bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thou shalt not covet  (Read 11016 times)

Gregor

Thou shalt not covet
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:46:21 AM »

Ex.20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his a@@, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Interesting word, covet. According to Dictionary.com:
cov·et
–verb (used with object)
1. to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others: to covet another's property.
2. to wish for, esp. eagerly: He won the prize they all coveted.

–verb (used without object)
3. to have an inordinate or wrongful desire.

v. tr.
1. To feel blameworthy desire for (that which is another's). See Synonyms at envy.
2. To wish for longingly. See Synonyms at desire.

v. intr.
To feel immoderate desire for that which is another's.

I was recently speaking with a friend about Ray's teaching regarding Eve having sin in her heart prior to eating the forbidden fruit. My friend said that the 3 catagories (lust of the eye, lust of the flesh, pride of life) in Gen. 3:6 are not sin, but part of the temptation. This does not negate that the sin itself is rooted in our hearts. But if Satan also tempted Christ in the wilderness it is obviously not sin to be tempted. Is it not wrong to have strong desire for something as long as it is yours in the first place? According to Ray, when Adam first saw Eve he declared "Now this is bone of my bone..." and (assumption follows) found Eve pleasant to the eye, pleasant to the flesh, and desireable. Given that Eve was created specifically for Adam he wouldn't be coveting something that was already his. But that sounds like Eve is then considered a possession of/or belonging to Adam. (I'm not trying to imply or offend here ladies, just trying to figure out what makes coveting what it is, so please don't hate :P)

Paul tells us in 1Cor.12:31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a better way. Would this imply that the gifts are already ours for the receiving, so as not to be coveting?

To sum up all these thoughts, at what point does desire (the strength of temptation) turn into lust or turn into coveting?? Are they all the same meanings, but different strengths/results?

sonofone

Re: Thou shalt not covet
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:04:57 AM »

Good luck with this one G!

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »

My friend said that the 3 catagories (lust of the eye, lust of the flesh, pride of life) in Gen. 3:6 are not sin, but part of the temptation. This does not negate that the sin itself is rooted in our hearts. But if Satan also tempted Christ in the wilderness it is obviously not sin to be tempted. Is it not wrong to have strong desire for something as long as it is yours in the first place?

First off I would have had a hard time not looking incredulously at my friend.

Of course it is not a sin to be tempted.  Yes, Christ was tempted by Satan, but it is a far    s t r e t c h   to make the assumption that Christ actually desired, lusted or showed pride when considering satan's temptation.   

Here is an example.  Let's say you put a drug in front of me and says "use this, it will make you feel good".  In considering my response I would not feel any pull or desire/lust to take you up on the offer, and would decline without sin.   Now, put a beautiful naked person of the female persuasion in front of me and have her say "take me I'm yours"  I may decline the offer, but I can tell you the desire and lust would still be there even if I turned her down, and I would have sinned in the process.

Craig
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:29:57 AM by Craig »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »

Great point Craig,

This is another angle of coveting and lust and the other sins that can arise even though a physical act has not been made.

My neighbor just pulled in his driveway with a brand new Corvette, loaded.

Why can he afford something like that and I can't? If only I had that car my life would be so much more enjoyable. Is he just trying to make himself look like a big shot? Is he selling drugs? I bet he is cheating on his taxes. (Is thinking like this sin?)

I want that car!

But I did not steal it. (So I am Christlike and guiltless?)

Peace,

Joe

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »

Stealing is only one manifestation of the sin you already committed.   Iff your neighbor walks next door and gives you the keys and you accept, you still sinned.

Craig

Grateful

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »

Hello all !   :)

We (my husband and I) have over the past 40 years of marriage accumulated SO MANY, MANY "THINGS"  until I'm BLUE in the face!!!  More than once, my husband & I have exclaimed to each other, "We are POSSESSION-POOR !!!"   Meaning that we just have too doggoned many THINGS!!  I am currently in the slow process of GETTING RID OF as many of them as I can!!!!!!!!!!!   As someone once said (I can't remember who), "Simplify, SIMPLIFY."   

Right now I covet nearness to The Almighty and our Father in Heaven!!   THEY make me SO HAPPY, I'm excited!!!  YAY!  I've found that the Holy Scriptures are the way-showers to THE Way-Shower Himself!!  ( I feel a dance coming onnnnn!!  Oh me, oh my!!   Haha!)

Have a goood day, please !!   :D :D

Linda

P.S.  I dearly hope no one feels I'm "bragging"......I have found that Scripture to be so very true :  "Draw nigh unto Me, and I will draw nigh unto you."   Also, God  IS "nearer than hands and feet" .   O Hallelujah!!

acomplishedartis

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »

Stealing is only one manifestation of the sin you already committed.   Iff your neighbor walks next door and gives you the keys and you accept, you still sinned.

Craig

Once we get the feeling or the desire of it, if nothing greater stop us or make us change, we just go for it, maybe this is how we a very similar to simple mashines.
 we dont need much to be persuaded.

if jesus was never temted to do anything that satan told him, why is it called temtation? i think he never had the more minimum desire to do what he told him.

moises

Kat

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »

James 1:14 But, each one, is tempted, when, by his own coveting, he is drawn out and enticed,
v. 15 Then, the coveting, having conceived, giveth birth to sin, and, the sin, when full-grown, bringeth forth death. (Rotherham)

I do not think that temptation itself is sin, as with all the many things that can be presented before us as temptation.  It is the way we look at the temptation with a wrong desire for it, with men it may be the beautiful woman or a shiny new sports car, with a woman maybe that special favorite chocolate dessert or a expensive pair of shoes.  Regardless of what it is, it is our response to it, having a fleshly desire for something of the world.  Is there lust that is not sin?  I don't think so.

Gal 5:16  I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
v. 17  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Only by Christ in us are we able to overcome the desires of the flesh.

Gal 5:24  And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
v. 25  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »

Hi moises,

Jesus was certainly tempted but He did not contemplate or fantasize about giving in to temptation.

Mat 4:1  Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

(The word "tempt" could be replaced by "enticed" or "tested" in this verse.)

Once we embrace a temptation, hold it dear, imagine how pleasurable it would be we are guilty of sin.

If we have jealousy, imagine revenge, take joy in another person suffering we are guilty in the eyes of the Lord.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »

Hi Kat,

I see we were posting at the same time once again.  ;)

Great response by the way,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

Hello Gregor

You observe :
sounds like Eve is then considered a possession of/or belonging to Adam. (I'm not trying to imply or offend here ladies, just trying to figure out what makes coveting what it is, so please don't hate

Women are God's possessions and we are given as gifts to our husbands by God, as Eve was and not possessions to them but GIFTS. So what's to hate? (Rhetorical question!)  ;D

You ask :
at what point does desire (the strength of temptation) turn into lust or turn into coveting?? Are they all the same meanings, but different strengths/results?

I think it is rather like white light going through a prism. It will come out the other side in the colour dictated by the angle of the prism. Through a pure heart the light is beautiful and through a blackened one the light is darkness. It all depends on the condition of the heart not anything else and Kat brings forward through the teachings via James.

Jesus had many women fall at His feet in adoration and total submission to Him. They were safe!
 8) ;D Until Jesus returns this world will continue to be an unsafe place for both men who lust for women ( not all men ) and women who crave security from men (not all women) Only the Spirit of Christ can break this vicious circle for He is the balance. To quote Ray.

What is the balance?  Jesus Christ is the balance.  http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5506.0.html

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

M_Oliver

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »

Gal 5:16  I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
v. 17  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Gal 5:24  And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Can anyone describe what it means to "walk in the Spirit" or "live in the Spirit"?  If you are walking in the Spirit what are you doing?? might be the better question.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

Hi Mark,

1Pe 2:21  For even hereunto, were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Following the steps of Christ under the power of the Spirit of Christ, here is a portion from LOF Part 12;

COUNTING THE COST

God has already outlined a training course for those who would be Sons and Daughters of God. It involves a whole lot more than just enunciating a phrase of faith in Jesus. Acknowledging Jesus as your Saviour is certainly the starting point, but it is far from the complete requirement for those who would reign with Jesus as Judge, Lord, Priest and King. Here are just a few of the things that God requires of us. There are, of course, dozens, even HUNDREDS more declarations and admonitions to those who would become manifest Sons and Daughters of our God and Father:

"LOVE your enemies, BLESS them that curse you, DO GOOD to them that hate you, and PRAY for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you [Why?]; that ye may be the children [Greek: ‘SONS’] of your Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 5:44-45)!

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, DO YE EVEN SO TO THEM: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matt. 7:12).

"For I say unto you, That except YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL EXCEED righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in NO CASE enter into the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:20).

"Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let Him DENY HIMSELF, and TAKE UP HIS CROSS, and FOLLOW ME" (Matt. 16:24).

"Jesus said unto him, You shall LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind… YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matt. 22:37-40).

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall ENDURE UNTO THE END, the same shall be saved" (Matt. 24:12-13).

"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, IF YE CONTINUE IN MY WORD, then are ye my disciples indeed" (John 8:31).

"Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but HE THAT DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER which is in heaven" (Matt. 7:21).

"COME OUT OF HER [Mystery Babylon the Great and all of her evil teachings], My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" (Rev. 18:4).

"My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him. For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives. IF YOU ENDURE CHASTENING, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastens not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye ********, and not sons" (Heb. 12:5-8).

"Beloved think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as YE ARE PARTAKERS OF CHRIST’S SUFFERINGS; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy" (I Pet. 4:12-13).

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it BE TRIED WITH [SPIRITUAL] FIRE, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ" (I Pet. 1:7).

"LOVE NOT THE WORLD [that is the social system of this world, we are to love the people of the world], neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (I John 2:15-16).

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a LIVING SACRIFICE, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And BE NOT CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD: but be ye transformed by the RENEWING OF YOUR MIND, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" (Rom. 12:1).

"But Jesus called them unto Him and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But IT SHALL NOT BE SO WITH YOU: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister [servant]" (Matt. 20:25-26).

"Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory; but in lowliness of mind let each ESTEEM OTHER BETTER THAN THEMSELVES" (Phil. 2:3).

"Let this MIND BE IN YOU, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:5).

"SUBMIT yourselves therefore to God. RESIST the devil, and he will flee from you. DRAW NIGH to God, and He will draw night to you. CLEANSE your hands, ye sinners; and PURIFY your hearts, ye double minded" (James 4:7).

"REPENT ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15).

"For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but ALSO TO SUFFER FOR HIS SAKE" (Phil. 1:29).

"But I say unto you, That ye RESIST NOT EVIL: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matt. 5:39).

"Then said Jesus unto him, PUT UP AGAIN YOUR SWORD into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" (Matt. 26:52).

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die, but if ye through the Spirit do MORTIFY THE DEEDS OF THE BODY, ye shall live" (Rom. 8:13).

"WALK IN THE SPIRIT, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh" (Gal. 5:16).

I know that it sounds overwhelming that we should actually live by all of these commandments. And actually, there are many more like commandments in God’s Word. How are we to perform all these impossible tasks? Well certainly not by our own will and power.

ALL THESE THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD

Thankfully, we don’t have to accomplish all these many commands by our own power. God also gives us many promises to be with us in every way necessary to assure our success:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me [‘I have strength for all things in HIM which GIVES ME POWER’ {Henry Alford}, ‘Nothing is beyond my power in the strength of HIM Who MAKES ME STRONG’ {The Twentieth Century New Testament}, ‘I am ready for anything through the strength of the One who LIVES WITHIN ME’ {Phillips Translation}]" (Phil. 4:13).

"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and HE SHALL LIFT YOU UP" (James 4:10).

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but CHRIST LIVES IN ME: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).

"Grace and peace be multiplied unto you though the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord… Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And besides this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity [LOVE]. For if these things be in you and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ… Wherefore the rather, brethren given diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, YE SHALL NEVER FALL" (I Pet. 1:2-10).

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season WE SHALL REAP, if we faint not [Gk: ‘do not lose heart’]" (Gal. 6:9).

"Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto ALL THEM ALSO THAT LOVE HIS APPEARING" (II Tim.4:8).

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment [remember that, ‘judgment is upon the House of God NOW,’ I Pet. 4:17] : because as He is, SO ARE IN THIS WORLD" (I John 4:17).

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are HIS WORKMANSHIP [Gk: ACHIEVEMENT], CREATED IN Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph. 2:8-9).

"If God be for us, WHO CAN BE AGAINST US? (Rom. 8:31).

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angles, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from THE LOVE OF GOD, WHICH IS IN CHRIST JESUS OUR LORD" (Rom. 8:38-39).

And likewise, there are many more such Scriptures of comfort and assurance that God is able and willing to see us succeed once He has begun a work in us.

http://bible-truths.com/lake12.html

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »

My friend said that the 3 catagories (lust of the eye, lust of the flesh, pride of life) in Gen. 3:6 are not sin, but part of the temptation. This does not negate that the sin itself is rooted in our hearts. But if Satan also tempted Christ in the wilderness it is obviously not sin to be tempted. Is it not wrong to have strong desire for something as long as it is yours in the first place?

First off I would have had a hard time not looking incredulously at my friend.

Of course it is not a sin to be tempted.  Yes, Christ was tempted by Satan, but it is a far    s t r e t c h   to make the assumption that Christ actually desired, lusted or showed pride when considering satan's temptation.   

Here is an example.  Let's say you put a drug in front of me and says "use this, it will make you feel good".  In considering my response I would not feel any pull or desire/lust to take you up on the offer, and would decline without sin.   Now, put a beautiful naked person of the female persuasion in front of me and have her say "take me I'm yours"  I may decline the offer, but I can tell you the desire and lust would still be there even if I turned her down, and I would have sinned in the process.

Craig

Exactly what i was going to say.

Christ was tempted by saten, but it is not the same as haveing Christ lust, desire, or want those things which satan tried to make Him long for.

Being tempted, and coveting something, are two very different things.

As craig said, i second! Great example craig, and i am with you brother! =]

We got to pay attention to the words as ray says. So by God's grace, let us look with open eyes and open ears!

God bless,

Alex

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »

Great point Craig,

This is another angle of coveting and lust and the other sins that can arise even though a physical act has not been made.

My neighbor just pulled in his driveway with a brand new Corvette, loaded.

Why can he afford something like that and I can't? If only I had that car my life would be so much more enjoyable. Is he just trying to make himself look like a big shot? Is he selling drugs? I bet he is cheating on his taxes. (Is thinking like this sin?)

I want that car!

But I did not steal it. (So I am Christlike and guiltless?)

Peace,

Joe

Exacty Joe, Christ says, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! So sorry, you are not Christ like and guitless, but i have a strong feeling you already knew that! ;)

Grateful

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between thoroughly enjoying a piece or two of Ghirardelli milk chocolate every day, or nearly so, and "lusting after the things of the world"?  Am I supposed to give up chocolate in order to rid myself of an enjoyable "habit" (to which I'm not really severelly addicted) ?   I've thought about this a good while, and haven't been able to come up with a "Spiritual answer", as I do not feel guilty about enjoying a bit of good chocolate when possible.  Soooo, anyone else have any experience with this or other food preferences, as far as "lusting after the things of the world" is concerned?  (I've been told by a Fundamentalist Christian, (quoted from the Bible) :  "All things in moderation.")

Puzzled,

Linda

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

Hi Linda,

This verse is probably the one quoted by your friend;

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

If all you were eating was chocolate now that would be intemperate, or if you were taking it from a coworkers lunchbox without asking or spending money on it that instead should be spent on food for a dependent or some other obligation than there would be an issue, but enjoying a tasty snack, don't be troubled by this one bit!

Col 2:16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Peace,

Joe

Gregor

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »

Greetings,
Perhaps I should have been more specific. When the tenth commandment says "thou shalt not covet" it isn't saying "thou shalt not act on the desire" -  it is saying not to have the desire. Like Ray teaches, we can outwardly keep all other 9 commandments, but the 10th is the kicker. We're all guilty because it goes to the heart of the matter. I am really looking for an answer that distinguishes between the sin of coveting and simply desiring something, or whether the two are one in the same?

Craig

Craig, this is the kind of statement that comes closest to answering my question. If I read you right, you're not saying accepting the car would be a sin, but that by desiring it in the first place is the sin?

I just finished reading Matt.6. The verse that struck me the most is vs.[33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Pss.24:1 The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

So if I'm desiring anything other than Christ himself, technically I'm coveting that which belongs to the Lord in the first place. It is His to bless me with, not something for me to pursue. Does this mean that I should feel guilty for "wanting" a piece of chocolate, or a better car, or house etc? Only if that desire preempts my seeking the kingdom, and His righteousness. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof - there's plenty of distractions to pull my eyes off Jesus. Boy do I need a heart transplant - to put on Christ daily, by the minute even.

Can anyone describe what it means to "walk in the Spirit" or "live in the Spirit"?  If you are walking in the Spirit what are you doing?? might be the better question.

M_Oliver, there's a thread on this exact question(s). It is currently on pg.2.

Peace to all
G.

Grateful

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »

Hi Linda,

This verse is probably the one quoted by your friend;

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

If all you were eating was chocolate now that would be intemperate, or if you were taking it from a coworkers lunchbox without asking or spending money on it that instead should be spent on food for a dependent or some other obligation than there would be an issue, but enjoying a tasty snack, don't be troubled by this one bit!

Col 2:16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Peace,

Joe

O, THANK you for pointing these things out to me, Joe!   :D

Greetings,
Perhaps I should have been more specific.

I just finished reading Matt.6. The verse that struck me the most is vs.[33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Pss.24:1 The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

So if I'm desiring anything other than Christ himself, technically I'm coveting that which belongs to the Lord in the first place. It is His to bless me with, not something for me to pursue. Does this mean that I should feel guilty for "wanting" a piece of chocolate, or a better car, or house etc? Only if that desire preempts my seeking the kingdom, and His righteousness. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof - there's plenty of distractions to pull my eyes off Jesus. /quote]

ooooooo, YESSSSSSSS, Gregor, we DO have PUH-LENTY of distractions that sooooo constantly keep our minds OFF Jesus and our Father!!!   In fact, the Buddhists have a term for it :  "Monkey Mind"  ---  meaning that our mind keeps up a chattering alllllll day long, if we LET IT!!   I'm guilty of not yet being able to KEEP my mind COMPLETELY FOCUSED on Christ every single nanosecond!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Oh, HOW I HATE that!!  (Sorry to use such a strong word, but I so deeply wish I could "Pray without ceasing"!!    Could somebody in BT Forums pray for me on that, PLEASE?!!  For, I find myself VERY Happy whenever my mind IS resting on Jesus and our Father, or am IN my Father's Arms....)

Have to go now.....I have a hungry husband who wants dinner NOW.   ;D

Love to ALL!

Linda
(P.S.  I messed up this Email....I didn't know how to get OUT of your Quote, Gregor, and start my last paragraph of this email!  Sighhh....I'll LEARN one of these days, soon I hope!)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 02:31:07 AM »

Hello Gregor
Boy do I need a heart transplant - to put on Christ daily, by the minute even.

So from the country where the first physical heart transplant was successfully performed by Dr Chris Barnard  8) ..... ;D

Yes we all do need a heart transplant as King David cried Psalms 51 : 10  Create in me a pure heart O God Why ask for a pure heart? Because a pure heart sees God and a pure heart delights in God Psalm 37 ; 4 DELIGHT YOURSELF IN THE LORD AND HE WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES   OF YOUR (PURIFIED-BY-GOD) HEART. (Caps for emphasis not shouting or yelling at ANYONE :D )

Grace is GOD'S Divine influence on our HEARTS 8) as we have been edified to know and accept through our teachings via Ray. Quoting Ray : even King David, if God had divine influence on his heart, the way it’s suppose to be, why would he go to his death bed squeaking out his last words to his son, Solomon.  Telling him how he wants him to kill all his enemies and make it bloody.  Does that sound like divine influence upon your heart, from God?  It doesn’t sound like that to me.  That’s what grace is, divine - divinity - God - Godly influence on your heart. http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5417.0.html

We need a lung transplant too and actually a LIFE transplant...HIS LIFE. That is what the conception of His Spirit assures us we will experience. To take from the edifying reminder Joe posted quoting Ray in LOF 12 : ALL THESE THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD

Thankfully, we don’t have to accomplish all these many commands by our own power. God also gives us many promises to be with us in every way necessary to assure our success:

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:40:24 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.