bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immortality  (Read 5968 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Immortality
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »

Hi Ray,

Let me just start by saying THANK YOU for sharing the TRUTH. Boy, you sure cover a lot of ground. It gets me thinking ( which can be painful at times). I was "born again" at 8 years old. Started catholic, then baptist, then charismatic pentecostal, now BELIEVER !
I actually DID check your claims about the words translated to english, and did find them to be true. You are correct. I even did some checking into the authors of certain concordances ( Strongs, BDB, etc), and found that the meaning of certain words ( hades, gehenna, sheol, aion, etc) depends on who you ask. If you ask Strong, Hell is the proper translation of hades or sheol. Ask somone else and you may see the absence of any mention of hell, carrying instead, the meaning "grave" or "hidden".
I spent 9 months checking into this, weighing in with Christians who are knowledgeable in scriptures, meeting with expected resistance at first, but eventually concluding that you are correct.
I should say though, that not everyone was able to recieve the good news... at least, not yet. Maybe it's not their time yet. I wish it were, but nontheless, God's will be done.

A bump in the road?
Scripture clearly states that Christ died.
You assert that he was dead. Not alive in some fiery hellhole, nor in Heaven - for 3 days. Then was resurrected, and ascended to the father.
But, 1Timothy 6:16 says:" Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen." (KJV)

The word translated "immortality" here is fromn the greek athanasia, which Strongs concordance defines as " deathlessness". Thayer also defines it as meaning "undying".

If Christ is immortal ( undying, deathless), did he die? I believe that he died like scripture said he would. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Gary

Dear Gary:  A few years ago I realized that even I carelessly assumed that "Who only has immortality..." was speaking of Jesus. This apparently is not the case in these verses. Yes, Jesus NOW possesses immortality as we all will one day, but in this case the reference is to God His Father:

"I give you charge in the sight of GOD..." (I Tim. 6:13).

"Which in HIS [God's] times HE [God] shall show..."  (Verse 15).

"Who [God, not Jesus] has [inherently, not from another source] immortality dwelling in the LIGHT [God is 'the Father of lights' James 1:17] which no man can approach unto; Whom [God not Jesus] no has seen, nor can see [God the Father has no man ever seen, not Jesus, John 1:18; 5:37, etc.)..." (Verse 16).

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.