bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oh hades, what is sleep?  (Read 5633 times)

bowlbyx

oh hades, what is sleep?
« on: April 21, 2006, 01:02:24 AM »

1 Thess 5:6-7

6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
KJV

What is sleep here?  I figure the chosen are in the day, and the many called are in the night.  but what does sleep signify?

thanks in advanced

GOD bless
david

ertsky

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:17:57 AM »

oops try again ertsky LOL!

slumber, not awake to the plan and truths of God ?

as in

Pro 6:6  Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
Pro 6:7  Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
Pro 6:8  Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
Pro 6:9  How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
Pro 6:10  Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
Pro 6:11  So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

as opposed to seek and keep on seeking

f

hey good to see you too David :)

bowlbyx

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:20:20 AM »

hey i wondered where you have been i havent seen anything posted by you in awhile.  Glad your still here

GOD bless
david

chrissiela

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:21:30 AM »

David...

The previous verse gives you some of the answer:

1Th 5:5  
Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.[/list:u]

Light is given to those in darkness:

Luk 1:78  Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the
dayspring from on high hath visited us,

Luk 1:79  To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.[/list:u]

We are awakened from our 'sleep':

Rom 13:11  And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to
awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.[/list:u]

We are resurrected from death (spiritually speaking)... passing from death TO LIFE.

We are 'awaked' out of 'sleep'... the same thing.

Sleep in this verse (and many others) is talking about those who 'walk in darkness', those who are 'asleep', those who are (spiritually) 'dead'.

Chrissie

bowlbyx

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:23:36 AM »

how do i know if i am asleep or awake?

GOD bless

david

ertsky

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:27:39 AM »

if you are seeking and keep on seeking then there is a good chance you are awake.

if you are asleep you wouldn't care much as you'd be asleep.

when i'm asleep He wakes me up (lest i sleep the sleep of death)  :)

f

chrissiela

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »

Quote from: bowlbyx
how do i know if i am asleep or awake?

GOD bless

david

trick question??  :lol:  :lol:

Rom 8:7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Rom 8:8  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Rom 8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Rom 8:10  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Rom 8:11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Rom 8:12  Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

Rom 8:13  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Rom 8:15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.[/list:u]

OR:

1Jo 4:8  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1Jo 4:9  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1Jo 4:10  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

1Jo 4:11  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

1Jo 4:12  No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1Jo 4:13  Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

1Jo 4:14  And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

1Jo 4:15  Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

1Jo 4:16  And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.[/list:u]

AND:

Mat 7:16  Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?[/list:u]

The fruit of the flesh vs the fruit of the spirit:

Gal 5:19  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Gal 5:20  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Gal 5:21  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 5:24  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.[/list:u]

Only God can reveal to you whether or not you are His. Many will say unto Him in that day Lord Lord and He will tell them that He never knew them....

But certainly their are indicators... and usually a 'change' is seen and felt from WITHIN.... We must decrease and He must increase.... if you are to be a "NEW creature" ...  

So the 'short' answer is...

I'm not sure anyone can tell you 'that'.... He has ro reveal it to you.... and you must have faith and hope IN HIM....

PRAY that he make you a NEW CREATURE. PRAY that he reveal Himself and the Father to you..... KNOCK... He is standing at the door (He IS the DOOR  :wink: )...

Chrissie

bowlbyx

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:51:06 AM »

Thanks chrissiela i have to reread what you wrote.  it wasnt a trick question OR was it?   :lol:

I dont want to be a vessel of dishonour.  i feel like sometimes im one of those lord lord guys.  patience to me.  oh i need the patience.  thanks agian

ok it wasnt a trick question, no it was, no it wasnt, no it was, not it wasnt

GOD bless
david

chrissiela

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 02:01:23 AM »

HI David:

I sort of think of it like this...

Prior to Christ's death and resurrection there was just life and death, in the physical natural sense (first the natural, then the spiritual).

But Chirst, during His ministry, started to bring those things that are 'shadows' into the light.... and show us how 'death' is likened to 'sleep'.

He raised the physically DEAD.... to physical LIFE....  as an EXAMPLE of how the spiritually dead are raise to spiritual life in/through HIM.

He started to change the 'terminology':

Mat 9:24  He said unto them, Give place: for
the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

Mar 5:39  And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

Luk 8:52  And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.[/list:u]
He did this to indicate the RESURRECTION of the DEAD.

In the same way that the physically dead are resurrected... the SPIRITUALLY 'dead' are resurrected (passing from death to life).

and so death is likened to SLEEP... and those who are spiritually (or physically, for that matter) 'dead' are but 'asleep'... awaiting their 'resurrection' (either now or later)...

Christ said "let the dead bury their dead".... indicating that the 'dead' (those who 'sleep', spiritually) do walk and talk....  :lol:

Chrissie

chrissiela

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 02:11:00 AM »

ok.... ONE more thought...  :roll:  :lol:

We are told to "rightly divide" the word of God, right?

Was talking to another brother earlier and I am thinking more and more that alot of that (dividing) has to do with dividing the 'light' from the 'darkness'... the 'natural' (or carnal) from the 'spiritual'.

Being able to 'see' past the shadows (the natural, that which is seen) to the reality (the spiritual, that which is unseen).

Joh 6:63  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Look for the SPIRITUAL application vs the natural/literal application.... every time.... and see what you 'see'  :wink:

Chrissie

bowlbyx

oh hades, what is sleep?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 09:26:57 AM »

He did this to indicate the RESURRECTION of the DEAD.

In the same way that the physically dead are resurrected... the SPIRITUALLY 'dead' are resurrected (passing from death to life).

and so death is likened to SLEEP... and those who are spiritually (or physically, for that matter) 'dead' are but 'asleep'... awaiting their 'resurrection' (either now or later)...

Christ said "let the dead bury their dead".... indicating that the 'dead' (those who 'sleep', spiritually) do walk and talk....  

Chrissie

Awesome thanks.  I enjoy your post

This makes sense.

GOD bless
david
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.