bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I contend that we are both....  (Read 7564 times)

lilitalienboi16

I contend that we are both....
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:25:35 AM »

“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” (Stephen F. Roberts)

While reading this, i had a thought and it went like this;

"I contend that we are both diests, I just believe in a different God than you do. When you understand that you believe in the god of randomness and chance, you will understand why i believe in the God of love and mercy."

Does anyone agree with what i was thinking?

I just thought i would share this with you all.

God bless,

Alex

skydreamers

Re: I contend that we are both....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:31:07 AM »

Very cool Alex!

Peace,
Diana

DuluthGA

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:36:22 AM »

Close but no cookie Alex.  Needs work.... ummm...

I contend that we are both diests, I just believe in a different God than you do.  While you believe in a God of randomness and chance and you don't completely understand my belief in a God of ultimate love and mercy, however..... ONE DAY YOU WILL:D

Not that great, but I took a shot at it.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:42:50 AM by DuluthGA »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:41:20 AM »

Close but no cookie Alex.  Needs work.... ummm...

I contend that we are both diests, I just believe in a different God than you do.  While you believe in a God of randomness and chance and you don't completely understand my believe in a God of ultimate love and mercy, however..... ONE DAY YOU WILL:D

Not that great, but I took a shot at it.

Haha, well it was a great shot! I do think there are many ways to spin this, but that is simply what came to my mind.

They put great emphasis on random mutation and chance, they speak of this evolution as if it were a living intentity that i just could not resist. A god of randomness and chance is what they truly believe in, thank the Almighty of heaven and earth that He has brought us into the marvelous light of His only begotten Son!

The reason i used the words i did was because i did want it to flow the same way as the athiest had put it. =]

Thank you though, and thank you diana for your kind words.

God bless you both and all =]

Alex

Falconn003

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:15 AM »

Still have yet to ever meet a true grammical atheist.

I contend we are both partakers in concepts originated from God,( love, mercy, caring, hope...ect.) You Stephen F. Roberts just believe in yourself for your own good fortune. When you understand all the other concepts originated from God you deny, you will understand why your tolerated.” (fred flintstone)

As one old freind posted on here " there are no atheist in foxholes "  

"Why are there even funerals for atheist " george carlan

Addemdum

people who believe in evolution can not explain why we stopped evolvng.

If we evolved from apes WHY ??? are there still apes !!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:53:24 AM by Falconn003 »

skydreamers

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 04:14:58 AM »

people who believe in evolution can not explain why we stopped evolvng.

If we evolved from apes WHY Huh are there still apes !!

No kidding Rodger!  That's funny ;D

Peace,
Diana

LittleBear

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »

I contend that we are both diests, I just believe in a different God than you do. You believe in a God of randomness and chance and self, and you don't completely understand my belief in a God of ultimate love and mercy. However, when your fortune fails, and your body deteriorates, and pain racks your body and death is staring you in the face, you will consider my God.....and if you still don't believe..... ONE DAY YOU WILL.

Ursula 

DuluthGA

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »

AHHHH.... 10 points Ursula!  I like it!  :D

Good ones Rodger!  :D

:D

dawnnnny

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:58:21 PM »

Hi everyone,

So I kept reading these posts (good quote Alex!) and the word deist/deism got me curious (I'm kind of a "word" buff), so I looked it up in Webster's and found something I didn't know:

Deism is the belief that the universe was created by a God who then made no further intervention in its affairs, often expressed by the metaphor of the "Divine Watchmaker" who created a mechanism so perfect as to be self-regulating. Deists do not believe in miracles or revelations. Because of their rejection of revelation, they attempt to infer their theology entirely from philosophical arguments.

Deism was popular among thinkers of the Enlightenment such as Voltaire and the Founding Fathers of the United States, but serious advocacy of deism is unusual among more recent theologians.

Thomas Jefferson is perhaps the most well known and outspoken of the American founding deists. See Jefferson on Deism for some quotes. Thomas Paine was also a deist, The Age of Reason being one publication which particularly expressed this view. Benjamin Franklin seems also to have shared components of this view.

-----

So I'm thinking maybe the word deist needs to be changed if anything!  Anyway, I thought this was interesting and wanted to pass it on!

Blessings to all :)

Falconn003

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »

thank  you Janice

And very intresting Dawn.   good points.........

Rodger

DuluthGA

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:19:29 AM »

Thank you Dawn, you 'word aficionado'.....    :D

now I know why I never considered nor called myself a deist.  Ha!

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 02:00:43 AM »

i contend that you are a blessed child of God and He has a special place and purpose for you alex.  it is great to hear Him through your words.  and like janice/duluth said, one day the atheists too will believe in the ONLY God.  maybe you could be used to express His truths through some rad songwriting one day (soon).

cheers to ya bra,
claudia

p.s.  yes bra and not bro like they say in hawaii-o

insanezenmistress

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »

“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” (Stephen F. Roberts)

well met, mister stephen, my rebuttal.....

I contend that we are both , His creation. I merely also believe he is personal, and you belive he is impersonal, tantamount to non-existant . 
  When you understand that not matter what we think, we are still in this state of being that we call life. I prefere it to be God's creation, and myself His child. You prefere to raise yourself.
  I am sure you can see why i disreguard what you think.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

i contend that you are a blessed child of God and He has a special place and purpose for you alex.  it is great to hear Him through your words.  and like janice/duluth said, one day the atheists too will believe in the ONLY God.  maybe you could be used to express His truths through some rad songwriting one day (soon).

cheers to ya bra,
claudia

p.s.  yes bra and not bro like they say in hawaii-o

Why thank you claudia, you are very kind.

Nicely put ursala =]

And offcourse Dawn, great post. Thank you for that edification, offcourse what i ment by diests was haveing faith in a god.

But alas, i must be precise, i wonder if there is a word that just means 'haveing faith in a god.' That would perhaps be the word to use for a more accurate statement.

Well thank you all for your imputs, they are all great!

God bless,

Alex

gmik

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »

OOHHH  Zen, I like that!! Very well put!

DuluthGA

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 05:16:11 AM »

Yes Alex, I believe the vernacular is that 'deist' does stand for one who believes in God, to keep it simple.

josh

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »

I would be careful using the label of "Deist".

Here are a few excerpts from dictionary.com

----------------------------------------------------
deist

adjective
1.    of or relating to deism

noun
1.    a person who believes that God created the universe and then abandoned it

de·ism       
n.   The belief, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

God's Peace.
Josh

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:22:45 PM by In Medias Res »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.