bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cremation  (Read 6284 times)

dawnnnny

Cremation
« on: August 20, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »

I apologize if this isn't posted in the right section  :)

I was talking with my sister today and she was working on her will and so the discussion led to the question of burial vs cremation.

Is this covered at all by Ray and/or in scripture?  Does it matter?

Thank you for your input!!!

jER

Re: Cremation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:13:47 AM »

Dawn,

There is a thread discussion on page 6, near the bottom, regarding your question.

- jER
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:17:54 AM by jER »

dawnnnny

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:22:18 AM »

Thanks jER 
and I just remembered I can "search" DUH
:)

So unless someone has anything new to add, I'll read the other thread.  Thanks again!

D Student

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:56:41 AM »

Cremation?
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:14:23 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Would cremation be a physical representation of worshipping Moloch?  It is cheaper and I know the Lord will burn all the fleshly and carnal evil out of me one way or another.  Most around here consider it not a good christian witness at death.

I thank God that He does not consider any of His children worthless, vile or lacking understanding (raca and fool) so as to be tortured forever and ever without end or purpose.  I think He wishes us to see people with the same compassionate eyes. There by the grace of God go I....... His Word will not return unto Him void, it is as good as already accomplished. He sees the end result of all creation and says it is good.  We however, see through a glass darkly and can only have our faith increased as He reveals.  I thank God for having you to be bold enough to reach out through whatever means and teach. It is very comforting.

Barbara

Dear Barbara:
    No, cremation is not a sin. Many godly martyrs were burned at the stake.
    God be with you,
    Ray

D Student

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:34:17 AM »

- ACTUALY -

Not that I disagree with what Ray said, but isn't being burned by others and REQUESTING to be cremated
a big difference?

It seems kind of selfish... And don't the bodies that were given to us belong to our FATHER
rather than belonging to us???

1Corinthians 6:15 - " Don't you know that your Bodies are part of the body of Christ? "

Now that i think about it, why does someone want to be Cremated?

Cheaper on the Family? Don't want to rot? In fear of Grave Robbers? or like my Mother,
in fear that WORMS will feast on the Flesh??? ;D

D Student

Jackie Lee

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »

My husband enjoys watching Pat Robinison... a few weeks someone wrote him a question about cremation?
He didn't have no scriptures, but considered it disrespectful of the dead.
I requested cremation in case I died before my husband, but I really am not so sure this is what I would want.
I have been reconsidering it.

dawnnnny

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »

D Student:  Now that i think about it, why does someone want to be Cremated?

Cheaper on the Family? Don't want to rot? In fear of Grave Robbers? or like my Mother,
                 in fear that WORMS will feast on the Flesh??? Grin

For me, it would be all of the above, except maybe grave robbers, not sure why they would want my remains.. ewwww  LOL
I know its silly, not like I'm in the body anymore, but its always been something I thought about in light of what God says.  I'm curious why you think it is selfish?

Thanks D!

D Student

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »

Dawn-  " I'm curious why you think it is selfish? "

Well, OUR CREATOR put us here on Earth and I believe HE, should do with HIS CREATION as HE pleases.

Does he give us right to destroy our body as we are living???

So what would be the difference when we are no longer living??? We would be planning on the destruction of our body ahead of time, by others. Unless our FATHER gives you the ok after Praying for this preference, I could only see it as, that YOU, your SELF, made this decision...

Dawn-  " not sure why they would want my remains "

I've seen on a documentary and several times on the News, where people raise the coffins and remove
fancy clothing, jewlry, etc or at times will re-sale/re-use the coffin... Believe it or not, it's done all around the world.

Even more reason to be Burned up though huh???  ;D

One thing that I hope, is that who ever puts me in the coffin doesn't suck out my organs
and fill me with (emboming?) fluid first. Another method MANY Americans still don't know about.
Why else could they make sure that the MAN/WOMAN looks better than ever and smelling like roses?
The funeral is an AMAZING and HOLY tradition--Or is it??? When you bury someone, does it matter how they look, smell, what they're wearing, or what they'll take with them??? To many people, it does.

A Follower asked Jesus to wait for him, untill after his Father is Burried, and Jesus tells him something,,,
What was it??? I think it means something pretty important...

D Student
P.s. I hope this doesn't lead to a
             Family Fued.

gmik

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:21 AM »

My mother wants to be cremated and as my sister & I just put her in a nursing home, I had to agree and sign.  So I did.  Its what she wanted.

In Varanasi, India , right on the Ganges, cremation takes place 24/7.  If a person was taller than the pyre, the feet would just eventually fall off and a lower-caste person would have to catch them.(Possibly one of the world's worst jobs). My son visited there last year.  For miles he thought there was a chicken BBQ going on!! (Sorry, if that is disrespectful.)

I havent thought about it that much.  I guess I would like to know the cultures that started it, and what Israels traditions were.  American funerals have gotten way out of line.$$

YellowStone

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

I will weigh in on this just for the fun of it :)

There are those who like to enclose God and house him in a box called a church. It seems pretty much the same trying to enclose his creation in a box called a coffin.

We were brought out of the ground and to the ground we will return. I do not want to be remembered by where I lay, or by the fancy headstone that may grace my gravesite, rather I want to be remembered for who I was and what I accomplished during my Earthly walk with God. I therefore want my ashes to be let loose on a mountain top over looking a lush green valley complete with a stream and all.

I do not consider this selfish, nor do I see it as a cost saving exercise; rather I see it and believe it to be giving back to God what is already his. I came into this world with nothing and I want nothing left behind when I leave.

This is just the way I see it and I mean no offense to anyone.

Love in Christ the Lamb,
Darren

Harryfeat

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »

Hey All,

I once thought that there couldn't be any topic more fraught with argument than the topic of religion but I was wrong, at least about my family.

I never felt like getting embalmed like an Egyptian pharaoh was my cup of tea.  It also seems that the Israelites may have taken many of their burial customs from their time in Egypt as well.  It is kind of funny but these pagan embalming burial customs and open casket viewing  of our western culture seem far more barbaric to me than just plain cremation or natural burial without formaldehyde. ;)

My wishes are to have all organs harvested and the remainder cremated.  After discussing this with family, I was threatened with getting my wish sooner than I expected :o ;D

Someone here previously mentioned selfishness, well I was accused of selfishness because I don't want my remains to lay next to my wife.  I told them they could spread my ashes there but it is not the same to them.

The thing that really surprised me was comments about donating organs and won't that be a problem later. It seems that there might be some confusion about Christ's resurrection and the type of body he had before he ascended to the Father.  If Jesus didn't need His body then why was it missing from the tomb?  You can't desecrate your body like that.  etc., etc.

I have been fighting both sides of my family on this.  My wife says she will do as I wish but disagrees with me.  We decided to put my wishes in my will so she doesn't have to fight with her or my family when the time comes.    It seems like a morbid topic but it has also been a source of many chuckles for me at times just thinking about the absurdity of some of the thinking.

Thanks for your post Darren, I am glad I am not alone. 

be blessed
feat

Kat

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »

Hi Darren and feat,

I'm with you on this thing. 
when I'm dead and my spirit is gone from this world, nothing that remains is of any value whatsoever and I don't like the thought of my corpse lying around somewhere.  To speed the process and have it return to dust immediately is my desire. 
What seems morbid to me is the way people attend the grave site of a dead person.  I think they may actually believe that their loved one is up in heaven observing how they are taking care of it  ::)  Anyway that's just my opinion, I just don't like the idea of that. 
Scather my ashs to the wind and be done with it, is what I want.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

D Student

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »

Hello YellowStone,

YOU wrote,

" I do not want to be remembered by where I lay "
   _           ____

" I want to be remembered for who I was " 
       ______

" I therefore want my ashes to be let loose on a mountain top over looking a lush green valley. "
   _              _____

Hummm, what does GOD want???   I know what YOU want.
 Why, over looking a lush green valley? If it was dumped in a ditch, would it be less meaningfull???

No disrespect, just questions...

Still wondering...  Does he give us right to destroy our body as we are living???

So what would be the difference when we are no longer living???

A Follower asked Jesus to wait for him, untill after his Father is Burried, and Jesus tells him something,,,
What was it that he said???

Is it mentioned anywhere in the Scriptures where Followers/Believers CHOSE to be burned after death???

I respect all comments being made, but could anybody answer any one of these questions?

If someone can show me where SPEEDING up the process is mentioned in the WORD of GOD, I'll buy it...

Thank you ALL...                                                                        D Student

P.s.  I'm not fighting to prove that casskets/coffins/funerals are important or neccesary. If possible, I would hope they could dig a hole in my Backyard and throw me
       in naked, with no ceramony, just as I was brought into this World...
      Plus I'm marked as an Organ Donar...

GODSown1

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »

hmm...
        All I hav 2 say is "GOD is in CONTROL", Peace 2 U all
        muchLOVE!! Pera

YellowStone

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:48:15 PM »

Good Questions D,

But do you really think God cares what happens to our lifeless bodies once his Spirit (breath) has returned to him who gave it?

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

I do not believe for a second that God needs to worry about where I am buried or where my ashes fall during the resurrection.

You ask, why the mountains? And my answer to you is why not? :)  

But really, will I know or even care if my ashes get flushed down the sewer.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.  

Like I said, I do not want to offend anyone.

Love to you in Christ,
Darren

D Student

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »

" But do you really think God cares what happens to our lifeless bodies once his Spirit (breath) has returned to him who gave it? "

I try not to THINK about things that deal with the WORD anymore. If I could see any Scriptures that have anything to do with us, having more right to our bodies than OUR FATHER does, my question has been answerd...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:05:52 PM by D Student »

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 10:28:17 PM »

O.K let's move on, agree to disagree.  What's going to happen if you get cremated?  You go to hell? ;)  There is a lot the scriptures are quiet about and to argue them is fruitless.  The scriptures are quiet on putting our lives in danger by getting in a car, does that mean we don't drive.

Do what you are led to do, and let's get back to more fruitful discussions.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.