bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I found two corroborations on the word "gospel" yesterday  (Read 5798 times)

Grateful

I found two corroborations on the word "gospel" yesterday
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »

A few months ago, I felt the desire to undertake a massive Bible study at home, reading my New Scofield Reference AKJV Bible simultaneously with Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, starting from Genesis 1:1 and going straight through toward Revelation (I'm only in Isaiah 40 now) comparing them verse-by-verse, AND plodding through the legwork of actually looking up most of the cross-references.  When I DID do that, I almost ALWAYS made beautiful discoveries and was SOOOOO glad that I made myself do it!!!   :D   (I wonder just how much of that activity was GOD-driven!!! haha! )   Yesterday morning I made the happy discovery in Isaiah 40:9 in Scofield, in the footnote.  The footnote read as follows :   "In the Septuagint the clause 'that bringest good tidings,' is expressed by euaggelizo , which in the New Testament is the verb often used for declaring good tidings, or preaching the Gospel.  Our words 'evangelize' and 'evangelism' are derived from this Greek verb.

I went to my Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language, College Edition (1960), and looked up "gospel".  Here's what I found :  gospel  [ ME (Middle English) godspell, gospel (with assimilated -d- ) ;  AS (Anglo-Saxon) godspel . originally good spell, good story, good news ;  intended as translation of Greek euangelion , good tidings, but later by shortening of  o , it became godspel as if  <god , God + spel , story, history ]   1.  the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles

When I put these two paragraphs together, it makes me think:   Jesus came to bring our Father's GOOD NEWS of His beautiful Self and His Righteous ways unto His childrens' awareness, and make us desire strongly to be just like Him in character and behavior.

I love studying languages and finding the oft-hidden meanings & origins or words.  For example I was delighted years ago to discover that the word "goodbye" is a contraction of "God be with ye" !    And the Hawaiian word "aloha" means "Hello" and "Goodbye".....   I like to KNOW what I am SAYING when I speak!   :D

Does anyone else among you have any other word discoveries that you can share with us all?

Ciao for now!   :)

Linda

jER

Re: I found two corroborations on the word "gospel" yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:29:22 AM »

..."goodbye" is a contraction of "God be with ye" !

Then, is "hello" a contraction of hell?
This is interesting, because the grave (hell) comes before, as in hello!
Whereas – "goodbye" is to leave this life, ultimately to be with God.

Just thinking out loud…  ;)

-jER

Grateful

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:37:03 AM »

Hi jER!

You CAUGHT that, didn't you?!   ;)

You know, you got me to thinking about what the derivation of the word "hello" is just now, so I went to Google, and entered :   Hello -- word origin
Got the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello     and found :

Etymology

There are many different theories to the origins of the word. It might be a contraction of archaic English "whole be thou". [6] Another source has been suggested to be the phrase "Hail, Thou", as used in some translations of the Bible (see Luke 1:28 and Matthew 27:14 for examples).

A long time ago I looked up the word "holy" in my dictionary, and discovered that the origin of that word is :  "hale, whole, sound, hearty." 

Another surprising discovery I found on Wikipedia
 (
Ciao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  South America
The word ciao is colloquial (pronounced "chow" ) is an informal Italian verbal salutation or greeting, meaning either "goodbye" or "hello". ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciao

And here I am, half Sicilian-Italian, and didn't even know that the Italian word "ciao" meant 'Hello" as well as "Goodbye", just like in the Hawaiian language!!!   My brain just grew a new neuron tonight!!  haHA!   :D  ;)

It has surprised me more than once to find out just how sacred our everyday language IS, often.  Just now I Googled :  Sacred - word origin   and got this website :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred     An excerpt from this website is :

The distinction of the word holy appeared around the 13th Century with the Old English word hālig derived from hāl meaning health, happiness and wholeness. As “wholeness”, holiness may be taken to indicate a state of religious completeness or perfection.

Oh, our language is SO  RICH and FULL with MEANING !!! 

I wonder just exactly WHICH "WORD" is meant in John1:1, when the verse says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ?   That verse has intrigued me for quite some time.   Any ideas, anyone?

Always on the search for words and Bible passages  that enrich our lives!!

Linda

Kat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »

Hi Linda,

I found this in the Mobile conference transcript.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3720.0.html -----------

In Gene. 1:1 it says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

But that’s not the way that word (beginning) is translated in most places in the Bible.  Let’s step back a second, lets decide who created the heaven and the earth, ok.   

In John 1:1  “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

A guy argued with me for 3 months, back and forth, telling me that was the Father, “In the beginning was the Word.”   The right order of the words in the linear is, ‘and God was the word.’  “and the Word was WITH God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning WITH God.”  Now it’s pretty hard for something that is something, to be with itself, see what I’m saying, that don’t quite work grammatically, does it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it might add a little to what you are discussing  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: I found two corroborations... Bob's reply
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »

Ciao Linda,

Interesting thread you have presented.  I will pursue this idea in my personal study.

I am from a German, Danish, Scott-Irish background, but my eldest daughter Karen, married a fellow from New Jersey named Salvatore LaDuca.  He immigrated from Sicily at age 10 in 1954.  They are presently on vacation in the old country to attend a family wedding.  When they return, we may have more to share.

Blessings, indianabob

"And here I am, half Sicilian-Italian, and didn't even know that the Italian word "ciao" meant 'Hello" as well as "Goodbye", just like in the Hawaiian language!!!   My brain just grew a new neuron tonight!!  haHA!   :D  ;)

Linda

[/quote]

Grateful

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:32 PM »

Thanks, Kat & Indianabob, for your input!!   :D ;D    I can't chat right now, but will get back to you as soon as possible, as I need to get things done for a few hours.

Kat, you've given me food for thought (BTW, I've read that article before, but it sure doesn't hurt to review it!!  :) ).  Thanks!

So Salvatore LaDuca is my age too!!   His and my roots have sunk deep into Earth, and I'm trying to sink further into God's Bible and sprout "good stuff" ABOVE ground!  haha!   ;D   ;D   ;)

Ciao for niao!!

Linda

DuluthGA

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:29:15 AM »

Hi Linda,

Your study of the two 'good tidings' in both the Old and New Testament brings to mind that Jesus is the God of both the O.T. and N.T.  Here's a Ray quote:

The Lord of the Old Testament is "Jehovah" which is a Proper NAME, not a title as is "Lord" in the New Testament. Even so, Jehovah was NOT Jesus' Father, but Jesus Himself. Moses heard and saw Jehovah, whereas NO MAN HAS EVER seen or heard the Father. (John 5:37).

Jesus/Jehovah and His message of the coming kingdom are good tidings indeed. :)

Joy,
Janice

Grateful

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 09:54:21 PM »

You can only imagine my SURPRISE and Joy in discovering that Jesus IS Jehovah, thus tying the OT and the NT together quite NEATLY!!!   WHAT a piece of work Ray did in bringing out revelatory Scriptures that testified to Jesus'  "LORD" status in the OT !!!   Ray has astounded me MANY times at the depth of his Scriptural research in alllll of his papers in the bible-truths.com website.....   Like I said in one of my postings elsewhere in this Forum, I have smiled soooooo many times upon discovering another Truth that Ray revealed, as I read all of the papers he has written.   I wish I had the time right now to read ALL of them again, as a brush-up "course"!   :)

BTW, didn't Jesus say that He Himself HAS seen  the Father of us all?  (I don't have my Strong's Concordance handy at the moment.)   If so, He certainly held a privileged position, being the First-Born of ALL creatures!   He must certainly have strong eyes in order to be able to behold the Father.....since God is Light , and the Father of lights !   :)  :)

De-light-ed ,

Linda

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »

To build on what you observe Linda, these scriptures came to mind.

Matt 10:22 All things have been given over into My power by My Father; and no one knows Who the Son is except the Father, or Who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son may choose to reveal and make Him known.

Matt 11 : 27 All things have been entrusted and delivered to Me by My Father; and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Son except the Father, and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son deliberately wills to make Him known.

For me this shows a new way of living and seeing which is unlike our physical or natural sight. Here in the above scriptures I "see" that sight is revelation from Christ to our minds giving us comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of the Father and accurate understanding of the Son.

Quite different from physical sight!

Excerpts from http://bible-truths.com/kennedy2.htm

1.      Whatever we teach must "glorify" God.

"Glory to God in the highest ... " (Lk. 2:14).

" ... that in all God may be glorified ... " (I Pt. 4:11).
2.      Whatever we teach must not detract one iota from Christ's sacrifice for all humanity.

See what I mean?  ;D ;)

Peace be to you

Arcturus  :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:03:48 AM by Arcturus »

YellowStone

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »

You can only imagine my SURPRISE and Joy in discovering that Jesus IS Jehovah, thus tying the OT and the NT together quite NEATLY!!!   WHAT a piece of work Ray did in bringing out revelatory Scriptures that testified to Jesus'  "LORD" status in the OT !!!   Ray has astounded me MANY times at the depth of his Scriptural research in alllll of his papers in the bible-truths.com website.....   Like I said in one of my postings elsewhere in this Forum, I have smiled soooooo many times upon discovering another Truth that Ray revealed, as I read all of the papers he has written.   I wish I had the time right now to read ALL of them again, as a brush-up "course"!   :)

BTW, didn't Jesus say that He Himself HAS seen  the Father of us all?  (I don't have my Strong's Concordance handy at the moment.)   If so, He certainly held a privileged position, being the First-Born of ALL creatures!   He must certainly have strong eyes in order to be able to behold the Father.....since God is Light , and the Father of lights !   :)  :)

De-light-ed ,

Linda

Hi Linda, :)

Many search for the truth in the most hard to reach places, expecting it to be almost impossible to find. Yet this not always the case; more often enough it is because one is blinded and simply cannot see the most obvious. Yet no one should be surprised at this, for God wants it this way.

Jhn 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.  

Now for the "Obvious" truth that is always overlooked. :)

Col 1:15  Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16  For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So who created man? Not God the Father, but his Son; refered to as Jehovah in the Hebrew Scriptures. When given "Spiritual" eyes that see, truth is everywhere and one cannot help but find it and understand it for the truth that it is.

When I read what Ray said about Jehovah and Christ being one of the same, I was shocked. It fit so well, and could find a dozen Scriptures that supported it. Rays few words were enough to open my eyes, ears and heart to the truth completely.

Praise be to God, who gives us all we need in his time.

Love to you in Christ,
Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.