bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: God is creating (present) man in His image?  (Read 22933 times)

Joey Porter

God is creating (present) man in His image?
« on: April 27, 2006, 11:03:05 PM »

I heard Ray say that the true translation of Genesis 1:27 is that God is creating man in His image - as opposed to created (past tense).  This makes sense in that Adam couldn't have sinned if he were perfect.

However, I haven't heard or seen anywhere else that the Hebrew does state that it is a present tense action.  Has anyone looked into this or does anyone have anything to offer?  Thanks.

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:12:57 PM »

I had the same thought. If the word means "creating" and not "created" (past tense) then is the world and heavens still being "created"?

bobf

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 11:47:21 PM »

It doesn't really matter because God calls those things that will be as if they already are.

Genesis 17:4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.  5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

Romans 4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
[/b]

Lightseeker

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 12:07:41 AM »

Bob,

Good point.  The Romans verse you shared was used in a teaching I once read by 'ole' AP Adams on this subject.  He said that there are two accounts of creation in the first two chapters of Genesis.  He said that account one is from 1:1-2:4 and that God is speaking prophetically calling that which is to be as though it were because if God spoke it His word will not return void and it will come to pass.

In 2:4 we actually have the beginning of that formative process that was spoken 'to be'.  God has not yet rested in his work with creation even as Jesus spoke:

JOH 5:17  But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.  

Laren

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 12:27:11 AM »

I don't know anything about Hebrew or tenses, but the Concordant version translated it as this:

Gen 1:27 And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it. Male and female He creates them.

orion77

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:10:54 AM »

Sometimes our own experiences that God has given us speaks louder than words.  Can any of us honestly say or think that God is not creating us into a new creature?

God bless,

Gary

alucard

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:29:38 AM »

this is the best i could find

Genesis 1:27
Wayibraa' 'Elohiym 'et - haa'aadaam btsalmow btselem 'Elohiym baaraa' 'otow zaakaar uunqeebaah baaraa' 'otaam

it's should be the original text but i can't translate it but if anyone can there it is

something i do know is the word hadaam is translated man but a more proper translation is humanity.so it should go god is creating humanity in his image

alucard

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:08:08 AM »

the (Contemporary English Version)and the (Young's Literal Translation) sounds on topic with ray and that's two witnesses but in the end i believe were still being created to be in his likeness

(New International Version)
27 So God created man in his own image,
       in the image of God he created him;
       male and female he created them.

(New American Standard Bible)
27God created man (A)in His own image, in the image of God He created him; (B)male and female He created them.

(The Message)
27God created human beings;

he created them godlike,

Reflecting God's nature.

He created them male and female.

(Amplified Bible)
27So God created man in His own image, in the image and likeness of God He created him; male and female He created them

(New Living Translation)
    So God created people in his own image;
       God patterned them after himself;
       male and female he created them.

(King James Version)
27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

(English Standard Version)
27So God created man in his own image,
   in the image of God he created him;
   male and female he created them

(Contemporary English Version)
27So God created humans to be like himself; he made men and women

(New King James Version)
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

(21st Century King James Version)
27So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them

(American Standard Version)
27 And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

(Young's Literal Translation)
27And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them

(Darby Translation)
27And God created Man in his image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

(New Life Version)
27And God made man in His own likeness. In the likeness of God He made him. He made both male and female.

(Holman Christian Standard Bible)
27 So God created man in His own image;

He created him in the image of God;

He created them male and female.

(New International Reader's Version)
27So God created man in his own likeness.
       He created him in the likeness of God.
       He created them as male and female

(New International Version - UK)
27So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God

he created him;

male and female

he created them.

love_magnified

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:22:54 AM »

When the Israelites built the tent called the Tabernacle, it was an image of the real one in Heaven. Romans 5: Adam was a type of Christ to come.

If God had created Adam to be exactly like God:

1) He would not have had flesh to be tempted by but would have been a spirit.

2) He never would have sinned.

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 11:26:45 AM »

That is right LM. If man was created at first as a done fact, in Gods image, that would make God a sinner. We know thats not so. WE are a process in making.
Roms8:29-For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of the son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethern.
1Cor15:49-And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we SHALL also bear the image of the heavenly.

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »

That is right LM. If man was created at first as a done fact, in Gods image, that would make God a sinner. We know thats not so. WE are a process in making.
Roms8:29-For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of the son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethern.
1Cor15:49-And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we SHALL also bear the image of the heavenly.

ertsky

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 12:48:45 PM »

one day blessing, comfort, revelation, and great joy

the next day trials, tribulation, chastening, scourging, testing

LOL! oh it's a process alright, as so many have wonderfully pointed out here !

Phi 1:29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

well our light affliction LOL! light affliction, it's all in the point of view

2Co 4:17  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Co 4:18  While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

i love that verse Kevin quoted

very comforting verse in trials

f

Deedle

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 01:49:55 PM »

Jesus Christ is the True Image of God!

When reading the OT remember:

Heb 10:1  
For the law [OT] having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2Co 3:6  
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 7  But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8  How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9  For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 10  For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 11  For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious. 12  Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: 13  And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14  But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 15  But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Rom 1:20  
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Jer 18:4  
And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. 5  Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 6  O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

1Co 15:46  
Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47  The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Col 1:15  
Who [Jesus Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Rom 8:29  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

It's always been a process! Let us follow our Lord's example.

Heb 2:10  
For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings

And we like Paul can say:

Col 1:24  
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Gal 2:20  
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Deedle  :D

rvhill

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
I had the same thought. If the word means "creating" and not "created" (past tense) then is the world and heavens still being "created"?

It would make perfect sense from a scientific point of view, and it would mean that we are still on the 6th day, or the day of man. The next age would be the age that God rest in? So we have yet to reach the 7th day.

Lightseeker

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »

[KJV] GEN 1:26  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:...

There is a cry from the seed/spirit that is in every man.  And the spirit/seed that's in every man, came from "the Father of spirits" and  "God of the spirits of all flesh". Every human is born with an inherent desire to manifest the likeness of Him.

Every human is in His image and pursuing "after His likeness".  Unfortunately the unsaved world is still seeking via the tree of knowledge, and the nominal church has distorted the truth about Him and therefore his likeness also.   For that reason, it has raised a bunch of children who are the product of that distored likeness.

Adam and Eve weren't 'like' God and that's why the devil tempted them in that very area...of likeness.

[RSV] GEN 3:5  For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

The cry of their spirit was to be "like" God but they partook of the soulish deception of acheiving that goal.  But God wants us to know good and evil from the perspective of the tree of life...and not "the tree of knowledge/experience of good and evil".  Adam and Eve's 'soulish deception' is what sentenced them to being dying souls instead of the 'living souls' they were, when they walked in obedience.

It appears that man was/is created and formed in the "image of God" but that we must grow "after" His character to manifest His likeness.  If I say you're the spitting image of your father I mean you look like him.  And if I say you're just like your father I mean you act like him.  By image, I think we are a triune being of spirit, soul, body.  He is a triune being of Father, Son, Spirit.  He is "like" the fruit of the Spirit and so also must we become like Him...in that same character.

Joey Porter

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 01:57:44 AM »

Thanks to all for the replies and research.

ertsky

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 06:37:25 AM »

lightseeker

neither Ray nor Mike or hardly anyone here at bt accepts the doctrine of the trinity!

it's a false doctrine lightseeker

http://bible-truths.com/trinity.html

have a read and see what you think

f

Lightseeker

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 05:18:06 PM »

ertsky
neither Ray nor Mike or hardly anyone here at bt accepts the doctrine of the trinity!

it's a false doctrine lightseeker

http://bible-truths.com/trinity.html

have a read and see what you think

f
Thanks for the feedback on that local doctrinal POV.  I'll take a look at the teaching.  I don't fully accepts many of the traditional points concerning the doctrine to begin with.  But the point  of us being a trinity is consisitant with the image concept...I think.  :wink:  I often fellowship with people who are considered as "cults"  :evil:  by the nominal church, simply because they don't believe in the trinity doctrine.  I respond with the fact that nothing in the bible requires belief in the trinity for being birthed into the family of God.  And I haven't found a person or group yet that didn't have what I considered to be 'false doctrine'.  I'm sure I do...and if I knew which part was false I'd change it.

I now just tell people, "It's good to have the opinion that you are right, but it is bad to have the opinion that everyone else is wrong."  I've come to that position from 34 years of changing my doctrinal opinions.  8)

ertsky

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »

it seems pretty straight forward to me Lightseeker :)

the trinity is a false doctrine

Joh 14:16  And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

2Co 3:17  Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
2Co 3:18  But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

it is bad to have the opinion that everyone else is wrong

Lightseeker that sort of statement doesn't fit at all into my understanding of faithfulness to the doctrine of Christ

2Jo 1:9  Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jo 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
2Jo 1:11  For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

or

Tit 3:10  A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
Tit 3:11  Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

i have no unity with trinitarians, they are decieved

i should know i used to be one :) how i rue the day i accepted that false doctrine.

are you a trinitarian Lightseeker, your post sure made it look that way ?

f

Lightseeker

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 11:39:01 PM »

ertsky,

it seems pretty straight forward to me Lightseeker

That's the very point that I was making earlier.  Things that the church taught seemed 'pretty straight foreward to me'...years ago...and now, I no longer believe them.  Take the following verse which you quoted.

Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Because man capitalized the S I used to believe that The Holy Spirit dwelled within me too.  Now I don't.  I believe my spirit became holy upon the new birth.  The only body that I see The Holy Spirit in, is the 'many membered' 'singular body' of Christ Rom 12:5, 1Cor 12:12, Eph 2:19-22, .  But that should be another thread.   :shock:

Lightseeker that sort of statement doesn't fit at all into my understanding of faithfulness to the doctrine of Christ

You should reread your 1John and Titus quotes in context.  I think you'll find that fellowship isn't based upon your/my doctrinal talk...it's based upon our walk...in obedience to the commandments.  That's in both of your quotes...start at verse 1 and read them again.  You're making 'fellowship requirements' which are based upon agreement, which simply makes a 'dead letter' of the law of doctrine IMO.  Personally, I'd rather talk it wrong and walk it right than talk it right and walk it wrong.  On the day of judgment we'll all be judged for every deed ... not every doctrine.  

TIT 3:10  A man that is an heretick/0141 after the first and second admonition reject;  

0141 hairetikos: a schismatic

Know what a schismatic is f? According to scripture it isn't someone who believes in heresy...it's someone who divides the church over differences of opinion.  One saying I'm of Paul, Appolos, Cephas.

1CO 11:18  For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19  For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Approval from God doesn't come from 'talking' in oneness but 'walking' in oneness.  All the above is just my opinion of course.   :D

Sorry this was so long.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.