bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strong's Concordance  (Read 5175 times)

dawnnnny

Strong's Concordance
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:53:20 AM »

I know and have read about many Bible versions that have erroneous translations. 

What about Strong's Concordance?  I ask because I noticed this tonight for one explanation of "hell":

geenna
gheh'-en-nah
Of Hebrew origin ([H1516] and [H2011]); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

So it seems that Strong's even endorses this everlasting punishment view.  Is Strong's somewhat reliable?  Are there others that anyone uses that are good or better?   

Thanks!
Dawn 

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Strong's Concordance
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »

Hi Dawn,

Many times Strong contradicts himself. I haven't done so, but look up the other references he gives and you'll find other meanings. They can't all be true at the same time.

Dennis

I know and have read about many Bible versions that have erroneous translations. 

What about Strong's Concordance?  I ask because I noticed this tonight for one explanation of "hell":

geenna
gheh'-en-nah
Of Hebrew origin ([H1516] and [H2011]); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

So it seems that Strong's even endorses this everlasting punishment view.  Is Strong's somewhat reliable?  Are there others that anyone uses that are good or better?   

Thanks!
Dawn 

Nelson

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »

Hi Folks,

Dr Strong would be at the mercy of the same doctrines that have affected many Bible translators.

Usually, the first meaning is closest in Strong's, though not every time.

Try the following too, Wigram's Concordance of the OT & NT, Greek Elements by AE Knock. There is an excellent Greek concordance at the back of the Concordant Literal NT.

Hope this helps.

Love, grace and peace to you all.

Nelson 

dawnnnny

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »

Thanks Dennis and Nelson!
I'll try the concordance in my CLNT
I guess I shouldn't have assumed that something that is supposed to just explain a word would be subjective and "add" to it.  Silly me.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.