bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signs in the Stars?  (Read 5247 times)

fe32k

Signs in the Stars?
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:12:09 AM »

I once wrote to Ray regarding the stars. I asked him if attempting to read the stars is condemned by the scriptures and he answers by quoting this scripture in Genesis:

Gen 1:14  "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years"

This tells me that this is fine and that Ray approves of it. Is it possible I misunderstood what he was trying to say? Can some one shed some light on this? I am quite fascinated by the stars, planets, sun and moon and their alignments. The late Dr. Ernest Martin made a very interesting article on this as well and it got me thinking a lot. Does anyone here have other interesting things to add to this subject?

Roy

jER

Re: Signs in the Stars?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:59:23 AM »

To Add:

"THUS the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them." (Genesis 2:1)

"And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven." (Deuteronomy 4:19)

"And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;" (Deuteronomy 17:3)

"And they left all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made them molten images, even two calves, and made a grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served Baal." (2 Kings 17:16)

"For he (Manasseh) built up again the high places which Hezekiah his father had destroyed (had broken down); and he reared up altars for Baal (Baalim), and made a grove (or groves) as did Ahab king of Israel; and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served them." (2 Kings 21:3)

"And he built altars for all the host of heaven in the two courts of the house of the LORD." ( 2 Kings 21:5)

"And the king commanded Hilkiah the high priest, and the priests of the second order, and the keepers of the door, to bring forth out of the temple of the LORD all the vessels that were made for Baal (the whole apparatus of idol worship), and for the grove, and for all the host of heaven: and he burned them without Jerusalem in the fields of Kidron, and carried the ashes of them unto Bethel." (2 Kings 23:4)

"And he put down the idolatrous priests , whom the kings of Judah had ordained to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah, and in the places round about Jerusalem; them also that burned incense unto Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to the planets and to all the host of heaven." (2 Kings 23:5)

"Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee [YOU]." (Nehemiah 9:6)

"And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine and as a falling fig from the fig tree." [Isaiah 34:4 (see Revelation 6:13)]

"And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth." (Jeremiah 8:2)

"They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spoke it, neither came it into my mind:" (Jeremiah 19:5)

Now, what did you see in these scriptures? Did you see that the host of heaven is mentioned as the sun, the moon and the stars.
And, did you also notice that the sun, moon and the stars were worshiped as gods which was prohibited by the TRUE GOD!

...and let them be for signs...seasons...days...years (not for worship).

A friend in Christ

-jER

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »

Hi Roy,

I guess i just dont understand the phrase, "Reading the stars" Whats all involved in that?

I look at the stars...I see the big dipper,...Perhaps wonder about distance and size of this wonderful specticle...I look and ponder, how vast , how marvelous, how beautiful a thing God has made.

Chris R

fe32k

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »

Hey,

Please do not misinterpret me. Only one is worthy of my worship and that is God. I am not in any way suggesting that we should worship the stars and the moon and the sun... etc. Let me rephrase. As most of us may know, many cultures in the past especially the mayans and including the Israelites used the stars to determines the times and seasons, etc. But they were also used as warnings, predictions and confirm certain events. The best example of this is the Star that signified the coming of our Savior. The magi that found Christ, were star gazers, or interpreters of the stars. And they understood this star ( which I believe was a real star) to signify the birth of a king (one worthy of worship for that matter). Of course these were pagan men and I am not saying we should follow their ways, but then why include this if it has no validity? I mean look at this for example:

Revelation 12:1
And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars

this is obviously a reference to signs in the heavens. I think Ray made it clear in his reply to me that looking for the stars for signs is scriptural. This doesn't mean I will become an astrologer, just that we shouldn't condemn the practice if it is done scripturally. Or am I waay off? Any comments are welcome.

Roy

skydreamers

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »

Hey Roy,

This subject has fascinated me too.  I think there is a vast difference between "worshiping" stars as the pagans did, or seeking to tell the future as astrologers do, etc. and studying the stars as in astronomy.  Let them be for "signs"....the book of revelation is full of signs, in fact the whole bible is full of signs.  Is it any wonder that the physical world around us, including the stars, should also be full of signs?

I'm convinced that everything physical points to a spiritual truth.  The stars have a story to tell and it's the same one we are told about in the scriptures....the plan of salvation! 

Here are a couple of links I found really interesting pertaining to this subject:

xxxxxxxxxX

Sorry Diana, this post is against the forum rules.

No preaching (including preaching via links).
Links are not allowed if a site or article brings its own teaching or preaching.  Links are allowed if a site it just for fun or informational, ie, you tube, google translator, Esword, etc.
Sorry :'(

Peace to you,
Diana
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:09:26 PM by Craig »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 06:34:23 PM »

Hello Roy

I happen to have made an in-depth study of Astrology. There are rising and ascending suns moons and the planets play a part in this error of teaching. Time and longitude and latitude of birth also pay a part in the formulations of fortune telling. We know what the Scriptures warn against fortune telling. I have repented for following teachings of demons, lying divination's and false visions.

I personally do not believe that Ray gives the green light to involve oneself in such things as Astrology. When he wrote quote : Gen 1:14  "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years"

I believe that Ray meant that the lights are signs for SEASONS AND FOR DAYS, AND YEARS and NOT for fortune telling! (Caps to give emphasis only not meant as shouting at you or high handedness from me. )

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

skydreamers

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:40:24 PM »

Here are a couple of links I found really interesting pertaining to this subject:

xxxxxxxxxX

Sorry Diana, this post is against the forum rules.

No preaching (including preaching via links).
Links are not allowed if a site or article brings its own teaching or preaching.  Links are allowed if a site it just for fun or informational, ie, you tube, google translator, Esword, etc.
Sorry  :'(

No problem.  I understand.  Thanks for your continued hard work moderators! :) Peace, Diana

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »

Diana,

I agree with you and I also believe it is true that the wonder of our Lord's creative genius is everywhere seen in the beauty of His Creation. His Cosmic creations are fascinating!

Rom 1 : 20 From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature.

Psalms 19 : 1 The heavens tell of the Glory of God. The skies display His marvelous craftsmanship.  Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make HIM KNOWN. They speak without a sound or a word; their voice is silent in the skies.Yet their message has gone out to all the earth, and their words to all the world. NLT

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:02:09 PM by Arcturus »

DuluthGA

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 01:19:59 AM »

As an aside:  Don't feel bad Diana, this too has sort of inadvertently happened to me to be informed by a moderator that I have broken forum rules, where I thought I was simply being informative.   

So easy to slip on this one!

:)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 02:49:15 AM by DuluthGA »

fe32k

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »

This is all great input. Thanks everyone.

Astrology is just one of those terms that I believe we were programmed to stay away from from our days in babylon. The reason I believe the scriptures condemn it is because it was done maliciously and many times they were just plainly lying for personal gain and not asking God for revelation. Again, this does not mean I will become an astrologer and start writing horoscopes, but instead use these signs as a hint of things to come. It's just fascinating I think.

GBWY,
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.