bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biblical Principles  (Read 6631 times)

hillsbororiver

Biblical Principles
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:17 AM »

The bible does not provide us with an answer for every potential situation that may arise each day in our lives, but it does give us certain principles that should guide us through most anything, especially if we are in humble prayer seeking His will and not our own.

Here is one principle, anyone care to add to this?

1Ti 5:8  But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Peace,

Joe

jerreye

Re: Biblical Principles
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »

I was actually thinking of this very verse in regards to my post yesterday (now locked) on defending your family from an attacker. I believe to provide for your own is not just in bread and butter but also in love and in protection, etc, etc. This is what I learn from this principle. :)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »

Hi jerreye,

I had a feeling.......  ;)

Chris had an excellent reason for locking the other thread for exactly the reasons he mentioned, it grows into a justification debate over the military and other things.

There is no doubt that providing for others is what we are called to do even to protect those who are unable to fend for themselves whether it be physically or mentally or if they are in danger becoming the victim of a con man or a scam of some sort. Keeping in mind temperence in all things and that vengeance toward another person should never be a motivation in our actions or thoughts.

We are well advised by scripture to try to avoid hypothetical worries and distresses as each day brings enough trouble for us to deal with as it is.

Matthew 6:34 So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own. Sufficient for each day is its own trouble. (Amplified Bible)

His Peace to you,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

Hello Joe

Just some thoughts that have been with me for a while and are refreshing for me to review again in response to your topic.  :)

Jezebel incited Ahab to take possession of the vineyard of Naboth 1 Kings 21: 18 (wives to Babylonian TBN leaders? I think so! )  She fell from her window as prophesied and dogs ate her up! Why? Because she was united and directed and incited her husband to possess property that was illegal and were the proceeds of crime wrongfully gained  and evil in the sight of God. Ahab repented and Jezebel did not. She got eaten.

Abigail humbled herself before King David, admitted her husband Nabel was foolish and wicked and she took responsibility for his errors and asked David for pardon and absolution. She received the mercy and grace of peace from King David and when she told Nabel this is what had happened his "heart died within him" 1 Samuel 25:37. Ten days later he was dead and Abigale became the wife of King David.

Quite a different result to Jezebel who no doubt would never admit her husband was wicked or foolish! Jezebel was eaten. God smote Nabel and he died. Abigale lived and Ahab received repentance and also lived.

What is a woman to do if her husband is an Ahab? Do as Abigale and see his wickedness and repent and beg God for mercy upon him. Don't incite him to make money and take possessions illegally or wrongfully in the eyes of God and join him in his repentance!

What is a woman to do if her husband is wicked and foolish as Nabel?  Do as Abigail and see his wickedness and foolishness and repent and beg God for mercy upon him. Do not do as Jezebel and oppose reject and take over from him in the commercial field of taking or acquiring assets illegally and wrongfully.

As for you men folks. You might want to answer as to what to do if you are following in either the foot steps of an Ahab or a Nabel.....Ahab repented and Nabel was smitten by God and died.

Pretty sobering scriptures I believe that witness to your most thought provoking topic Joe! Your bottom line to jerreye is the answer to male and female I believe.....

Matthew 6:34 So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own. Sufficient for each day is its own trouble. (Amplified Bible)

Thank you!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:44:46 PM by Arcturus »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

Those are some stark and sobering examples of what will eventually befall anyone (male or female) who does not seek His will first and attempts doing what they perceive to be gainful or is right in their own eyes.

His Peace to you Sister,

Joe

jerreye

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »

Thanks, Joe, glad you agree with me ;)

jER

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »

The bible does not provide us with an answer for every potential situation that may arise each day in our lives, but it does give us certain principles that should guide us through most anything, especially if we are in humble prayer seeking His will and not our own.

Here is one principle, anyone care to add to this?

1 Timothy 5:8  But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

… the Scriptures give us many principals in which to live by, from the importance of sanitation and health;

"You shall also have a place outside the camp and go out there, and you shall have a spade among your tools, and it shall be when you sit down outside, you shall dig with it and shall turn to cover up your excrement" (Deuteronomy 23:12-13).

… to Instruction in Righteousness;

"All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly, furnished unto all good works"(2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Many who profess to study the Scriptures completely disregard this vital principle. Rather than seeking the truth, they look for verses that appear to support their personal beliefs, and knowingly ignore the verses that clearly contradict their [own] opinion.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1Thessalonians 5:21).

"…to Him Who Knows to Do Good and Does Not Do It, to Him it is Sin" (James 4:17).

JER

Note to the wise: Your wives really want "indoor plumbing" - during camping trips!   ;)

Matt

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »

1Ti 5:8  But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

This verse has come up recently for me.  My daughter turned 18 last Spring and has been constantly exercising her "sovereignty" as an adult.  Without going into detail, she has become quite a handful. 
The pastor of the church I recently stopped attending, told me it was time kick her out :o.  I argued that I am not going to do this, it just did not feel right to give up on her. 
This verse, though I could not recall it from memory, was somehow guiding me (God's spirit actually) to the right decision to not give up on her.  I can't believe that someone would suggest this and say he follows Christ, mind boggling!

Matt

Beloved

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:11:19 PM »

As Ray would say you have to look at the words and what they mean.

(1Ti 5:8 KJV+)  But1161 if1487 any5100 provide not for4306, 3756 his own,2398 and2532 especially3122 for those of his own house,3609 he hath denied720 the3588 faith,4102 and2532 is2076 worse5501 than an infidel.571

G4306  προνοέω  pronoeō    pron-o-eh'-o
From G4253 and G3539; to consider in advance, that is, look out for beforehand (active voice by way of maintenance for others; middle voice by way of circumspection for oneself): - provide (for).

This translation captures the meaning better
(1Ti 5:8 ALT)  But if anyone does not make provision for his own and especially his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

This seems to me to have a more defensive posture rather than a offensive one.

Beloved

skydreamers

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:14:43 AM »

Hi Joe,

For me, this is a very comforting scripture:

If God does not provide (that is, look out for beforehand) His own (everyone belongs to God), and especially for those of his household (Now therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God, Eph 2:19...we are God's building, 1 Co 9) He would deny His own faith and be worse than an unbeliever.

Since God is the author and finisher of our faith than it is impossible for Him to be an unbeliever, just as it is impossible that He would not look after His own.

we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
1 Timothy 4:10

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:8

Peace,
Diana
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:14:20 PM by skydreamers »

jER

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 12:48:35 AM »

Diana,

"Love the Spirit in which you Spoke."

The author and finisher of our faith - JER
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.