12:2  And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.

Leaving one James, the brother of Jesus? The brother of Jude?

Nothing earth shattering here, may be interesting though.....

His Peace to you,

Joe

Beloved

Re: Hey Jude
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »

There were 120 in the upper room and here is a scripture that answers your question

(Act 1:13 KJVR) 
And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

(Act 1:14 KJVR) 
These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Beloved

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »

There definitelty two people name Judas who are brothers of a person names James is diffucult to know which one wrote the Book in the NT. There were three James, James the thunderbluster , James Alphaeus and James the 1/2 borther of Jesus.  There were at least three brother teams in the group of the Apostles. 

Luk 6:16  And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.

Act 1:13  And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

Then there is this verse thrown in to confuse, either he is not an apostle and is referring to them or he is talking in the third person about himself like they often did.

(Jud 1:17 REV) 
But, ye, beloved! remember the things which were foretold by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Beloved
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:16:54 PM by Beloved »

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:02:12 PM »

Hi Joe,

Interesting subject,

Mat 12:47  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

Mat 12:48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

Mat 12:49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

Mat 12:50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Even if we are not told specifically, there is some evidence to the claim Jude was indeed a brother to the Lord.

peace

Chris.

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »

Interesting study Joe :)

Chris, there is no doubt that in one form or another that Jude was in deed a brother to the lord.

Beloved, I think you hit on something in vs' 17

Jud 1:17  But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

It does appear that Jude is distancing himself from the apostles and it may be tied to the way he introduces himself in verse 1.

Jud 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, ....

It is interesting how Jude in this verse does not refer to himself as the son of someone, as was the usual practice, instead he seemed more interested in linking himself as the brother to James who was very prominate in the church at Jerusalem during this time.

Of course neither brother ever outright stated that they were brothers to Christ, yet Mathew certainly did.

Mat 13:55  Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Paul mentioned Christs brothers on several occasions but not by name. One could assume with a little assurance that Jude was indeed the brother of Christ (perhaps even a half brother) but I would tend to agree with Chris's reasononing if I were a betting man :)

Great thread,

Love in Christ,
Darren

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:27:52 AM by YellowStone »

Beloved

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 12:46:04 AM »

Yes Chris R and Darren I agree whole heartedly no matter which Jude... wrote the book he was spiritually His bother

Joh 6:63  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth no

Mat 23:8 
But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren

The things that intrigues me that how incredibly harder it was for HIS physical brethern to comprehned the marvelous workings of God and the workings of Jesus Christ down through the age.  It 2000 years later now and I have no sibs but it must have been mind boggling and perplexing close up.

Christ addresses this when talking to Thomas

Joh 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

The Faith of Christ is uncomprehensible to the natural mind and I am so thankful for His mercy and of this Gift.

Beloved

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts, comments and observations Beloved, Chris & Darren,

This kind of takes me back to Craig's thought provoking topic about wanting to chat with Joseph as to the experience of living through and with the awesome calling of raising the Son of God. What was it like for His brothers and sisters as well?

Do you think the neighborhood wise guys had a field day with witty remarks about their uh, eccentric eldest Brother? How might this have affected His siblings as they were also unconverted and not even followers of Him?

How about Mary? She must have had some internal turmoil as far as how the rest of her children perceived Jesus.

His Peace to you,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.