bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Romans 8: 28-32  (Read 4871 times)

DuluthGA

Romans 8: 28-32
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »

I am offering this as an informative study on the Greek translation of Rom 8: 28-32.  I think it is a theological treat and definitely to be shared with my brothers and sisters, although not being a student of Greek, please understand I cannot verify the accuracy of its tenets.  However even if inaccurate, I think we can accept the newly shed insight on this verse set that there are truly no limitations to God.

From a portion of the Editorial of the Unsearchable Riches magazine of Concordant Publishing for March 2007, from the section ‘Now We are Aware’ by James R. Coram, who is President and current editor of the magazine:

…... The remaining especially notable Scripture passage which stresses that our calling is according to God’s purpose is Romans 8: 28-32.

Let us first of all consider verse 28, which is translated in the Concordant Version: “Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose that…”

Here, the Concordant Version generally follows the traditional English syntax and grammar in the rendering of this verse, as is found in the Authorized Version.  Translated thus, the reader is informed that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, which is to say for the personal benefit of all such persons.

It is true that the more enlightened reader will not perceive self-merit in his own love of God; instead, in all humility, he will be mindful that “We are loving God for He first loves us” (1John 4: 19).  Still, from this translation, since this is what is said, the reader will conclude that what is revealed here is that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God; that is, for the self-benefit of all such ones. 

However, if we follow the Greek syntax itself and also render the text here more literally, we will find that what the apostle Paul writes in this verse is even more glorious than we had previously supposed.

First of all, let us note the reading of this verse according to the ultra-literal English sublinear of the CONCORDANT GREEK TEXT:

“WE-HAVE-PERCEIVED YET that to-THE ones-LOVING THE God ALL IS-TOGETHER-ACTING THE God INTO GOOD to-THE-ones according-to BEFORE-PLACing CALLED BEING that…” (Rom 8: 28).

Following the Greek closely (as much so as it practicable), Romans 8: 28 may be idiomatically translated as follows:  “Now we are aware that – to the ones who are loving God – God is working all together for good; [this is] to the ones who are called according to the purpose that…”

Translated thus, noting the Greek syntax, the two critical phrases which are in the dative case (i.e., “to”), not the genitive (i.e., “of”), even as the absence of the definite article before the word “good” together with the unneeded “of” following, the thought thus presented becomes significantly different and far grander still than that previously understood.

Rendered thus, we understand that, as ones who are loving God, we enjoy the awareness that God is working all together for good.  Period.  This is so, whether a certain divine operation should be purposed especially for our own good, in particular, or for the greater good in general, broadly speaking in consideration of God’s wider purpose and own glory.

*** I stop this here as this is the gist of the important part ***

:)

Beloved

Re: Romans 8: 28-32
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:05:51 PM »

This is great news isn't it . The more carnally thinking ones will always thinks of getting more good things. Those loving God always knows that God is Good and always giving ....things that are good in themselves or will be for your own good or the general good.

“WE-HAVE-PERCEIVED YET that to-THE ones-LOVING THE God ALL IS-TOGETHER-ACTING THE God INTO GOOD to-THE-ones according-to BEFORE-PLACing CALLED BEING that…” (Rom 8: 28).

GOD IS GOING TO MAKE EVERY THING "GOOD" IN THE END

Helloooo Moderator person   ;D
This topic needs to be moved from off topics to General discussion....
it doesn't belong with the stale Haloween candy ;D

Beloved
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:27:06 PM by Beloved »

LittleBear

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:33:29 PM »

This is really encouraging information. It is especially encouraging when one goes through a particularily severe trial, which most of them seem to be at the time. However, once in a while, we can take our eyes off our particular situation and focus on God who is sovereign in our lives and is sovereign in the world. We will see how wonderfully he is and will work all things for good.

Amen to that!

Ursula

gmik

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:41:14 PM »

Janice, great stuff, but I hunger for the rest of the verses...what follows ...being called according..whatever (I am tired, my eyes are goofing around)

I always puzzled on the last part.  Are we all called....according to what??  His purposes of course, but I used to assume I was called and He was blessing me for my purposes as well.

ez2u

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:09:02 AM »

Janice yes dear sister isn't this far better and more wonderful that He is doing what is best.  Peggy

javajoe

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »

Somehow, I ran across that same commentary recently - or one very similar.  My carnal mind was used to thinking it was all about me, now it makes more sense of course, dah!  God works for the general good, or the good period, and I'm just a small part of it.  What a revelation!  :) 

ciao

DuluthGA

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:43:21 AM »

Yeah right JavaJoe,

I had the big "DUH" moment too...

:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.