bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: for it is God in you  (Read 5564 times)

javajoe

for it is God in you
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:10:58 PM »

Happy Lord's day, everyone,

Just thought I'd share what I learned in church this morning.

The teaching was about following Jesus, and one of the main theme verses was Philippians 2:13-

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose".

The guest teacher explained God working in us as "urges" to do his will, to follow Christ.  These urges are imparted by the Holy Spirit of God, God is always the initiator, and always for a "good purpose",

Notice also "it is to will and to act", God gives us the will to act--the will to act doesn't come from ourselves.  Probably one of the clearest teachings against the mythical free will in Scripture, as far as I am concerned.

He also use this verse in Matthew 16:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

He explained that to "deny oneself", does not mean an aesthetic lifestyle like Gandhi lived, but to GIVE UP OUR SINS.  After all, it is our sins that are keeping us from following Jesus.  People often would rather crawl on their knees on glass rather than give up their sin, and crawling on glass is unprofitable (except for the hospital emergency room staff!). If your will isn't being controlled by the Holy Spirit, than it is being controlled by your own fleshly desires.  Make sense?

We are definitely NOT a free will church.  Praise GOD!

Ciao

Redbird

Re: for it is God in you
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:54:22 PM »

Dear Ciao,

Welcome to the forum.  Happy Lord's day to you too!  And doesn't everyday belong to the Lord?  :)

Col 1:16  For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers:  all things were created by him, and for him:  And he is before all things, and by him all things consist:  And he is the head of the church:  who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Peace to you ~ Lisa

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »

He also use this verse in Matthew 16:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

He explained that to "deny oneself", does not mean an aesthetic lifestyle like Gandhi lived, but to GIVE UP OUR SINS.  After all, it is our sins that are keeping us from following Jesus.  People often would rather crawl on their knees on glass rather than give up their sin, and crawling on glass is unprofitable (except for the hospital emergency room staff!). If your will isn't being controlled by the Holy Spirit, than it is being controlled by your own fleshly desires.  Make sense?

Hi Ciao, I have been giving this same topic an awful lot of thought and consideration of late. Now certainly I am no scholar, but I think God has helped me understand the truth behind the verse you used in Mathew.

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Christ said that one must deny themselves in order to become true followers of him. Yet, I do not believe that Christ was talking solely about money, late nights, trendy clothes, fast cars, loud music, tobacco, etc; because he did not say to give up any of these. He said, give up or deny onself.

What is it that man holds closest to himself? I think it is his understanding, his knowledge and his ability to trust in himself to make the correct decisions. Man does not need God, God gave man a brain and the ability to think and reason, right? Oh, yes He did, but man is told to gve it up and never trust it. :)

Pro 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Actually, we are told that we must do two important things in the verse:

1. Trust in God with all of ones heart
  2. Never trust or lean on ones understanding

It is my understanding that Christ was metaphorically speaking of letting go of everything that one has learned, discerned and understands and instead, turn ones trust 100% on God. Trusting in Him in everything. I believe the wonderful words of David so encapsulates this in his 23rd Psalm.

Psa 23:1   A psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

Psa 23:2   He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

Psa 23:3   he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psa 23:4   Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
              for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psa 23:5   You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head
               with oil; my cup overflows.

Psa 23:6   Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
               and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Well these are my thoughts :)

Thanks so much for sharing yours.

Love in Christ the Lamb,
Darren

Jackie Lee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:05:01 AM »

Hi Ciao even before I knew we didn't have freewill, the name freewill Baptist would make me cringe.
It seemed so much like saying do as you please.
God must have been preparing me way back then.

javajoe

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:30:44 AM »

Darren,

Thanks for all the thoughts.  I guess to deny oneself can mean many things, but I guess the big key word here is SELF, that could mean our own understanding, as you said, our selfish desires that leads to sin, our own knowledge, anything that focuses on us, not Christ.

By the way when I signed off "ciao" I was simply saying goodbye in Italian!  It could also mean hello.  I am Joe (Giuseppe in Italian),  I am not Italian, I just like the language.

ciao (goodbye),

Joe

P.S.  I love this forum!!

dawnnnny

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »

Psa 23:2   He makes
               He leads

Psa 23:3   He restores
               He guides

Psa 23:4   His rod and His staff

Psa 23:5   He prepares
               He anoints

I guess I'm in a "pronoun" mood today because as I was reading the Scriptures Darren provided, THAT's what my spirit focused on.

When we begin to "see" that it is ALL HIM - we will see Him in everything    :)

gmik

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »

Hi Joe.  Ciao is one of my favorite restaurants in Toledo, so I knew what ya meant!! :D

HE does it all, everything.  What does the beast think in us???  I can do it all.  Pride is what that is. We can do nothing of ourselves.  We need HIM for everything as a child. HE is the potter, we are just the clay.

Good thoughts.

javajoe

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »

He leads

He guides

He anoints

guess I'm in a "pronoun" mood today because as I was reading the Scriptures Darren provided, THAT's what my spirit focused on.

A BIG AMEN!  Kinda takes the burden off, doesn't it?

skydreamers

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »

He leads

He guides

He anoints

I guess I'm in a "pronoun" mood today because as I was reading the Scriptures Darren provided, THAT's what my spirit focused on.

Beautiful observation Dawn! 

Hey Darren, I really appreciate what you said here:

What is it that man holds closest to himself? I think it is his understanding, his knowledge and his ability to trust in himself to make the correct decisions. Man does not need God, God gave man a brain and the ability to think and reason, right? Oh, yes He did, but man is told to gve it up and never trust it. Smiley

Pro 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Actually, we are told that we must do two important things in the verse:

1. Trust in God with all of ones heart
  2. Never trust or lean on ones understanding

It is my understanding that Christ was metaphorically speaking of letting go of everything that one has learned, discerned and understands and instead, turn ones trust 100% on God.

This is so true, but also probably the hardest thing for us to do!  I seem to be always caught up in trying to discern what is "my own understanding" and what is a revelation from God.  But I do trust that He is faithful to reveal all knowledge and understanding in due time and this brings me peace.

Psalms 125:1 (Amp)
Those who trust in, lean on, and confidently hope in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides and stands fast forever.

Peace,
Diana

ez2u

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 03:04:43 AM »

wow  this really hit home for me.  I was thinking about why people  mostly think they have to do something in order to be right in God.  It is guilt  guilt is not of the Lord conviction is but guilt is of the flesh.  It keeps the carnal man on the throne.  There is a lot of big changes going on in my personal life right now,  I am sick, and tired and it feels like a free falling experience but it is causing me to stand still and trust the Lord.  I can't see what is a head and I am scared,  its alright , being scared, is just my flesh.  Today when i check in Jesus is still King.  This flesh, thank God He is doing the work   Peggy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.