bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defending your family.  (Read 4614 times)

jerreye

Defending your family.
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:27:26 AM »

Hi, I know of certain scriptures that state "resist NOT evil...turn the other cheek" etc. Does this mean that we cannot defend ourselves or our families? If my wife was being attacked by a rapist and I have the chance to save her life, but the only way to do so was to severely hurt or even kill the attacker, do I just sit there and watch as she is raped and possibly murdered or am I permitted to take physical action in order to protect my family?

Yes, I'm sure some will say "thou shalt not KILL"... However, it actually says "thou shalt not MURDER". "Murder" and "killing" are obviously not the same thing. Murder is an evil act for the sole PURPOSE of doing harm on someone, either in revenge, hatred or some other evil intention. Killing to protect your loved ones obviously does not fall in that same category.

Someone else may say, "love thine enemy". Yes! However, killing or hurting an attacker to protect your family does NOT mean that you have a LICK of hatred in your heart towards the individual (enemy) either. So basically, to me, it is an issue of the HEART. I believe your heart is RIGHT to do what is necessary to protect your family from an attacker. However, would your heart be right if you then go out to hunt the individual who attacked your wife to cause harm on him after the fact? I would say no. This would be a spirit of revenge. Giant difference.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:42:04 AM by jerreye »

Robin

Re: Defending your family.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:20:48 AM »

Here is an email I read some time ago and I also had thoughts about protecting my family. I think I would instinctively try to protect my family. I would not have the desire to kill anyone, but someone could get killed unintentionally when trying to stop them. I can't say that I know anyone who could stand by and watch their children being harmed without jumping in to protect them.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3980.0.html

The Bible clearly teaches Christians to be at peace with all men. That we do not war after the flesh, and our weapons are not carnal. Over come evil with good. Love, forgive, pardon, and feed your enemies ("food" not bombs and bullets) Based on both Old and New testament scripture, I am convinced that Christ followers do not have the green light for taking human life for any reason. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR POSITION ON THIS VERY IMPORTANT SUBJECT!                    THANK YOU, BEN

Dear Ben:
    You already have my position on this very important subject, Ben.
    There is no reason for taking another's life, or even harboring
    hatred towards another. We certainly hate the sins, but all
    sinners WILL be spiritually converted and cleansed and saved. We
    must always keep this in mind. I don't hate my detractors who curse
    me to hell. I play with their emotions a little, but I just pity them in
    their sin and deception.
    God be with you,
    Ray

Chris R

Re: Defending your family.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »

Hi Folks,

This subject comes up from time to time, It never turns out well.

It tends to go down the road, twists to military operations, back to protecting ones self, or family, then after four pages of posts, we end up with the same questions.

Time to move on

Sorry

Chris R
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.