bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peters Denial  (Read 5544 times)

Phazel

Peters Denial
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:42:22 PM »

Matthew 10:33 (Whole Chapter)
But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Is there some writings that talk about Peter denying christ in relationship with this warning?

love_magnified

Peters Denial
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:54:52 PM »

In Matthew 10, Christ is speaking of those who would follow him. But in order to follow Christ, you must have the spirit in you. Those who deny the spirit of Christ after having been enlightened will also deny his commands and will not love their neigbor but pursue money etc. Peter was not yet converted. I think Christ is talking about people who would cast out demons in his name, and at the same time preach that Christ will torture his enemies for all time. It wasn't just Peter who denied Christ before he went to the cross. The whole world denied him. He died abandoned and alone.

love_magnified

Peters Denial
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »

Matthew 9:35
And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

I think Christ's teachings in Matthew 10 have to do with the Gospel of the Kingdom that Christ preached. Peter was not in the kingdom yet. The Kingdom is a spiritual people who walk with Christ's spirit in them. That's what I'm getting at. Peter didn't have that spirit within him when he denied Christ.

hillsbororiver

Peters Denial
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:40:32 PM »

LM, I think you summed it up beautifully, Peter was yet carnal when he denied Jesus. Peter nor any other apostle was converted until after the Resurrection and especially after Pentecost.

Joe

bobf

Peters Denial
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:34:38 PM »

My understanding is different.  I think Peter did deny Christ and the Father also did deny Peter.  God forsook Peter, just as God forsook Jesus on the cross.

I think Peter experienced all these things before Pentecost:

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken.

Isaiah 54:7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

Lamentations 3:7 He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy. 8 Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.

Joel 1:4 That which the palmerworm hath left hath the locust eaten; and that which the locust hath left hath the cankerworm eaten; and that which the cankerworm hath left hath the caterpiller eaten.
    [/list:u]

I think this all occured when Peter was sifted by Satan.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired [to have] you, that he may sift [you] as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.[/list:u]

It is the judgment of God that shakes the heavens are removes those things which can be shaken.  Peter being carnal is a reason FOR God to judge him, not a reason for God not to judge him.

love_magnified

Peters Denial
      « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 12:12:20 AM »

I think the question is whether or not Christ denied Peter before the Father. It doesn't seem like Christ did that. Although I do believe Peter underwent consequence for his actions.

bobf

Peters Denial
      « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:33 AM »

Quote from: love_magnified
      I think the question is whether or not Christ denied Peter before the Father. It doesn't seem like Christ did that. Although I do believe Peter underwent consequence for his actions.

I'm not sure if Christ "denying before the Father" refers to judgment, but I thought so because it seems that verse 34 is the consequence of verse 33 and refers to judgment.  Not sure though.

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Jerermiah 4:10 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.
        [/list:u]

love_magnified

Peters Denial
        « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 12:34:04 AM »

Yes there is definite consequence to rejecting Christ. I am not sure if what you are saying correlates to Christ rejecting someone. I read it that Christ is talking about the Kingdom which shall be judged from within, when the time comes, the kingdom he would create with his death and resurrection. But I see your point.
        Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.