bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The mind of a child.  (Read 5906 times)

bambam

The mind of a child.
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:46:06 AM »

My kids and I watched a neat movie tonight.  It's called "Bridge to Terabithia".  In the movie the girl asks to come to church with the boy.  On their way home, they, along with the boy's little sister are sitting in the back of a pickup truck driving down a dusty tree-lined road.  They were discussing something about the Bible and the little girl says to her big brother.

"If you don't believe what the Bible says then God will damn you to hell.  Isn't that what it says in the Bible, Jess?"

To which the friend, who does not attend church,  replies with outstretched arms reaching towards the trees and the sky, "Where would God find the time to damn people to hell when he has to run all this?"

It just made me chuckle-it was cute. :D   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:47:42 AM by bambam »

DuluthGA

Re: The mind of a child.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:55:11 AM »

Great!   What a surprise coming from moviedom!! 

HO!  We'll take it... one for our side.   :D

:-*

ciy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »

I am amazed at how the plan of God is seen in probably all movies or stories.  I watched a very secular movie the other night that had foul language and nudity, but the plan of God was all through it.  I see that all the time now.  Of course, "Lord of the Rings" is full of biblical truths. 

The movie that always gets me is the final scene in "It's a Wonderful Life".  When Jimmy Stewart learns the truth then he counts everything joy from being arrested to being broke.  All of a sudden no bad thing in the physical is a burden anymore and he is just full of love to the point that he cannot keep from kissing his wife and kids over and over.  Very powerful.  That is the way we will act when we really know the truth from the inside out and not just trying to live like Jesus.
CIY

LittleBear

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »

Hi Bambam,

I just saw that movie too and yes, that part filled me with joy. Many times you get great truth and illustrations from movies.

CIY, that happens to me a lot. I recently saw the new Bourne movie. I loved it! There was one part where Jason Bourne goes searching for the girl who is in trouble and about to be overcome by the bad guy. Jason searches and searches and is singleminded in finding her, and finally does. There is a big fight scene, lots of crashing and smashing, and Jason after much effort, kills the bad guy. I was so blessed by that part. I felt God showing me that the way Jason searched and fought for her is the same way He fights for me. And He is going to win!

Ursula

bambam

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »

I knew I wasn't quoting the movie exactly right.  What she actually said was, "I seriously don't think God goes around damning people to hell, when He's got all this to run."

That's even better!  ;)

skydreamers

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:11:09 PM »

Hi Beth, yes I've seen that movie too and I felt a leap of joy when she said that.  That little girl had great joy in the simplest of things.  The other part that really hit home with me too was when the little boy was crying over her death in his dad's arms, terrified that he was going to hell because he had made a selfish choice in not inviting his friend to the museum.  This is what many children across the world go through in their minds as they sit in churches being told they will go to hell if they are not good.  I cried a lot on that one :'(!

Peace,
Diana

ciy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »

Ursula,

Another I saw the other night was "The 25th Hour".  It is probably not worth watching, but I do enjoy Ed Norton and he stars in it.  Anyway it is about the last 24 hours of a man's freedom who has been found guilty of dealing drugs and he is going to prison.  He is free to celebrate with his friends and family and what comes out is that everyone is guilty of something from his school teacher friend, his stock broker buddy, his pub owner father, his girlfriend, the police, etc but he is the only one going to prison.  Kind of like the elect being judged now and the others later.

CIY

LittleBear

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »

Hmmm CIY, I'm going to have to  check it out. Thanks :)

jacieleigh

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »

I read the book and then saw the movie called "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". It was a wonderful story about a man who has lived his life as nothing more than ordinary. He was an amusement park maintenance man and died saving alittle girl. The whole jist of the story was the lives he touched even though he thought his life had been nothing special. It was a work of fiction and I don't bring it up to say it was even spiritually correct but as an encouragement. It is a good reminder that our lives do matter and we can make a difference. God can take the smallest thing and make a big impact. I read this while Daddy was sick. It made me think of him. The movie was very good for any movie lover who wants to see a good one. It has been a while but I don't think there was horrible language or anything like that. I talk about Daddy too much I guess!?

gmik

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:32:57 PM »

I caught that too in "Bridge to Terebithia".  The book is wonderful too.  I have to admit tho when I watched all 3 Bourne movies I never caught on to anything Biblical! :D

Read the "Great Divorce" by CS Lewis.  Really cool!!

Do we people (us) draw a line anywhere w/ what we watch? Just wondering?? (obviously I am not talking XXX ratings but you know mainline, hollywood movies)

ciy

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 12:21:41 AM »

Ursula
That movie is a little rough, I just was watching it and could not stop because I could see the thread running through it.  I do not recommend.

Gena,
Yeah we should draw lines, but at the same time look for the plan of God in any movie or for that matter situation.  I probably watch some movies that are a little over the top.

CIY

dawnnnny

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:17 AM »

"If you had the chance, just one chance, to go back and fix what you did wrong in life, would you take it? And if you did, would you be big enough to stand it? Mitch Albom, in this new book, once again demonstrates why he is one of my favorite writers: a fearless explorer of the wishful and magical, he is also a devout believer in the power of love. For One More Day will make you smile. It will make you wistful. It will make you blink back tears of nostalgia. But most of all, it will make you believe in the eternal power of a mother's love."

That was a quick description of FOR ONE MORE DAY by Mitch Albom who also wrote Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays With Morrie.  I read Five People and found it ok.  I haven't read Tuesdays With Morrie yet (but plan to).....BUT  For One More Day has to be one of the best books I've read.  His writing is excellent, the type of writer who puts something down in words and you can't help but contemplate a simple sentence pregnant with meaning.  This was a story of a man who felt his life was over and wanted to end it and how he ends up "back home" after driving off the road.  Its a small book, could be read in a couple days (even a few hours).  If you're a mother or a son, I highly suggest reading it.

Gena, I wonder at times too on movies we watch.  I love a good action movie but most have too much profanity, etc.  Its tough because the more family oriented ones are good, but not quite as exciting  :)   

bambam

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 02:43:37 AM »

I do think we need to draw lines.  And we all will eventually, right?  ;) 

Blessings,
Beth

Firefly

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 01:30:59 AM »

Our family watched "Bridge to Terabithia" also  and I loved that part. I think a good portion of the "world" has a better handle on God's plan for mankind than Christendom does!

Lori

ez2u

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:26:19 AM »

All the violence and sex on television and  the movies.  Its gettting hard to watch either.  I don't know how everyone else feels but I can't hardly stand to see all that violence and fornication  its terrible so the off button works real well for us.  peggy

DuluthGA

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 05:02:26 AM »

Hear ya big time Peggy. 

;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 17 queries.