bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust to Dust  (Read 5173 times)

hillsbororiver

Dust to Dust
« on: October 11, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »

Scientists Discover Likely Source Of Dust That Formed Planets

By SETH BORENSTEIN The Associated Press

Published: Oct 11, 2007

WASHINGTON - Astronomers have taken a baby step in trying to answer the cosmic question of where we come from.

Planets and much on them, including humans, come from dust - mostly from dying stars - but where did the dust that helped form those early stars come from?

A NASA telescope may have spotted one of the answers. It's in the wind bursting out of supermassive black holes.

The Spitzer Space Telescope identified large quantities of freshly made space dust in a quasar about 8 billion light years from here.

Astronomers used the telescope to break down the wavelengths of light in the quasar to figure out what was in the space dust. They found signs of glass, sand, crystal, marble, rubies and sapphires, said Ciska Markwick-Kemper of the University of Manchester in England. She is the lead author of a study that will be published later this month in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Dust is important in the cooling process to make stars, which are predominantly gas. The leftover dust tends to clump together to make planets, comets and asteroids, said astronomer Sarah Gallagher, a co-author at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"In the end, everything comes from space dust," Markwick-Kemper said. "It's putting all the pieces of the puzzle together to figure out where we came from."

Astronomers conclude the planets, including Earth, that formed in the past several billion years came from dust that was belched from dying stars.

That still leaves a question about where the dust from the first couple billion years of the universe came from, which helped form early generations of star systems.

"It's formed in the wind," of the black holes, Markwick-Kemper said. Gas molecules collide in the searing heat of the quasar and form clusters.

"These clusters grow bigger and bigger until you can call them dust grains," she said.

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGB6NWYOM7F.html

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Dust to Dust, Fairy dust
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:12:03 PM »

Thanks Joe,

Good example of the latest in scientific explanation for the unexplainable.

I think scientist take special courses in making up stories that will convince the uneducated among us, legislators in particular, to support their research with our tax dollars.  This article is so full of 'black' holes, no pun intended, that it is laughable.  How did it get past peer review?

We need to better inform ourselves regarding the difference between science fact and science fable so that we can at least ignore if not refute some of these imaginative postulations.

Just my opinion,  Bob

musicman

Re: Dust to Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:53:31 AM »

I think the whole reason for the thread is to show that we came from dust.  I find no fault with good science.  I also have no problem with the old dating of the universe.  Not even from a scriptural perspective.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:24:47 AM »

I enjoy these posts about our universe :)

I wonder where the Scientists say the wind came from. . . ;D  ;D

God is boundless, measureless and fathomless. How can measurements contain Him. How can thoughts capture Him. He is the source of all and thinking outside the box of our limitations is always refreshing! Like going onto an aeroplane and looking down and seeing our lives from yet another perspective way above our own.

Holidays are necessary ;D

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:26:52 AM by Arcturus »

SandyFla

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »

I enjoy these scientific threads about the universe too. :)

But I always thought black holes had such intense gravity that nothing could get out.  ???

Sandy

indianabob

Re: Dust to Dust black holes
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:55 AM »

Yes,

The standard story is that even LIGHT cannot get out so that's why the area is called a black hole. Now the astrophysicist are making an exception for heavier or so called objects with 'mass' to get out since they are rubies and diamonds and have value for star building.

In ten more years the story will be reversed again.  It's the yo yo theory, expansion and contraction and it's not good science.

p.s. the light waves that were observed were generated 60 million years ago and have been traveling all that time through a 'pure' vacuum (?) and have not been affected by any of those dust particles along the way.  Although the other black holes have been generating massive quantities of dust particles in the meantime.  Plus the stars and planets have all moved to new locations during the interim filtering the light waves/particles.  But our instruments, located on the earth or maybe on the Hubble telescope are able to sort that all out, no problem.

Yes, and if you'll just send me your tithe every month I'll guarantee salvation for you and your family.  Hmmm.

This looks like a scam and we shouldn't fall for it just because the authors have PhD in front of their names.  Prove all things and hold to that which is good.

p.p.s. I do take seriously the idea that we are all made of dust and appreciate Joe's noting of this relationship.  It's just that I worked with scientist for 25 years and have some reservations about their methods of securing funding.  Once you start in a designated science field you have no real choice but to continue or go back to selling cars. 

Science does quite well when there is a profit motive and the research is proven successful by regular use, theory is another story.  But the people want to believe that the human race is so smart.  It's the same attitude that gets us into misunderstanding in religion.  If the majority believes it then it must be true

So, Trust and verify.

Bob

SandyFla

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »

Bob,

Thanks for your explanation.

It sounds like something I told a believer in evolution, back when I enjoyed arguing with them. He said he based his belief on science. I know evolution is not science, but anyway ... I asked him where he'll be in a few years when the science he believes is proven wrong and replaced a "more correct" science. You know, eggs are good for you; no they're not because they cause cancer ... Saturn has one solid ring; Saturn has many rings composed of separate rocks ... etc.  :D

OH! That reminds me: We had a thread awhile back asking for oxymorons. Here's another one: It's an "exact science."  :P

Sandy

indianabob

Re: Dust to Dust Sandy
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:22:33 AM »

Sandy,

I think that I'm going to like you.

I like to learn and I appreciate correction when it's for my own good and when I can understand it.

I am a little less than accepting of correction when the author uses language that is over my head.

I worked at University long enough to learn that people who truly know their subject can explain it to fifth graders if they will pay attention.

I think that I am smarter than most fifth graders, but only because I make a point of keeping up.  So when an evolutionist or an astrophysicist tells me that it is just too complicated for me to understand it puts me on guard.

I make it a practice to try to trust everyone, until they get into my wallet or try to tell me what to believe.

That's why I like Ray as much as I do; he is not afraid to answer my questions and I don't get any double speak.

Hope to hear from you often.

Indianabob

fe32k

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »

So Stars come black holes and black holes come from stars. Chicken or the egg all over again.

Grateful

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:30:44 PM »

Hi all !

Yep, we're all made from Stardust!!  Now doesn't that just put a smile in your heart??!   :D :D  We are part of the Beauty of the Cosmos.   Have any of you ever read Dr. Fritjof Capra's (a nuclear physicist) book, The Tao of Physics ?  To be truthful, it IS a "handful" to read this book, but what I got out of it, basically, was this :  Matter is Energy and LIGHT ,  if you follow atoms' construction allllll the way down into their constituent parts in a linear accelerator, with accompanying photos & captions.  I got a big WOW!!  out of reading this book!!  It deepened, widened, and heightened my appreciation for God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :D :D :D   ::)    8)

Loving to learn more about Him,

Linda
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.