bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Romans 3:20 any input on what this means??  (Read 4446 times)

Lacey23

Romans 3:20 any input on what this means??
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in God's sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Romans 3:20

any input on what you think this means?

thanks, Denise

ciy

Re: Romans 3:20 any input on what this means??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:11:01 PM »

The Amplified version gives a little more detail in this verse.

"For no person will be justified (made righteous, acquitted, and judged acceptable) in His sight by observing the works prescribed by the law.  For [the real function of] the law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character]. Romans 3:20

Law keeping builds up the flesh.  It makes one more carnal instead of less carnal.  You begin to judge by the law, so you can think "Hey I keep the law better than Joe does, so I am better than Joe."  That is why Jesus came to abolish the law because as long as you look at the law you are looking through a veil of flesh.  Only when you look on Christ and realize that He is in you can you begin to lose your carnality.

We hear all the time that we should act like Jesus so then people will see Jesus in us.  This seems to me that it cannot be true.  If I force myself to act like Jesus, then I become phariseical and build up my flesh.  Until you want to be Jesus from the inside out, all other effort is of the flesh and cannot inherit the kingdom of God.

I know someone who as a child went fishing with his father all the time and he was miserable, but he would not tell his father.  He merely acted like he liked it, suffered through and found out later that his father recognized it and did not completely enjoy it either.  Then over the years as he grew and began to like fishing himself from the inside out and loved going fishing with his father.  Not only did he enjoy it but his father recognized the true joy also.  The same is true with us.  We are going to do what our Father wants us to do.  If we do not agree from our heart that we love His will, we will be miserable and in bondage.  When we learn to love His will then and only then are we truly set free because we love from our inward parts to do exactly what God causes us to do.

God is amazing.
CIY

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »

Hello Denise

To add to what ciy has contributed, for me the Scriputes that come to mind are :

Rom 9 : 16 So then God's gift is not a questin of human will and human effort, but of God's mercy. It depends not on one's own willingness nor on his strenuous exertions as in running a race, but on ~God's mercy on Him.

2Cor 3 : 14 In fact, their minds were grown hard and calloused, they had become dull and had lost the power of understanding, for until this present day, when the Old Testament IS BEING READ, THAT SAME VEIL STILL LIES ON THEIR HEARTS, not being lifted to reveal that in Christ it is made VOID AND DONE AWAY.

Gal 5 : 4 If you seek to be justified and declared righteous and to be given a right standing with God through the Law, you are brought to nothing and so separated from Christ. You have fallen away from grace.

Ray gives a wonderful teaching on GRACE. This provides deeper insight for me as to the meaning of Rom 3 : 20 Here is what Ray teaches. Quote :

1 Cor 15: 10 “But by the grace of God I am what I am: and His grace  (divine influence on the heart) which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all (labored):  yet not I (labored), but the grace of God (labored) which was with me (labored).” 

There it is, the grace of God….labors. 
In the Lake of Fire series I showed that grace is a verb.  We learn that when we are judged we are chastened of the Lord, 1 Cor 11: 32.  Chastening defines how God judges us.  Now we are about to learn something very profound here, if we can get it.

Titus 2:11  “For the grace of God that brings salvation hath appeared to all men,
v. 12  Teaching us….”

What is doing the teaching?  Grace is doing the teaching.  It’s laboring - it’s teachings - it’s the divine influence of God on our heart, it‘s teaching us.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5417.0.html

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

dessa

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »

Denise, perhaps giving experiences in my life can shed some light on Romans 3:20.

Before I accepted Jesus Christ and believed in His Deity, I was a law abiding, self sufficient citizen.  The law told me what would get me into trouble.  Of course I didn't keep all of the laws so breaking one law made me a law breaker.  (driving 60 miles an hour in a 55 mph zone).  I also thought I was an ethical person.

In my late twenties God brought about my change of heart in a marvelous way and I wanted, needed, a relationship with Him. 

A few years passed and I eagerly began reading the entire Bible for the first time.  I came across the scripture that read about wanting to commit adultery was the same as committing adultery.  I thought to myself, "no way!"  Doing is worse than thinking! I had much to learn...

Today I know that what I think in my heart is what I am and in the flesh I am as filthy rags.  I must die to self.  And without God's help I can not even do that.

It is our inner being that is important to God.  We cannot become like Jesus without His help.  Putting on the covering of Christ is just the beginning.
Shalom,
dessa

Jackie Lee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »

Thank you Dessa for that post it helped me a bunch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.