bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I chosen ?  (Read 6012 times)

Andrew

Am I chosen ?
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:14:17 AM »

Hi all

In the period of the called we in, how do I know who is merely called but not chosen and vi ca verse ?

I know that only God can call you,"drag" you and no one comes to Christ on his own steam.

I have read through Rays papers for the first time and recall many places where "the called" and "the few chosen" are mentioned.

Could someone please show me how they know that they are either "called" and "chosen" or just "called" ?

Humbly in Christ

Chris R

Re: Am I chosen ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »

Hi Andrew

The short answer is, We Don't know.

And following my short answer you will see many post the scriptures that explain why it is we don't know.

Here is one  I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway
[1Cor 9:27]

Paul knew that at anytime, God could create circumstances that would cause him to go another direction.

Chris R

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

And....I don't believe Paul knew either.  He said he tried his best and ran the good race, but he knew it was in God's hands.

Craig

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »

As explained, we do not know while we are alive. That is pretty much the bottom line I think.

To continue off this theme, I believe it is our death that signifies if we are chosen or if we have died faithful and in obedience to Christ.

For example, Paul was warned through the Spirit that if he went to Rome he would meet his death. He went anyway and said fairwell to his brethren. Christ strengthened him to martyrdom and before Paul left he wrote his last letter to Timothy wherein he wrote2 Tim : 4:18 And indeed the Lord will certainly deliver and draw me to Himself from every assault of evil. He will preserve and bring me safe unto His heavenly kingdom.

I believe that Paul knew he was chosen not for having been the instrument of Christ but because he was appointed by Christ and strengthened to die for the faith and good news of the Gospel of Christ. He laid down his life and Jesus made him do so because only Jesus can choose who He chooses. Paul chose to meet his certain death in Rome and Christ gave him the strength to do so. I believe because Jesus chose Paul he is now one of the chosen who will be raised to life in Christ at the Resurrection to Life....not so much because of how he lived...but how Christ appointed him to die.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:04:39 PM by Arcturus »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »

Hi Andrew,

Here are a few emails, I think they may help you get a better idea of the called and the chosen.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2633.0.html -------

Dear Tony:
We must learn to read more carefully. Every word is important. Here is what Jesus said: "But I say unto That whosoever is angry with HIS BROTHER....and whosoever shall say to HIS BROTHER, Raca...." (Matt. 5:22).

These lying, two-faced, blaspheming hypocrites were not Jesus' "brothers." Here are those who are Christ's "BROTHERS":  "For whosoever shall DO THE WILL OF MY FATHER which is in heaven, the same IS MY BROTHER...." (Matt. 12:50).  Contrarywise, "whosoever shall NOT do the will of My father is NOT my brother..."  This is because "Ye [same scribes and Pharisees] are of YOUR FATHER [not Christ's FAther, but YOUR father] THE DEVIL"  (John 8:44).

God be with you,

Ray

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=109.msg393#msg393 ---

Dear Daryn:

You question is: Why does God call many but only choose a few? Because there is much greater learning to be gained by the way God is doing it.  

We need to thoroughly understand why the many called will not be in the Kingdom of God.  We are to rely completely and totally on God for our salvation. The many called rely on their own blasphemous, free-will sovereignty over God. They believe that they can either make or brake God, all according to how they will exercise their own fabled "free will."  

Those who are in the first resurrection have been totally purged of any such blasphemy.  God determines how deeply He wants His Sons and Daughters to understand these spiritual truths before they are accepted into His Kingdom. Even Paul had no guarantee that he would be saved regardless of how he either obeyed or did not obey until the very end. Yet, "All is of God."

God be with you,
Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4866.0.html -----------

I have stated this very very clearly in my writings: If God has chosen and pre-ordained you to be one of His Chosen Elect Few, THEN YOU WILL BE ONE OF THEM. Period.  Ananias and Sapphira were decidedly NOT two of God's Chosen Elect. They were CALLED, but not chosen, and like all "called" but NOT chosen, they could NOT obey from the heart and be among those in the first resurrection to reign with Jesus.

It matters not, Brett, whether we say it is necessary to "do" something or that we "must do" something. The word "must" does not necessarily add to or detract from something that God says will be "DONE."  Example:  Jesus said, "And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and DO not the things which I say?" (Luke 6:46).  Now do we see the words "MUST DO" in this verse? NO.  But can you imagine one of the disciples saying to Jesus: "You mean we MUST do what you say?"  OF COURSE  we "must" do what Jesus says!!  But that does not mean that we "do" what we "MUST do" by our own power and will. Nothing I have said in Installment 16 contradicts the Scriptures or anything that I have said in any of my other installments.  God KNOWS who is and who isn't one of His chosen elect, but WE DON'T.  That is how God keeps us from becoming spiritually lazy and complacent. It may "appear" that God has "chosen" us for one of His elect, but there is no way of be ing 100% sure until THE END.

This is why, the Greatest Apostle who has ever lived, said that even he could be a "castaway" from the Kingdom of God if he did not daily fight the good fight of faith (I Cor. 9:27).

God be with you,
Ray
---------------------------------------------------------

Here is a excerpt from Ray's paper 'A Scriptural Explanation of the Lake of Fire' part 5 in the Lake of fire series.  I think this will give you a better understanding of who the chosen are.

http://bible-truths.com/lake5.html -------------------------

WE ARE GOD’S GARDEN

In what "certain ways" are we "like God’s garden?" Remember we must compare spiritual things with spiritual. Answer:

"My Father is the Farmer… "I [Jesus] am the grape vine. You [that’s us] are the branches. He who is remaining in Me, and I in him, this one is BRINGING FORTH MUCH FRUIT" (John 15:1 & 5). I

sn’t this easy when we stop fighting God’s Word with our own preconceived doctrines? And trust me; this is as hard as it get, if we will just allow God’s spirit to TEACH US spiritual things!

Now then, WHAT KIND of fruit are we talking about—apples and grapes? Let’s again, compare spiritual things with spiritual. Answer:

"But the FRUIT of the SPIRIT [in God’s spiritual garden, which we are] is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self control" (Gal. 5:22-23).

All of these character traits from God’s Spirit are invisible and they are SPIRITUAL. But does that mean that they are not real? Of course not. In fact, we can SEE the results of these invisible, spiritual character traits of the spirit just as Jesus told us we can see the results of the invisible wind.

WE ARE GOD’S BUILDING

In what "certain ways" are we "like" God’s "building?"

"Know ye not that YE [that’s us] ARE the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells IN YOU" (I Cor. 3:16). "For ye are the temple of the living God…" II Cor. 6:16).

Notice that "ye are the temple of God" is another metaphor. In what certain ways are we like the temple of God? Answer:

"Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief corner stone; in Whom ALL THE BUILDING fitly framed together grows unto AN HOLY TEMPLE in the Lord: In Whom YE [that's us again] ALSO ARE BUILDED TOGETHER for an habitation of God through the Spirit" (Eph. 2:19:23).

The Lord of heaven and earth "dwells not in temples made with hands" (Acts 17:24). Where does God then dwell? Are you ready for this? This is heavy stuff!

"If a man love Me, He will keep My words: and my Father will love him, and WE [both Jesus Christ AND His Father] WILL COME UNTO HIM [this is US if we love God], AND MADE OUR ABODE [our home] WITH HIM" (John 14:23)! WOW!
------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

DuluthGA

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »

Hi Andrew,

Additionally:

John 5: 21   For even as the Father is rousing the dead and vivifying, thus the Son also is vivifying whom He will. [CLNT] (Implied at the first resurrection)

I am comforted and confident that at whichever resurrection I am raised, it will be the right one for me arranged by a perfect, loving Father. 

As for now, I volunteer for judgment now [1Pet 4: 17] and in my daily life try to focus on God's love and coming consummation of ALL with mind-boggling ONENESS.   :) 

In Christian love,
Janice
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:07:49 PM by DuluthGA »

D Student

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

Matthew 26:33 - Peter spoke up, " Even if ALL the others reject you, I NEVER WILL! "

We all know where that went...

This used to worry me a little, because everyone I was close to already has rejected HIM!!!
I read/study, Pray, search, write, re-write, give Thanks/Praise everyday in hopes I won't fall off...

It's hard enough trying to " keep my body under control and make it my slave, so I won't lose out after telling the GOOD NEWS to others."  (1Cor. 9:27-Contemperary Eng.)

As Kat said,
                " Are you ready for this? This is heavy stuff! "

" If God has chosen and pre-ordained you to be one of His Chosen Elect Few, THEN YOU WILL BE ONE OF THEM. Period."   

Sounds GOOD to me.

GA - " As for now, I volunteer for judgment now [1Pet 4: 17] "

D Student

gmik

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »

Tho He slay me, yet will I trust Him!!  Job 13:15

DuluthGA

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:50:12 AM »

Awesome, Gena, yes!

And bearing all of the of above posts in mind, let's not forget:

1Cor 11: 31   For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Phil 2: 12   Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Relevant verses, but He still calls the shots. 

:)

Andrew

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »

Thanks for your responses

I feel better now for not knowing, I thought I was missing something somewhere but yes it makes no sense in knowing if you give it some thought.

Janice makes a valid point:

"I am comforted and confident that at whichever resurrection I am raised, it will be the right one for me arranged by a perfect, loving Father." 

Humbly in Christ our Lord and Saviour

ez2u

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:35:17 AM »

Whether we are called or chosen is not by our success.  Not even if we pray ,fast and study the scriptures continually.  It is the nakedness and being  in the Lord  Isa 57:15  For so says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, and His name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, even with the contrite and humble of spirit; to make live the spirit of the humble and to make live the heart of the contrite ones.
Psa 51:17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise. When you are broken and pour out and nothing else matters but to do the Will of the Father than obedience comes.  When everthing else falls away and you know your life is eternal in the kingdom of God.  Rom 8:28  But we know that to the ones loving God all things work together for good, to those being called according to purpose; This is the beginning  Peggy

ez2u

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:40:49 AM »

one more thing is this in Hebrew
eb 5:1  For every high priest being taken from men is appointed on behalf of men in the things respecting God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins;
Heb 5:2  being able to feel in due measure for those not knowing and being led astray, since he also is circled about with weakness.
Heb 5:3  And because of this he ought to offer for sins as concerning the people, so also concerning himself.
Heb 5:4  And no one takes the honor to himself, but he being called by God, even as Aaron was also.
Heb 5:5  So also the Christ has not glorified Himself to become a high priest, but He speaking to Him, "You are My Son; today I have begotten You." Psa. 2:7
Heb 5:6  As He also says in another place, "You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek," Psa. 110:4
Heb 5:7  who in the days of His flesh was offering both petitions and entreaties to Him being able to save Him from death, with strong crying and tears, and being heard from His godly fear;
Heb 5:8  though being a Son, He learned obedience from what He suffered
Heb 5:9  and having been perfected, He came to be the Author of eternal salvation to all the ones obeying Him,
Heb 5:10  having been called out by God as a High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek.
Heb 5:11  Concerning whom we have much discourse, and hard to interpret, or to speak, since you have come to be dull in the hearings.
Heb 5:12  For indeed because of the time you are due to be teachers, yet you need to have someone to teach you again the rudiments of the beginning of the Words of God, and you came to be having need of milk, and not of solid food;
Heb 5:13  for everyone partaking of milk is without experience in the Word of Righteousness, for he is an infant.
Heb 5:14  But solid food is for those full grown, having exercised the faculties through habit, for distinction of both good and bad.  peggy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.