bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re the book of Jonah  (Read 3903 times)

chav

Re the book of Jonah
« on: November 12, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »

Hi
I heard Ray on one of his audios discuss the book of Jonah in relation to Jesus quoting from the book of Jonah and how Jesus used the term sign when relating to the story of Jonah.

Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
39 He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Matt12:38

Does this mean that the book of Jonah is not meant to be interpreted as a literal event ? or is it meant to interpreted as an allegory/parable pointing to a higher truth (rich man and Lazarus) that Jesus's answer to the Pharisees seems to be alluding to? Or perhaps both.

Perhaps someone could also help me with this from Matthew 27

Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me." Matt 27:9
I looked for the above quote in Jeremiah  but it does not appear in any of his  writings but in Zechariah 11:12-13. Did Jeremiah record the words of Zechariah thus having this statement attributed to him or is there another possible explanation.

Dave

hillsbororiver

Re: Re the book of Jonah
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »

Hi Dave,

This has been mentioned before and I believe we must look at the words carefully, when the statement "it is wriiten" is used there will documentation in scripture, other times you will read "spoken of" or "it is said" that refers to oral tradition.

As far as Zechariah 11 goes there is evidence that chapters 9-11 were indeed written by Jeremiah and that none of Zechariah after chapter 8 was actually written by him.

I hope this helps.

His Peace to you,

Joe

ciy

Re: Re the book of Jonah
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »

Dave

I think it is your feeling that it is "perhaps both" that is correct.  Because not only is the book of Jonah a parable, the whole bible is a parable.  While the stories all actually happened the power or the timeless truths are in the parable or the different meanings of the happenings.

CIY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 16 queries.