bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: meaning of lost?  (Read 17166 times)

javajoe

meaning of lost?
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »

Hi everyone,

This may be a silly question, but in light of the truth that God is reconciling all of humanity to himself, and we are all saved, what does being "lost"  mean in the first place?  The old definition I heard most of my life was eternal punishment.  It can't mean aeonian punishment, since we are all saved from being lost, the only thing I can think of is death, "for the wages of sin is death", So does it mean, if Christ hadn't paid the penalty for death, would we all have just rotted in the grave forever, never to be resurrected?  Maybe it is in Ray's teaching and I just overlooked it.   Somebody help me!!

JavaJoe

hillsbororiver

Re: meaning of lost?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »

Hi Javajoe,

Yes, all would be over and we would have no hope once we hit the grave unless Jesus was resurrected. We all have been "lost" every man or woman who ever drew a breath, lost in bondage to sin and eventual death, we will all be "found" and saved in the time appointed by God.
(We are all the Prodigal son, we are also all the "one lost sheep" spoken of in the parable in Matthew 18.)

1Cor 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1Cor 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

1Cor15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

1Cor 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

1Cor 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

1Pe 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Ray addresses this here in LOF Part 4;

DESTROYED, PERISHED, AND LOST

DESTROYED: Is being destroyed a condition from which there is not salvation? Jesus said,

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to DESTROY both soul and body in hell [the Greek is "gehenna" NOT hell. It is ‘gehenna fire,’ Mat. 5:22, not ‘hell fire’]" (Matt. 10:28).

Is there no salvation from this "destruction" in gehenna fire? Notice that they are not "eternally lost" in gehenna fire, but they are "DESTROYED" in gehenna fire. Their condition is that of being DESTROYED. This is not a hopeless condition or even our own Lord would have been put into a hopeless condition.

"Jesus answered and said unto them, DESTROY this temple, and in three days I will raise it up ... but He spake of the temple of His BODY" (John 2:19 & 21).

Later they did destroy Jesus Christ and sure enough three days later God SAVED Jesus from that destruction.

Notice what Job said with relation to being "destroyed":

"Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet Thou dost DESTROY me" (Job 10:8).

Yet Job knew that God would yet save him. In Jeremiah 18 God tells Jeremiah to go down to the Potter’s house and observe him work. Jeremiah sees the potter destroy a marred work in his hand and refashion it into something useful. This we learn is an analogy of how God would "destroy" Judah (Ver. 7), and yet save him in the end. God will refashion all of marred (destroyed) mankind into glorious sons of God!

PERISHED: Can a person perish and still be saved? Of course. Even "righteous" men can perish,

"All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a JUST MAN that PERISHES in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongs his life in his wickedness" (Ecc. 7:15).

One more,

"The RIGHTEOUS PERISHES, and no man lays it to heart..." (Isa. 57:1).

Perishing is not something that can cut off God’s arm of salvation.

LOST: Can a person sin, be lost, die, and then be saved? Certainly. Let’s look at one of those parables of Jesus that Christendom thinks are easy to understand little stories, when in fact they don’t even begin to understand. You all know the story contained in the parable of the Prodigal son so I won’t read it all, but let me give you the "truth" of this parable.

God is the "Father" in this parable, and the Prodigal is EVERY SON WHO HAS GONE ASTRAY.

"And when he had spent all ... And when he came to himself ... I will arise and go to my father ... I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight ... And am no more worthy to be called thy son ... But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring hither the fatted calf ... For this my son was DEAD, and is alive again; he was LOST, and is found. And they began to be merry" (Luke 15:14-23).

This man SINNED, he was LOST, and he SPIRITUALLY DIED! Do we ALL spiritually DIE? "AND AS IT IS APPOINTED UNTO MEN ONCE TO DIE..." But isn’t this speaking of the PHYSICAL death of our bodies? No it is not. The second part of the verse gives us the answer as to which death this is,

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but AFTER this the JUDGMENT" (Heb. 9:27).

Notice that "judgment" comes after this death, and not before. We already learned that JUDGMENT is upon the house of God NOW! Each individual Christian in every generation is judged NOW, in THIS life, BEFORE he physically dies! And so the "death" that all men must partake of before judgment is SPIRITUAL DEATH. Notice:

"And I saw THE DEAD, small and great, STAND before God" (Rev. 20:12).

How pray tell can the physically dead, stand, if they are dead?

So here then is the order of things. The Prodigal Son SINNED, he was LOST, he spiritually DIED, and then? And then he was JUDGED! Where and when was he judged? In the hog pens of a far alien country, that’s where. God had to bring him out of this alien county (Mystery Babylon the Great) with all its "riotous living" (Luke 15:13). And so it was that God JUDGED this Prodigal with the beasts and swine of Babylon until he "came to himself." (Ver. 17). Seems to me that God sent King Nebuchadnezzer into the fields with the beasts to live like a beast, so that he too "came to himself." God has not warned in vain to

"Come out of her [MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH] my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" (Rev. 17:5 & 18:4).

Him that has an ear, let him hear.

And so this Prodigal SINNED, was LOST, and spiritually DIED. Surely he is outside of the realm of salvation now. No, he is in the perfect realm FOR SALVATION. How many millions of times this parable of the Prodigal Son has been read, but how many times has its truth ever been understood and perceived? This prodigal was, according to his father, "DEAD." And it was after his father said that he was "dead" that he welcomed him back, forgave him, exalted him, and rewarded him! Now who says one can’t be saved after death. It is after death that most of humanity will be saved.

May God finally grant you to SEE SOMETHING SPIRITUAL! Parables are NOT literal, that’s why they are called "parables" instead of "history." This parable pictures the carnal mind going the way of the flesh. What are the wages of living a riotous life in the alien land of lustful Babylon? Is it "life and joy in the holy spirit?" I speak as fool. Here is the wages of riotous and carnal living in the hog pens of Babylon: "For the wages of sin is DEATH..." (Rom. 6:23). SPIRITUAL DEATH! What must happen AFTER we spiritually DIE? "JUDGMENT!" The spiritual DEAD must be JUDGED. Does judging CORRECT the spiritually dead sinners? Yes it does. That is what the parable of the Prodigal Son is all about. God’s "ways and means" ALWAYS WORK!

"...For when Thy [God’s] JUDGMENTS are in the earth, the INHABITANTS OF THE WORLD WILL LEARN RIGHTEOUSNESS" (Isa. 26:9)!

Read it all here;

http://bible-truths.com/lake4.html

Hope this helps!

Joe

insanezenmistress

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »

Hi everyone,

This may be a silly question, but in light of the truth that God is reconciling all of humanity to himself, and we are all saved, what does being "lost"  mean in the first place? 

JavaJoe

In light of the eventaul reconciliation of all things toward God,lost would be not knowing you are part of that reconciliation. Our sin, our attachment to sinning, will lead to death and dieing, for our ignorance and willfullness will provoke the Lord's ...erm, holy impaitence......Therefore God sent Jesus, Himself, to us, to live with us and to carry our attonment for our sin, even while we are yet commiting them.

lets suppose God had not sent Christ.

Would we be rotting in grave? I think our version of Hell would be, that God will make mroe strict and more firm the Laws, and we would be held accountable to every sin. The Ressurection would still have been HAD! We would eventaully come to stand before the Light of Truth. But with out god's stooping down to our level, and taking our death for us, and our willignness to acknowledge that we where incapible of pleaseing the Lord, Our judgement would be death, and death , and great suffering for each broken rule of GOD.

Some will chose that. They will trust in their own understanding. These who dont need grace and mercy will be judged according to the method they ahve judged in life. These people better hope they got SOME THINGS spot on, or they will crumble under their own measure.

IN light of reconciliation, thank God he no longer has to keep killing us in horrible ways, he can jsut lake of fire us for a good long while, untill we learn our lesson.......visious god!.........HE is not visious, WE ARE. HE is infinate mercy, even while spanking the "hell" out of us. It is according to our understanding, therefore he teaches us to seek according to His understanding.

Lost would be no seeking of truth, lost would be absent from recovery.
         In which case the Shepherd will dilligently search for them, and break them if nessacary, that they would learn to heed his Voice. And come to know Truth. AS hes has saught them, and fed them, while they where lost and while he goes to find them and bring them back.

IZM

jacieleigh

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »

This doesn't really answer the questions right but I think we are all lost from time to time. With the tragedy of this week, I feel quite lost right now. Not lost from God but lost from understanding this life we live.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »

Mat 18:11  For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.622

G622
ἀπόλλυμι
apollumi
ap-ol'-loo-mee
From G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively: - destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

I guess the short answer is Jesus came to save those who otherwise would always remain perished and destroyed and give them a new perfect life.

This present life in the flesh is not to be held on to, it is imperfect, corruptible and brief, even in the best case scenario. We are admonished to aspire to life in Christ, in His Spirit, which will be perfect, incorruptible and immortal (after the resurrection).

His Peace to you,

Joe

iris

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »

Hi Joe,

You always give a lot of scripture, but I don't see any scripture on that last paragraph you wrote. Could you put down the scripture as to where you got that from?
Thank you.

Peace and Love
Iris

YellowStone

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »

Mat 18:11  For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.622

G622
ἀπόλλυμι
apollumi
ap-ol'-loo-mee
From G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively: - destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

I guess the short answer is Jesus came to save those who otherwise would always remain perished and destroyed and give them a new perfect life.

This present life in the flesh is not to be held on to, it is imperfect, corruptible and brief, even in the best case scenario. We are admonished to aspire to life in Christ, in His Spirit, which will be perfect, incorruptible and immortal (after the resurrection).

His Peace to you,

Joe

Joe, What I think you are saying, is that until the Spirit enters us and begins to open our spiritual eyes and ears, each and everyone of us was lost, wandering aimlessly from pillar to post in search of something unknown. However, once we are "found" by the Spirit, we begin to see our spiraling trails in the sand and think fool that I was. God was with me all the while.

Perhpas Lost is being not yet found.

Just my thoughts,

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »

Yes Darren,

Some in this life/age the rest in the next.

Ray explains this in detail in many of his articles.

His Peace to you,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »

Perhpas Lost is being not yet found.

He knows where we are and why, it is humanity that knows not where they are or why until He reveals it. In His time and season Brother.

Peace,

Joe

rocky

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »

Act 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: [/b] and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. 

2Cr 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. 

scales falling from eyes

any animal that has scales??  that blinds?? that deceives

Gen 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:38:51 PM by rocky »

jacieleigh

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »

The only comfort I find right now is knowing that God has me, knows me and loves me anyway. In struggling to understand the "why" of this week and feeling so lost in the sorrow, I have to remind myself of the life lessons learned from Daddy ( Satch) and Grandfather. If a simple little peach matters so much that God would bless us with it, we must matter more to Him than we can even imagine.
JacieLeigh

Redbird

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »

Dear JacieLeigh,

My prayers are with you.  You have been through much sorrow, not unlike many of us here on the forum.

Matthew 5:4  Blessed are they that mourn:  for they shall be comforted.

May Jesus comfort you in this time of need.

Lisa

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

Hi Joe,

You always give a lot of scripture, but I don't see any scripture on that last paragraph you wrote. Could you put down the scripture as to where you got that from?
Thank you.

Peace and Love
Iris

Sure Iris,

There are very many throughout the Scriptures here are a few;

Mat 10:39  He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Mar 8:35  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Joh 12:25  He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Col 3:1  If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Col 3:2  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The above is what we should be seeking first, below is the fulfilment of the Divine Promise.

1Co 15:53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption and this mortal must put on immortality.

1Co 15:54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1Co 15:55  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

At times this life seems long, arduous and painful, even senseless but what is a few years compared to an endless time of peace, tranquility, joy and the real life we are presently being created for? These years in our flesh will be seen as they really are (a vapor) once we receive the full payment on our inheritance that we are promised through Jesus Christ.

Jam 4:14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

His Peace and Wisdom to you Sister,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 05:50:12 PM »

We know that non are born again. We are taught and shown that non are saved yet. Therefore we are all in the womb of our individual life struggles until such time as we emerge into our resurrected life.

I believe that once we are born again or once we have entered into our resurrected life, we are not yet saved. Only once we are born again and saved then we will be no longer lost. Non of us are born yet except Jesus Christ and some are more lost than others!

In the end all will be one and one will be all. Of course we know now that THE ONE is Christ.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

javajoe

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 06:59:35 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful.
I did go back and read some of Ray's teachings, but there is a lot there to grasp. 

Come to think of it,  it was a silly question, because it was God's plan from the beginning to send Christ, so "rotting in the grave forever" was never a condition in the first place, so I guess I am understanding that to be lost is like the lost sheep, being spiritually separated from God  - but the thing about the lost sheep, Jesus went looking and brought the lost sheep back to the fold, didn't even ask for his permission, just grabbed him and swept him off his "hooves".  So, there you have it, just like us!! ;)

iris

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 09:38:57 PM »

Joe,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with all those scriptures.
They are very helpful.
Brother, you are always so kind and helpful.
Thank you so much.

Peace and Love
Iris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 08:22:18 AM »

Hi Iris,

You are very welcome, I am glad to have been of some help.

His Peace to you,

Joe

acomplishedartis

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »

hi to all, i am new on posting but, i want everyone to know that i apreciate the forum and how everyone seems to hear decently and respond with honestly,
anyways

i was reading this, at this morning (from: DOES SCRIPTURE PROVE
GOD WILL SAVE EVERYONE? by ray) and i guess it has to do with all this;
''
 “The Lord is not [#3856, ou—‘no, not, nay, never’] slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not  [Gk:  #3361 me,  ‘not, any, neither, never, no, none, nor, nothing’] willing [Gk: #1014 boulomai, ‘to will be willing, disposed, minded, intend] that any '[Gk: #5100 tis, ‘some, any, a, thing, at all, certain, divers, every man, one, ought, some {man, body, thing, what} no thing] should perish [Gk: apollumi, ‘perish, destroy, lose’], but that all [Gk: pas—all, as many as] should come to repentance”  (II Pet. 3:9).

We all are in a state of apollumi—perishing, lost, or being destroyed, so this is speaking of our final destiny, forever.'' (come to repentence)

for my perception i also think being lost has to do with death as it was sugested, because we are all slowly dying, Day by day , hour by hour we are getting closer to our graves from Every second since we born.

acturus said this, wich it inspired me;

''Non of us are born yet except Jesus Christ and some are more lost than others!
In the end all will be one and one will be all''

i think it is not pleasent and fun to be waiting for death and keep it on mind constantly, but it may can bring us some humble. Just to remember how lost i am in so many ways and how many times i fall on the same things that i jugde others, reminds me how less power i have over my self.

some must be more lost than others! the only thing that i guess diference us from each others is our types of thinking (like our hopes) from the way of how we had come to perceive life (from what god has showed to us) and this is what cause us to be the way that we are.

i hope to dont be lost on my perception, but from now i still think we are all lost on diferents proportions, for now i just have hope that someday we will be all found.
 and if god has let us find at list some of his truth, i hope he let us stand faithfully on it, at list with the little that we have, until now.

moises

YellowStone

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »

Hi All,

I have given what I am about to say a lot of thought and even some prayer. I was lost, I have been where there was no hope, no light, no prayer to be heard. I know I was lost, because I wandered around aimlessly, trusting no one, least of all myself.

Yet, God found me. I didn't know it at the time, sure didn't look like God, but I know it was. Because, I did not find myself in a city or a by a beach, no; I found or rather began to see myself from within, through the Spirit that began to open my spiritual eyes and heart. Slowly, with that aid of the spirit and some wonderful people who came into my life who changed my life by believing in me, I began to crawl out of my hole of darkness.

But I did not crawl out alone, I crawled out knowing that God had found me; that He had revealed himself to me in ways that I can now see very clearly and his Spirit is with me very much still. I trust in Him completely and what is sad is knowing that I am still totally unworthy of any of the love He has showed me. But I promise each one of you, though each of us may have been lost once; who really believes that they are now?

Psa 23:1  The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psa 23:2  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Psa 23:3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psa 23:4  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psa 23:5  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Psa 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Though we may not have yet reached the end of our journey, we are not walking alone.

Prasie be to God!

Love in Christ,

Darren

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »

Hello acomplishedartis 

It is right to be eagerly, constantly and patiently waiting for the return of The Lord because when He returns He comes to bring us to complete and full salvation. Until then we are yet imperfect, in the process of being made into His Image.

Heb 9 : 28  Even so it is that Christ, having been offered to take upon Himself and bear as a burden the sins of many once and once for all, will appear a second time, not to carry any burden of sin or to deal with sin, but to BRING TO FULL SALVATION those who are eagerly, constantly and patiently waiting for and expecting Him.

By contrast those who are more lost are like the Pastor who was building a new house who said. "I do not want Jesus to come before I have had a chance to finish my house and leave me time to enjoy it." (An actual statement said in a Church Leadership meeting!)

Though we run our race we have not crossed the finishing line. I look at Christ Jesus as being our completion, reward and finishing line.

Heb 12:4 You have not yet struggled and fought agonizingly against sin, nor have you yet resisted and withstood to the point of pouring out your own blood.

Only Jesus can rightfully claim to have achieved finishing His race and showing us the way to overcome being lost, imperfect and looking away from all that distracts to Him who is our Leader, Source and Finisher because He has already obtained the prize that was set before Him.

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith: who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Darren you observe : ....we are not walking alone.

We know from what we have perceived and accepted in the teachings regarding the Myth of Free Will, that God is causing every step we take. We are taking the steps and God is causing them. God can also bring to us in a flash, to know that we would be lost without Him. This realization comes to those God is training I believe.

I understand that we are never lost to GOD because HE is ALL KNOWING and OMNIPRESENT. From our view point we can fall prey to becoming lost, back slidden, deceived and in error when we lean on our own understanding and worse fall into the error of thinking we have control or are in control! :D

For me, every discussion we can have is centred on Free Will and Absolute v/s Relative. To me all roads lead to these conclusions (as brought out in Rays teachings) and the acceptance or rejection of them. Everything around that is frills skirting issues that embroider other ideas that evade the stark basic Truth that does not lie, or deceive or err.

You can take a string of scriptures to say we were lost once in darkness and now see the light but we are not there yet and until we are home in Christ we are vulnerable to being lost again or getting lost. Like Judas who walked with Christ. Judas got lost in his dispair, regret and solitary anguish. Poor guy. Think how he will feel when our Lord wakes him up and he see's Him as he desired to have Him ruling while in carnal reality! Of course he will have to repent of trying to take control to get his own way and vision of Jesus ruling the Roman Empire. When Christ returns He will be ruling much more than that! 8)...Just my thoughts.... :)

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:52:31 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.